Author Topic: n00b thread, but I was wondering....  (Read 1422 times)

n00b thread, but I was wondering....
Alright, so I got the recommended extras off of the SCP website. Where do I put em?

FS2_new_weapon_FX_v0.5a.zip
FS2_Subspace_Upgrade.zip
FS2-HighExplosive2.0.zip
NebulaPatch.zip
Suns_FS2_2.0c.zip
Bobbau_Lightspeed_Maps_V1.2.zip
GlowLTL-build12.0.zip
TGA_Planets_FS2_v2.0.zip
ShineLT-build20.0.zip

And from the forums here, since I was reading and saw that there was something missing in a Nebula Pack somewhere:

ls_neb.rar

Any help would be appreciated. MS Windows installation of retail FS2 with the 3.6.7 build of the SCP installed. I'd also like to get Inferno running as well, if I can. Derelict works great.

Otherwise, kudos to you all for keeping this game alive. I was addicted to Descent since the first one, and Freespace was the icing on the cake that was the Descent series.  :yes:

Later all.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: n00b thread, but I was wondering....

Ack. Tried installing everything, now I get this error when the main hall pops up.

Error: Could not load in 2_MainScreen-M!
File:menuui/mainhallmenu.cpp
Line: 1046
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Do you have a FSO build?

Yes, the official 3.6.7 release.

EDIT: I'm just going to do a clean retail install, patch it, and strictly follow that FAQ from there. That guy knows way more about what he's doing than I do. I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 08:38:29 pm by ArmedStupidity »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I think you just extract those files into your main Freespace 2 directory, or if they have a readme, follow the directions in that.

Yes, but where do the glowmaps go? Or the shinemaps? Because those zips contain more than one kind of file. Argh. >_<

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Glow and shine maps would go under your Data>Maps directory.

All good now?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 08:44:57 pm by Mars »

Not quite yet. What do I do with .pcx files? They register as an image format, but are they really?

Oh, I'm also switching to the non-P4/Athlon64 optimized build of 3.6.7 FSO.

Erm...FSO is the same thing as the Source Code Project, right? I used the retail FS2, patched and dropped the 3.6.7 SCP files into the root dir.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yeah FSO is Freespace Open, which is aprox. the same thing as SCP.

The PCXs should go in the Data>Maps or Date>Effects, depending if they are maps or effects, if your not sure, read readmes, if they don't tell you, take a look at the file and see if it's an effect or a texture.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Woah, hold up.  Where are you getting those file?

You should be using everything from the media VPs.  All you should need to do is to unRAR them and place them either in your main FS2 directory or (preferably) in a mediavp folder and use the -mod feature to select them.  You should NOT be downloading shine2.0, etc as individual packages at this point.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

I swear, my head is going to explode one day. So, all I need are the VPs, which already have those add-ons installed, correct? I've tried this, and end up getting an error from the ships.tbl, weapons.tbl, etc.

Bah, nevermind. I shuttled some files around and it works now. *shoots the computer* That was frusterating.

Well, thanks all. You helped a bunch, telling me where these little things need to go. I manually extracted the packages again and that fixed whatever the problem might have been.  :rolleyes: :wtf:

This is why I like running OSS, it makes you do things yourself.