Poll

How would your hardware fare under my maniacal rule?

I would be unable to play freespace at all anymore (please post details)
1 (2.5%)
I probably wouldn't even notice a difference, given that I only ever run FS with all of the shader magic enabled
11 (27.5%)
I would still be able to play, but with problems (please post details)
3 (7.5%)
BURN IT! BURN THE FIXED FUNCTION PIPELINE TO ASH AND SALT THE EARTH WHERE IT STOOD! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
17 (42.5%)
I don't know what is going on here, could you show me back to my home, I want to go back to my nap now.
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Fixed Function Considered Harmful  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Fixed Function Considered Harmful
So I'm not really active here the last, like five years or so, but I figured I can still post highly controversial topics.
so lets throw this out there: **** the fixed function pipeline. seriously.

Now I know what you are thinking: "The hell are you on Bob?! We need that for backwards compatibility!"
to which I respond: "Compatibility with what?"

Seriously, this probably could have been done in 2007, it's twice that now, I think it's safe to mark the fixed function HT&L pipeline deprecated and focus squarely on the programmable shader utopia future.
Granted some work probably needs to be done in terms of making the shaders work for the few people who cannot use them now, but I think that would be less work in the long run than maintaining the old non-programmable option.
We did this with HT&L vs ST&L.

Why is making an active choice to do this good? why not just leave it there and maybe not give it as much attention?
The fixed function and programmable pipelines behave in massively different ways, maintaining the fixed function pipeline means you will forever be chained to having things organized the way it likes. dropping it would allow for major restructurings that could allow a vastly simpler and more flexible internal structure, which would translate directly into better features, developed faster and made more stable. With the policy of 'we must maintain the fixed function' in place no coder would ever be allowed to make these improvements.

So. Who's with me?
/*grabs pitch fork and torch*/

(also poll about if your graphics card is incapable of supporting freespace open in shader mode. lets see if I'm wrong about this.)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Fixed Function Considered Harmful
Hrmmm... well those remarkably popular Intel cards still have problems with FSO and standard support advice is to use "-no_glsl", which I believe means the fixed function renderer (aside: Intel HD Graphics 4000 is the most popular according to Steam, and IIRC that's a buggy 4.0 implementation).  Maybe in a few more years when Intel gets their OpenGL drivers into a better state (or should I say, when the latest cards+drivers become more widely used), and the older cards die via attrition?

Also, while my primary PC is perfectly happy with the full glory of shaders, my laptop, work PC, and VMs all hate them to varying degrees.  And as far as testing multi goes (sure I could be doing more of it) I need those other options.  (yes, this is an edge case)

(Edit: and some unity3D stats as well: http://stats.unity3d.com/pc/gpu.html)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:03:28 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A few things:

Cutting out the fixed function renderer won't happen. However, at the same time, no work will be done on it anymore. The current plan, such as it is, is to write a new, OpenGL 3 core profile renderer from scratch, and only invoke the fixed function one in cases where OpenGL 3 isn't available.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
why won't it?
if you leave it there an disallow breaking it it limits what you can do.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Removing it doesn't gain us anything except a reduced userbase.

EDIT:

Your assertion that retaining the FF renderer would hold back this theoretical new renderer has no basis in reality, from where I'm sitting. We already have a renderer interface that we can plug stuff into, the actual nuts and bolts of OpenGL are pretty well isolated from the rest of the engine, so I don't quite see any difficulties in keeping the FF renderer around for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:43:18 am by The E »

Offline Luis Dias

The current plan, such as it is, is to write a new, OpenGL 3 core profile renderer from scratch, and only invoke the fixed function one in cases where OpenGL 3 isn't available.

wat? O_O omg

AFAIK, the integrated Intel cards are not "buggy", they simply only support the core openGL profile, not the compatibility profile. A new openGL 3 core profile renderer would be awesome. Then the fixed function can die...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They do support it, they just aren't supporting it in the same way that AMD and Nvidia support it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Removing it doesn't gain us anything except a reduced userbase.

EDIT:

Your assertion that retaining the FF renderer would hold back this theoretical new renderer has no basis in reality, from where I'm sitting. We already have a renderer interface that we can plug stuff into, the actual nuts and bolts of OpenGL are pretty well isolated from the rest of the engine, so I don't quite see any difficulties in keeping the FF renderer around for the foreseeable future.

Quoted for truth.

Additionally, Bobboau, there are a number of high priority outstanding bugs and feature requests that desperately need attention.  Ignoring these to focus on Yet Another Grandiose Project is just a recipe for shooting ourselves in the foot.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
I do wonder if throwing out the Fixed Function renderer means that users without graphics cards that support shaders will be unable to play FSO... :nervous:
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i didnt know we were still using a fixed function pipe. thought that was killed off long ago.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I do wonder if throwing out the Fixed Function renderer means that users without graphics cards that support shaders will be unable to play FSO... :nervous:

As far as I know, if you need to use any of the Troubleshooting flags that include the word "shader" (and maybe some more besides) then yes, you wouldn't be able to run FSO.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

That is exactly what it means. Which is why that's not going to be done.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I think fixed function still provides a good baseline for users with GPUs that have wonky shader compilers and extensions. That's why I'm not going to bother removing it when I start work on getting a Core Profile working.

Honestly, a lot of OpenGL 4.0 features would already be in the game if it wasn't for Apple insisting that OpenGL 3.2+ features only work in the Core profile. Other vendors in fact make the Compatibility profile their default GL implementation and actually build the Core profile on top of that. For them, the Core profile is just an extra validation layer and is in fact slower.

Fixed function hasn't really hampered us in that regard. A lot of the time when implementing all these features, I don't even think about how my implementation would affect the fixed function codepath. And for the most part, it seems to work out fine based on the times when my shaders break and I'm auto-dumped into the fixed function render path.

So yeah, blame Apple for why we haven't adopted new graphics features as fast as we'd like. Not the fixed function codepath.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think they are all to blame. no one manufacturer should be allowed to bend a standard to suit their platform's needs at the time. apple may be the lastest offender, but its not like they all didnt do this at some point in time.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

That is exactly what it means. Which is why that's not going to be done.

It also means all unicorns will be afflicted with testicular torsion.The $64,000 question is, however, "How many, if any, unicorns are there in existence to be afflicted?"
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken