Author Topic: A suggestion: Cockpits  (Read 7023 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by vyper
3D Cockpit = Polys

more polys = more to render

more to render per frame = slower frame rate

You do the remaining maths.

OMG!!! WE HAVE TOO MANY POLIES!!111oneoneone How can we ever play with a cockpit?!?!? We only have 3 or 4 super-high poly ships already in teh media vp!!111oneoneonetwotwotwo

Come on, how much of a performance hit could 2000 extra polies ACTUALLY have? I'll accept the "it's too hard to code," but not the "it's too much of a performance drain." Come on, we've got high poly ships becoming standard fair, what's a cockpit that has a total polycount less than HALF of most of those ships gonna do?

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
*sigh* how many times do i have to bring this up?

do you see the HUD there? in-game, that's taking up the whole screen. that's why a cockpit wouldn't make sense.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Lynx

Yeah, and we keep ignoring it!:p

And that's one fighter cockpit out of all the ships in FS. And what about WC Saga? And TBP? And TAP? I'm sure there are enough non FS mods out there that could make good use of that feature.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm pretty sure someone just stuck that in the picture to look cool.  The HUD has way too large a FOV to be that size in the cockpit.

Boy, who needs a HUD?! Cockpit ROCKS :lol: :D
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by Carl

do you see the HUD there? in-game, that's taking up the whole screen. that's why a cockpit wouldn't make sense.

Um, it's about eye-candy, Carl. Besides, that's Freespace. There's about 20 TCs out there that could use this, not to MENTION that it would be cool enough alone to have an FS cockpit in Freespace

Offline JR2000Z

:doubt:
I guess it could work if you had both a regular view and cockpit view. You can use the cockpit view to see what's going around you or whatever while you can use the regular view for your classic dogfighting. Kinda like F22 Lightning II for those who played it.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
make it completely optional and off by default. then people who want to use it, like me, can turn it on and everyone else can leave it off and stop complaining about it.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Everything has got to be 3D?  We are working just fine with a 2D overlay.  You can add and remove it with a push of a button.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Um, there's no doubt how much better a 3D panel can be over a 2D one. And a 3D panel with 2D buttons (as textures) would be even better.

Offline JR2000Z

Don't forget lightning effects.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Oh and after that, lets do cockpit reflections...  I don't know, If it's worth the trouble, especially with the game already out of perspective, although Ferrium could implement this
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
SCP already has all the mappings that could make a decent cockpit - reflection/enviroment, diffuse, shine, glow mapping.

Bob recently showed us his awsome shadowing algorythm.
Bubpmapping is among the plans - so is overexposure.

So graphicaly SCP is up to the challenge.

It IS optional just like almost everything else with SCP.
The CODERS will have to tell hard it would be to implement.
It WON'T be too much of a resource drain.

Check out Mechwarrior 3 - the cockpits are pretty low-poly. What makes them exceptional is the awsomely done textures.

SCP already has a wast array of mappings to make the best out of it.

BTW a 3D cocpit offers a lot more than a 2D overlay, such as: padlock view, animated pilot model, acceleration effects

...and how about sniping a ship for yourself in drydock or in-launch? A very precise hit with a sniper weapon could blow the pilot leaving the ship undamaged - of course it wouldn't work if the shields are up, or if you didn't hit him through the acces hatch (roughly 30cm across).
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
Oh and after that, lets do cockpit reflections...  I don't know, If it's worth the trouble, especially with the game already out of perspective, although Ferrium could implement this

You'd rather see it in SCP than in Ferrium I daresay.

SCP should be able to do exactly that as it is already. All that's needed is the code to allow for 3D modelled cockpits.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
[q]OMG!!! WE HAVE TOO MANY POLIES!!111oneoneone How can we ever play with a cockpit?!?!? We only have 3 or 4 super-high poly ships already in teh media vp!!111oneoneonetwotwotwo[/q]

Congratulations you just got lazy.

The point I'm making is that i'd rather those 100-1000 polys were spent on making the actual other ships, planets, et al look better. Remember, it doesn't sound much until you add it to everything else. 100 polys can make the difference between a smooth frame rate and a stuttery one depending on the system.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Lynx

for people who would have performance problems, the option to turn it off would be just one mouse-click away! w00t!:p
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
*sigh*
again cockpits.
someone really has to code it just to avoid reding a new cockpit thread in future:p
meanwhile the coders work, someone who really badly need it could render a 3d cockpit and overlay a 2d image to the hud.
btw give this option to the modders who want to do it.
Don't ask me to do them till you start paying me:p

Offline Lynx

Originally posted by KARMA
*sigh*
again cockpits.
someone really has to code it just to avoid reding a new cockpit thread in future:p
meanwhile the coders work, someone who really badly need it could render a 3d cockpit and overlay a 2d image to the hud.
btw give this option to the modders who want to do it.
Don't ask me to do them till you start paying me:p

Problem is that it'd have to use the HUD palette which woul look absolutely weird if the struts have the same color as the HUD and are transparent in parts.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Carl

In order for that HUD to take up the entire view, you'd have to be sitting with your nosed pressed against the glass.

Now that doesn't make sense.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by Lynx

Problem is that it'd have to use the HUD palette which woul look absolutely weird if the struts have the same color as the HUD and are transparent in parts.

not really, the coders already said that they were ready to put in game whatever 2d cockpit image was created, they just didn't implement it because nobody created those images, but everything should be already there sitting for someone interested in this..