Author Topic: XP-specific bug?  (Read 912 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I was installing FS2 on a friend's computer, but the Launcher was never able to read the flags file. As near as I could tell, it was because the FS2 EXE couldn't create the flags file, since the read-only checkbox was checked.

We tried everything, including using attrib to unset the read-only attribute, but nothing worked. (He was using XP in single-user mode, and I checked users and he was an admin, and there was no security tab to be fudged with.) Eventually, I copied over my flags file for 3.6.5, set it to read-only, and the Launcher used that instead.

Once he got it started up, he ran into a bug where text would disappear at th top of the screen in the interface, and ingame, the top of the HUD would often disappear. While playing the training mission, he got right up to the drone, and about 3/4 of the HUD, from the top down, disappeared. (Usually HUD disappearances were accompanied by a flash of white over the screen where the HUD was disappearing.) I thought this might be related to using the font fix (He had an FX5700, and I'd forgotten whether or not it needed to be checked for the card.) He didn't want to quit playing to try unchecking it though. ;)

Has anyone encountered similar bugs to these (Maybe found a fix for them)? Yes, I did search. :p
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, I installed winxp to dual boot with win2k last night, and FS2 ran... And it appears that my settings have been saved, so... I guess I'll have to actually play a mission to see what else is up, ne?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

XP works fine on both my rig and my dads.

AMD64 3000+
1 GB DDR
Radeon 9800 (my rig)/ X800 (Dads)
WinXP 32 Home Edition, Dutch.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm