Author Topic: Laser convergence?  (Read 5221 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I know, but any campaigns that used them (intentionally or not) were balanced with the lack of convergance.  I'm not commenting on design as much as balance with existing ships (and the fact that, should one choose, ships could be balanced via this method).
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Aye, but sometimes you can't hide from the things you've done.

(to be fair, a badly designed freespace fighter is somewhat lower on the scale than napalming a Vietnamese village.....)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just a question:

Wouldn't auto-convergence only work accurately if the speed/range of the target stayed approximately the same between when the laser bolt was fired and when it hit?  i.e., if you had an enemy fighter ~800 units away, and he is selected as the current target (prerequisite for auto-convergence, I assume), and you fire a bolt at him, and he increases his speed, then the shots actually have an even lesser chance of hitting him than if auto-convergence were disabled, because they were all focused on where the target used to be, instead of (possibly intentionally, possibly by accident) spread out slightly in front of the lead indicator, which would have let him run into the shots that would have missed him if he stayed the same speed.

Given this example, I think you'd want an assignable button on the keyboard to be able to turn the feature on/off, as it would be useful in some situations, and not in others.  I imagine to preserve game balance, the AI would have to be able to figure out whether or not to turn this on as well.  (Maybe through some calculation involving the target's distance/speed, and the probability of a hit, as well as the manuverability of the intended target.)

Just a thought.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Well you can miss your target the same way in retail too. If you fire at the lead indicator there is a possibility to miss. As well as there is a possibility to miss if you fire somewhere elswhere, than the lead indicator. But yes, the feature should absolutley be tggleable.
Anyone remember in Starlancer when the enemy was hit by that emp missile thingy and started spinning? The stupid blindfire would automatically miss it :rolleyes:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...toggleable
Yes.
Just to clarify, toggleable in-game, but more like a switch that you could flip in a real fighter to enable or disable a system in your craft.  Not just at the game launch.