Author Topic: Fast question about VRAM info  (Read 1312 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Fast question about VRAM info
Can anyone tell me what the VRAM info means (showed with -show_mem_usage flag)? I mean what DYN, POF, C-BMP, S-RAM and VRAM are.

How can I know how much free physical video RAM and total texture, (physical + AGP apertured), RAM I've got?

I would like to check performance impact of AGP use of system RAM but I don't know when my Radeon 9800 Pro 128 runs out of its own memory.

Thank you in advance.

PD: I've updated -show_mem_usage and -static in WIKI. -show_mem_usage only works with debug builds.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Fast question about VRAM info
Can anyone tell me what the VRAM info means (showed with -show_mem_usage flag)? I mean what DYN, POF, C-BMP, S-RAM and VRAM are.
DYN = dynamic memory, basically anything that's been allocated by the vm_* memory functions.  This does NOT indicate total memory usage but does account for most of it.

POF = model memory, how much memory is being used by models (does not include textures)

C-BMP, BMP = bmpman memory, how much is used by the textures/images that are loaded.  C-BMP means that you are using -cache_bitmaps and it will try to keep textures in memory between level loads and as the new level is loading it will keep what it needs and unload what it doesn't.  Can greatly increase level loading speed, but does so at the cost of memory between level loads.  This does not increase overall memory usage though, only during the loading screen.  BMP means that it is not cached and all textures are unloaded from memory at the start of level load and all needed textures are then loaded from the disk again.

S-RAM = sound memory, how much is used by the sounds loaded in memory at the time.  This counts static sounds only (from sounds.tbl, etc.) and not streaming sounds (music, voices, briefing stuff, etc).

V-RAM = approximate memory usage of video textures.  This is not mean that your card has this much memory and can report higher numbers that your card actually has memory.  For OpenGL it also includes some of the geometry data, but this number does not reflect the total memory that your video card is using.  It only reports how much data the game has purposefully loaded into API memory (meaning it could be in system memory, video card memory, or AGP memory).

How can I know how much free physical video RAM and total texture, (physical + AGP apertured), RAM I've got?
You can't really.  I think that Windows can sort of do this but I don't believe that it's all that accurate.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Thank you, Taylor.

I've copied your info in WIKI. Feel free to delete it if you don't want it to be shown.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sounds like exactly the sort of thing that should be in the wiki. Thanks a lot :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]