Author Topic: 64-bit?  (Read 6050 times)

Offline ChaosUnlimited

• old games new people bring it.

* 64bit: We already build 64bit executables on OS X and Linux, so there's no fundamental technical issue.

ah but u don't for windows and as i am a windows user os x and linex have little to no  use for me :P

i attempted to compile the source code my self in 64 but got like 800 errors so i probably did something wrong

i think i said it earlier but ill say it again i just started learning programming and its not in the c family of programming its java though i should be moving onto c++ in 2nd semester and we just started mid terms.

therefore i know next to nothing. basically nothing when it comes to engine/game coding and so i have no clue on what i'm doing ( its fun trying to figure it out though)

Not worth it, really. It turns out that the OS usually has a better idea which processors are free than we do.

ahh ok

anyhow it 3am need some sleep have my last midterm in the mornin and my driving test

PC Specs
AMD-FX 6100 six core 3.3Ghz
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I don't recall all of the arguments, but I expect that compiling FSO to take advantage of multi-core CPUs is something far less trivial than 64-bit compiling.
If by "far less trivial" you mean "the entire engine would need to be rewritten, basically from scratch," then yes, that's correct.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Echelon9

i think i said it earlier but ill say it again i just started learning programming and its not in the c family of programming its java though i should be moving onto c++ in 2nd semester and we just started mid terms.

therefore i know next to nothing. basically nothing when it comes to engine/game coding and so i have no clue on what i'm doing ( its fun trying to figure it out though)

The best way to learn C these days is LCTHW. I highly recommend it, as it also teaches fundamental programming concepts that Java will "hide" away from you.

You'll need a Linux (VM is fine) or OS X system though to follow through the free LCTHW book.

Offline ChaosUnlimited

The best way to learn C these days is LCTHW. I highly recommend it, as it also teaches fundamental programming concepts that Java will "hide" away from you.

You'll need a Linux (VM is fine) or OS X system though to follow through the free LCTHW book.

oh the engine is in c not c++ ?

if so then ill start reading that book/webpage u sent when i get a chance (i can deal with linux for learning purpose but not as a main OS i really don't like linux)
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The engine is C++ masquerading as C, as it's been said before, although we've moved many areas to more definitely-C++ patterns.  On the surface though, C and C++ are very similar languages.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline ChaosUnlimited

ahh ok ill just stick with my college courses then.

is there anything i can do my side (not coding or modeling) to increase the look of the game like force AA apon it or something (everything looks edgy and the graphics look like 2008 ish with the 2014 mediavps is that opengl problem or did i do something wrong?
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You could try adding these command line parameters to enable nVidia's FXAA? (preset 9 is the highest IIRC)

Code: [Select]
    [ -fxaa ]                               - Enable FXAA anti-aliasing
    [ -fxaa_preset ]            [ INT ]     - FXAA quality (0-9), requires -post_process and -fxaa
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ChaosUnlimited

did a bunch of things with nvidia control panel 3d config to the exe that the launcher uses to run the game game looks better
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580