Author Topic: Error compiling from CVS (2005-05-17)  (Read 2323 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Error compiling from CVS (2005-05-17)
Does anyone know why I get this error?

Code: [Select]
--------------------Configuration: Freespace2 - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
FreeSpace.cpp
LevelPaging.cpp
Linking...
../../openal/libs/win32\openal32.lib : fatal error LNK1136: invalid or corrupt file
Error executing link.exe.

I'm using MS VC 6.0, I open Freespace2.dsw within MSVC_6, and I "rebuild all" as I've always done.

I know nothing about coding, I just follow a "walkthrough". Thank you in advance.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Re: Error compiling from CVS (2005-05-17)
It has been said (in the internal) that it helps if you use the Openal files from the SDK. I posted a link there so that some coder can help you out.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Shade

Try installing the OpenAL SDK and linking to it from your compiler. To do that, enter the paths to <openal-SDK-location>\include and \libs\win32 in MSVC options->directories->Include files and options->directories->Library files respectively. In truth, you probably only need the libs path, but both is nice in case you ever need the rest.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually all you need to do is simply copy OpenAL32.lib from your SDK to fs2_open\openal\libs\win32 and the problem is solved. :)

MSVC 6 is already set up to find a copy of that library so it seems redundant to have two paths with one of them pointing to a corrupt version.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Yep, like karajorma said just replace the lib.  The SDK is already in CVS and the paths are already in the project file.  The problem (as Goober pointed out in the internal) is that WinCVS is treating the openal32.lib file as text on Windows so it appears corrupt.  Just replace the lib for now and we'll get the CVS issue worked out soon.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well, thank you. As Karajorma has just posted a new build, I will use it instead of compiling.  :yes:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yep, like karajorma said just replace the lib.  The SDK is already in CVS and the paths are already in the project file.  The problem (as Goober pointed out in the internal) is that WinCVS is treating the openal32.lib file as text on Windows so it appears corrupt.  Just replace the lib for now and we'll get the CVS issue worked out soon.

It should already be fixed.  The problem is that CVS doesn't recognize a format difference as an updateable (or committable) change.  So you'd have to delete the file before you update.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
It should already be fixed.  The problem is that CVS doesn't recognize a format difference as an updateable (or committable) change.  So you'd have to delete the file before you update.

Nope, it isn't fixed. I have fully deleted "openal" folder, I have updated WinCVS and I still get the error.

OTOH I'm also posting two other little issues:

+ When firstly downloading from CVS, Phrases.cfg (in code\sound) is read-only and MSVC 6.0 fails to compile. I allways have to change its "read-only" property.

+ I've got 4 warnings, two of them about not having either voice recognition or speech. The other two are maybe important, so here you are:

C:\WinCVS\fs2_open\code\Hud\HUDshield.cpp(590) : warning C4800: 'int' : forcing value to bool 'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
Creating library...
vDsound.lib(DSOUND.dll) : warning LNK4006: __NULL_IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR already defined in vDinput.lib(DINPUT.dll); second definition ignored
--------------------Configuration: libjpeg - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Nope, it isn't fixed. I have fully deleted "openal" folder, I have updated WinCVS and I still get the error.

Hm.  Howbout now?

+ When firstly downloading from CVS, Phrases.cfg (in code\sound) is read-only and MSVC 6.0 fails to compile. I allways have to change its "read-only" property.

Tell your CVS client not to set all files as read only.

+ I've got 4 warnings, two of them about not having either voice recognition or speech. The other two are maybe important, so here you are:

C:\WinCVS\fs2_open\code\Hud\HUDshield.cpp(590) : warning C4800: 'int' : forcing value to bool 'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
Creating library...
vDsound.lib(DSOUND.dll) : warning LNK4006: __NULL_IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR already defined in vDinput.lib(DINPUT.dll); second definition ignored

The first has been fixed.  The second is unimportant.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Fixed, it compiles now. Thank you.

(After 20 minutes searching, I finally discovered where to tell WinCVS not making all files "read-only").