Author Topic: OGL problem with colour depth  (Read 2173 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
OGL problem with colour depth
Well, I think this one goes to Taylor.

Yesterday I updated nVidia drivers from 84.25 to 84.56, and FSOpen didn't work. Then reverted to 84.25 and FSOpen didn't still work so I thought I was going to get mad.

Finally, I noticed that the problem is that if you run FSOpen in OGL with a higher colour depth (32 bits) than Windows desktop (when ForceWare is installed, it defaults to 16 bits), FSOpen has a funny error saying your OGL version is 1.1 and you need 1.2 (although the driver and card are 2.0.1). There's no problem if you run FSOpen in 16 bits with windows desktop in 32 bits or if both have the same colour depth.

So:
+ Did you know about it? Is it a FSOpen bug or a nVidia driver bug? Should I mantis it?
+ I've got a AGP 7800GS card with 84.25 drivers. Can anyone with another card/driver version make a try?
+ Does it happen with ATI cards too? (Please, someone make a try)
+ Does it happen with other OS than Windows?

(I'm at work so I haven't searched about this topic. Forgive me, if it has been already spotted).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: OGL problem with colour depth
I don't think that I've ever noticed this before.  It just looks like an OpenGL init error, where it's falling back on the software renderer (that has happened before).  It's been a while since I've run the Windows version of FS2_Open so I'll have to fire up my Win2k box and see what I can find here.  I probably just need to tweak the WGL init a little and that will be that.  But if you can, please post a debug log for me to look at, it should provide me with some interesting info.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I'll post the fslog from latest Redmenace's debug build ASAP (probably this afternoon) and also the error mesages I get (copy-pasted in a text file).

But, "Attach file" has disappeared from "Additional Options ...". So how do I do it? Do you prefer that I open a mantis bug?
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Do you prefer that I open a mantis bug?
Yeah, go ahead.  You can just attach the log file there.  I'm working on something else OpenGL related right now (and for the next few days) but I'll try and get this problem fixed over the weekend if at all possible.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well, I've mantised all the info in bug nº 902 (http://lore.maxgaming.net/~scp/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000902)

If you need more info please ask.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I think this is acutally a windows issue.  You can't create a 32-bit window if your desktop is set to 16-bits.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
But I'm running FSOpen in full screen not windowed.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
its still a full-screen window.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well, I don't know ANYTHING about coding so surely you are right. But:

+ In D3D it seems there's no trouble with desktop at 16 bits and FSOpen at 32 bits.

+ I've tried FarCry (D3D game) that has only 32 bit option and it also runs fine. (I don't have any other OGL game so I can't make tries with this one)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Well i don't know anything about coding in d3d, so i can't say anything about how that works.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Part of the problem is just our code.  We are still using the old API for setting up the visual rather than the newer WGL API.  And since we no longer even support cards which don't support the WGL API there is no real reason to not fix it.  Other than time that is.  Doing what we do now doesn't really provide all pixel formats that are available, that's why you are getting a pixel format that isn't compatible with your OpenGL drivers and drops you down to the software renderer instead.  The code just needs to be beefed up to handle all of this properly, and to make sure that you are given a sane pixel format in the end.

I've been holding off from doing the code upgrade myself since, at some point, we'll move to using SDL on Windows and the extra Windows init code would be obsolete.  Given this issue though (and others for that matter) I suppose it's time to move it up on the todo-list priority scale.  I'm busy working on other things this week but I'll try and find some time to write up the new code.