Author Topic: "Eternal Damage"  (Read 9133 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
That's not possible.  The life support systems recycle the used air, FYI, takashi.  Fuel is prolly nuclear, or a combination nuclear and other.  The lasers use something to do with mesons.  (Source: FS1 Campaign)
EDIT: Of course the mesons could be caused by the Lucy's shield, who knows..

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
then lets just all admit we cant even argue about technology 300-900 years in the future. sooner or later a some-one who actualy did serious research on how freespace tech works is going to stumble across this topic and make us all look like idiots.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Right, but FUBAR was meaning using a sort of sensor; it would have to be an active one.  Is it possible to tell what two people are talking about in a room?  Yes, nowadays you use a laser to pick up the vibrations on the glass window.  300 years from now?  At least the sensitivity would increase, plus prolly the range as different frequencies and intensities of lasers were developed.

This is exactly the type of thing I am talking about.  If you can do it with a laser and glass today why not sensors and a ships hull at some point.  Maybe the sound of the blast doesn't travel outward from the craft but it would still travel through the structure of the craft. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
then lets just all admit we cant even argue about technology 300-900 years in the future. sooner or later a some-one who actualy did serious research on how freespace tech works is going to stumble across this topic and make us all look like idiots.

Or they might read it and say you know there's an idea that would be easy and actually make it work.  Just like lasers were pure sci-fi at one time.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
and what if i told you my *relative* was one of those people?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Then I'd tell you that you got dropped on the head as a baby.

Oh wait, your relative is doing serious research on a sci-fi game that's 8-9 years old. Maybe not!

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
no, more like he's on the knoledge evel of a scientist. who the heck researches freespace!?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Er...you just said he was.

---

(By FUBAR)Or they might read it and say you know there's an idea that would be easy and actually make it work.  Just like lasers were pure sci-fi at one time.

---

and what if i told you my *relative* was one of those people?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
For those of you who disagree with Freespaces' sound effects physics, please feel free to turn the volume down.

It's a game. Here we are shouting because there is sound, yet I bet people would have shouted a lot louder if there hadn't been any in the game.

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Yes, but could you have *heard* them?

:D
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I do hope no-one is shouting... I'm not.  I think its all... well,
fun and games!!  :lol:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Yes, but could you have *heard* them?

:D

Ouch.

BAD joke.  :P
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol: :p

Either way, there's no real point to discussing the physics of sound in space, the reason [v] included sound was because they wanted to hear their ships go 'Boom' in a nice satisfying way, and frankly I agree with them, Physics can go suck a lollypop for all I care :p

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam