Author Topic: 3D In-mission Interactive Map, ala TIE Fighter?  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
3D In-mission Interactive Map, ala TIE Fighter?
I think that's the biggest thing I missed from the Star Wars space sims - the 3D map. My thoughts on the implementation:

- Game pauses
- POV zooms out (smooth transition!) to a FRED-like view distance
- ambient lighting is increased so even completely shadowed parts of ships are easily visible
- a spatial grid is drawn on the "floor" plane
- vertical lines are drawn from the each ship directly downwards to the floor plane, perhaps with a little tail indicating ship heading
- fighters are rendered in LOD1 wireframe or briefing icons or whatever, with damage bars above (like strategy games have)
- capships are rendered as-is, LOD-dependant
- flight controls now control the camera position (TIE Fighter had it perfectly), with pitch and yaw rotating the camera around a fixed point on the floor grid, the POV hat (or arrow/number keys) pan around the floor grid (i.e. they move that fixed point), and primary and secondary fire (or throttle?) zooms in and out.
- further along implementation, there would be on-screen controls to view message history, events, etc, and mouse-over (clicking?) on any ship recorded in those screens would draw a line to the ship in the 3d map.
- click on a ship to target it, click again to bring up a detailed view window (akin to clicking on an icon in a briefing map), with details damage stats, cargo, subsystem selection, etc.

Basically make the 3d map a major enhancement of the sensors. If you're feeling especially rambunctious, bonus points for a Battlezone-like implementation of issuing commands. :p

What say you Lords of SCP? Feasable? :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bleah.  Probably a great deal of work for too little gain.  It would be nice but it would require a whole new interface screen and a bunch of annoying new stuff.  Besides, you said you haven't played FS2 in ages. :p

Go check out the Hosted Project Collaboration forum if you want to see something interesting. ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The loadout enhancements? Saw that; that was the inspiration for this in a round-about way. :p

And initially you wouldn't need any interface screen at all - just blank the HUD. :)

EDIT: Ooh, that thread! ;7 ;7 ;7
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Uhm. Sounds like you want a Homeworld-style map.

*Racks brains*

First you'd need to figure out a center, probably the ship the player's in, I'm assuming. At that point it's mostly a matter of translating the coordinates of all ships into an array and drawing them every frame. Damage bars, LODs, icons, whatever are easy to do as long as the projection function works. Rather than increasing ambient lighting you might as well just render without lighting (Unless you want env mapping and such?)

Then you'd have to add controls for the camera, I haven't worked with the control system much, but I'd assume that you'd have to set the rotation amount by how long the key's been held somehow, and compensate for frame delays. Zooming would also be easy, g3_set_view_matrix does have a zoom argument, it'd just be a matter of changing that...

All in all it's possible with the current functions, but it'd take a fair amount of work. I probably know most of the functions to use from the loadout stuff, but that took a lot of trial/error to do and I still don't understand exactly how some things work - I just know they do. ;)
-C

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, without being a coder, I was thinking it'd be less complex than that, since you already have functions or whatever for an external camera view. The main point would be getting a grid on the plane of the elliptic, with lines connecting the ships downwards (or upwards as the case may be) to the grid. Camera controls already exist for manipulating the extarnal camera.

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, I did some poking around and manipulating the camera isn't too hard, nor does disabling ships and effects from rendering. Binding it to keys is a bit more difficult, I tried to track down the zoom in/out keys' effects, but couldn't find the function where they actually modify the view.
-C

Offline Cyker

TIE FIGHTER HAS AN IN-GAME 3D MAP!??!?!?!?!?!?

Godddamnit!!!

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
:wtf:

Anyway, nice idea.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Re: 3D In-mission Interactive Map, ala TIE Fighter?
Originally posted by Sandwich
I think that's the biggest thing I missed from the Star Wars space sims - the 3D map. My thoughts on the implementation:

- Game pauses
- POV zooms out (smooth transition!) to a FRED-like view distance
- ambient lighting is increased so even completely shadowed parts of ships are easily visible
- a spatial grid is drawn on the "floor" plane
- vertical lines are drawn from the each ship directly downwards to the floor plane, perhaps with a little tail indicating ship heading
- fighters are rendered in LOD1 wireframe or briefing icons or whatever, with damage bars above (like strategy games have)
- capships are rendered as-is, LOD-dependant
- flight controls now control the camera position (TIE Fighter had it perfectly), with pitch and yaw rotating the camera around a fixed point on the floor grid, the POV hat (or arrow/number keys) pan around the floor grid (i.e. they move that fixed point), and primary and secondary fire (or throttle?) zooms in and out.
- further along implementation, there would be on-screen controls to view message history, events, etc, and mouse-over (clicking?) on any ship recorded in those screens would draw a line to the ship in the 3d map.
- click on a ship to target it, click again to bring up a detailed view window (akin to clicking on an icon in a briefing map), with details damage stats, cargo, subsystem selection, etc.

Basically make the 3d map a major enhancement of the sensors. If you're feeling especially rambunctious, bonus points for a Battlezone-like implementation of issuing commands. :p

What say you Lords of SCP? Feasable? :)

kinda like Iwar2's starmap system:nod:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lynx

Kazans NAV-map might be a good place to start from. Right now it only shows navpoints, but it prolly could be modified to show ships as well.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Well, I did some poking around and manipulating the camera isn't too hard, nor does disabling ships and effects from rendering. Binding it to keys is a bit more difficult, I tried to track down the zoom in/out keys' effects, but couldn't find the function where they actually modify the view.

Can you set an initial distance the camera zooms out to, say, 5km?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Lynx
Kazans NAV-map might be a good place to start from. Right now it only shows navpoints, but it prolly could be modified to show ships as well.

Huh, since when is it finished ????

Did I miss something ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Lynx

AFAIK it was almost finished.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by Sandwich

Can you set an initial distance the camera zooms out to, say, 5km?

Yes. But the other thing I couldn't figure out was where the entries for turning the ship/camera in freelook were.

I'd like to hear more about Kazan's navmap before I do anything though. If it doesn't require WCS-specific art, it would probably be a good idea to integrate the two somehow (Like with a keypress or something to toggle between navpoints, ships, and both.)
-C

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
and now, for a visual aid.

not exactly "3d" i know, but, it's oh so useful.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 12:33:34 am by 86 »
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------