Author Topic: Explosion sound modernization and improvements  (Read 2758 times)

Offline morGy

Explosion sound modernization and improvements
Hi,

on discord I wrote that these particular booms could use some improvement. So MjnMixael challenged me to step up and so I did.
He also suggested that I should submit them for testing here and that is what I am doing now.

In general these are way more interesting to listen to than what is there now.

Boom_1 is a very satisfying deep sounding explosion sound with a very hard bang to start it off. the high pitched whine can not always be heard but makes it an interesting element when it gets through.

Boom_3 is vastly different more in the mid and high frequencies. It is great for capship secondaries and offsets nicely with Boom_1 and also Atomic which right now gets swallowed up very easily so that you don't even notice that particular sound.

Judge for yourself!

P.S. I changed my discord name to this one since the one I used there was taken here

EDIT: topic name changed since this has gone beyond boom_1 and 3 now

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:39:34 pm by morGy »

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Improved Boom_1 and _3 submission
It's very cool to see any assistance for FSU popping up! :D
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Also, welcome to the forum itself.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Me likey boom boom  :nod:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline morGy

Is that a general statement or did you actually try these?

Is there any feedback?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I forgot to try these yesterday. Will do it this afternoon
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Is that a general statement or did you actually try these?

Is there any feedback?

Yup, tried these, sounds good.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Mito [PL]

I'd say that current MediaVPs Boom 1 has got something satisfying and unique to it, but I'm not sure how to describe it. Like if this sound wasn't an explosion per se, but a sound of a small object being splattered and breaking apart, experiencing a massive decompression.

But I think your Boom 1 would actually be a nice replacement for MediaVPs Boom 3. And for some reason your Boom 3 sounds to me more like a shot from a massive cannon of some sort than an explosion of a ship. But that can be just my weirdness...
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I'm in agreement with Mito. The new Boom_1 sounds much better in its role as a fighter explosion sound effect (iirc), but the Boom_3 sounds more like a weapon firing than a large ship exploding, perhaps too much in the high pitch range?

Offline morGy

Both _1 and _3 are alternatively used for fighter explosions.

I heavily disagree with my _1 being a good replacement for current _3. It would be horrible for capship secondaries because it occupies mostly the same frequency range as atomic does, which is exactly the problem that is there right now as well. atomic gets swallowed up by a sound that is way to similar for it to become audible.

Offline Mito [PL]

Hm. So what do you think about my opinion on the Boom_1 that's currently used in MediaVPs? Just asking because I can see you have some really nice insight into audio stuff.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline morGy

Well a tad bland to be honest. Actually when you put my _3 next to MVPS current _1 they are kind of similar with the exception that my sound has this nice tearing element to it which is completely missing from current _1.

If no changes were made, current _1 and _3 should switch places. that would yield way better results because _1 is also the big boom for capships up to corvette size and would work much better in that spot. it is similar to atomic and as a capship secondary which it is right now it always overpowers atomic because it is a cacophony of repetition.

EDIT

I pitched down boom_3 quite a bit, give this a try whether it works better. it is two sounds (_1 and _3) that get used in a lot of situations therefor you have a compromise sound that may not work best in all situations but I think this is a better compromise.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:11:50 pm by morGy »

Offline morGy

MjnMixael asked me to create a new clusterboom next to the other explosion sounds I have created, because those make the current clusterboom sound really dated by comparison. Yes they do so this has been done now as well.

While I first thought I am just going to spice up the existing sound in the end I opted to create it from scratch. Clusterboom now actually has a boom starting it. I always thought it was weird that it was only a shockwave sound. the shockwave sound is a new modern version and the sample rate of the file has been increased to 41khz so that it sounds more crisp overall just like the new booms.

The complete package with final mastering for the first two sounds can be downloaded from the first post.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Per my discord message.

The original clusterboom sounds like the hull of the ship is groaning/resisting before it finally explodes. I don't think it ever sounded like a shockwave.

Offline morGy

To me it does. The visual effect is also big shockwaves when you trigger the piranha to spill its load for example.

Offline morGy

On mjn.mixaels request I mixed the classic and iconic shockwave sound back into clusterboom. I also mastered atomic for max volume output without it committing the sound design sin of going over the max volume threshold. boom_1 and _3 also got a tad further pitched down to make them a bit more suitable for capship explosions, but still retaining plausible pitch for fighters exploding

DL in first post!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Explosion sound modernization and improvements
These sound good to me.

Offline AV8R

Visually, as usual, the new MediaVPs are stunning. I have, and always will, love the graphics work the Hard-Light crew have produced. Amazing work.

Now, the updated explosion sounds - awful. Listening to an Arcadia installation self-destruct and hearing what I can only describe as a "poochie, poochie, poochie" sound for each explosion is absolutely disconcerting and wrong.

Please tell me there is a way to override the new explosion sounds in favor of the old ones. Please.  :(

Of course, just extract whichever older version of the file you want from the old version of the MVPs, and put it in the new MVPs -> data -> sounds -> (whichever subfolder it is in) creating these folders as necessary. You can do this with any files in any mods.