Author Topic: C&C: Red Alert 3  (Read 31673 times)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Looking forward to the early sneak peek and pounding on the Soviets with the Allies :)
Been there, done that. Big time. :p
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Looks like they have gotten Frank Klepacki on board for this game:

http://www.ea.com/redalert/news-detail.jsp?id=13

The soundtrack could alone make this game worth getting. C&C3's music was excellent, but it had a different style to what we've seen in previous C&C games.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I've played a few beta matches, and so here's my 2 cents worth. Only played the allies and japanese briefly, not fully in depth, so I might change my opinion. The favored side right now seems to be the Soviets *cough*Apocalypses,Kirovs and Dreadnoughts*cough* so I look forward to playing that side.

The Allies move fast, and can take the tempo of the match early by spreading out fast. The peacekeeper is a pretty tough cookie, and in a maestro's hands its a wonder to see. Their armor is severly lacking, necessitating tactics greatly. Their supposed air power is a bit over emphasized; their only combat chopper was the .... **********. Suffice to say its incapable of actual combat, but is a interesting unit to say the least. The Apollo air fighter works as well as advertised, but its quite weak, so picking your targets is important. The mirage tank, is a wonder. But it needs to learn to stay still at this point in time. Their naval power is ... awesome. Carriers, amphibious destroyers, dolphins, hydrofoils. Their hover transports are viable combat threats too, packing a heavy MG and torpedo launchers. But soviet subs can really take a bite out of your navy. Important use of abilities is paramount. Oh. They lack a dedicated AA defense, irritatingly. But IFVs make up for it in a pinch.

The Japanese are ... different. Note that building a structure produces a unit, which you then order to unpack somewhere.  Their primary defense can switch from AA to AG, which is handy. Never got a chance to explore their navy fully, got FUBARd in record time. A good strategy is to rush tankbusters. They tear through armour incredibly fast. Ironically, the Japanese also posess the ultimate counter to an early infantry rush: a samurai! Their basic infantry can switch from a pulse carbine to an instant kill sword. Most of their units are inspired based on sterotypical japanese stuff, so expect to see Macross look alikes. Before you ask, I never got to use Yuriko or the King Oni.

Overall, the new naval aspect is totally game changing. I wiped out a guy's base, only to lose because he had relocated his base off on water, and he hit me with dreadnoughts from the rear. Previously naval control was not really an issue; now its very important, not the least because of the ability to build naval bases.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...Overall, the new naval aspect is totally game changing. I wiped out a guy's base, only to lose because he had relocated his base off on water, and he hit me with dreadnoughts from the rear. Previously naval control was not really an issue; now its very important, not the least because of the ability to build naval bases...

That's good, because I have always preferred the Allied side. It's bad to hear that their aerial power has practically disappeared. RIP the Black Eagles.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
KOREA'S

FIGHTERS!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm a bit dissapointed to hear about the Amphibious destroyers.. Sounds like they just riipped it from the Cybrans :sigh:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
...Overall, the new naval aspect is totally game changing. I wiped out a guy's base, only to lose because he had relocated his base off on water, and he hit me with dreadnoughts from the rear. Previously naval control was not really an issue; now its very important, not the least because of the ability to build naval bases...

That's good, because I have always preferred the Allied side. It's bad to hear that their aerial power has practically disappeared. RIP the Black Eagles.
I haven't heard much about the Vindicator from folks but its another Allied air unit that has some potential.  Air is supposed to be a pretty big factor as well as the naval aspect so surely the Allies have something.  The Century Bomber looks like it has some potency as well....sort of like a hovering B-52 or alternatively a device for deploying paratroopers.

I am a bit sad about the Black Eagles myself...I wonder if we'll be seeing anything about them either during the campaign or perhaps in the inevitable expansion :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
look on the upside, this is a beta at this time, so you give your info back to EA on what you think needs improvement and the majority agrees with the same assessment, we might see our good old black eagles back or the vindicator replacing that role. potential is good news to my ears lets see where this goes ;)
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I am hoping a bit for the Allies to have a more international kind of appeal to them rather than all units being from the US.  So far most of the units revealed are from the US...wondering if the voice actors reveal some other nationalities...even if its a matter of being just accented english.
- IceFire

Offline Al Tarket

as far as i know EA, westwood(former developer) and C&C are all american, i dont see why they should put other units from differing countries, besides if the game is good, does it really matter?
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
You could always modify the game.  :D

---

Side note: EA is now interested in Hollywood, so expect a C&C movie of some sort.  :ick:

Offline Al Tarket

yeah cool, kane (played by Joseph Kucan) and some GDI general and the ever mysterious commander of both sides. you should also know related to that point of game turned fim is the Duke nukem film (use your imagination ;))

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
as far as i know EA, westwood(former developer) and C&C are all american, i dont see why they should put other units from differing countries, besides if the game is good, does it really matter?
What does where the studio being from have to do with anything?

No it doesn't make the game worse or better from a gameplay standpoint...but it would make the side fit more along the lines of its description:

A coalition of Western countries bound together in defense of the free people of the world. The Allies are prepared to act decisively with their well-trained soldiers and advanced vehicles, yet long for nonviolent resolutions.

Thats what I'm on about.  It'd be better if the Apollo, for instance, which is spelled out in their faction section as being built in Sweden to have a Swedish accented voiceover for a little extra flavour, etc.  Just wishing.
- IceFire

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
And I'd like the Nazis in Hogan's Heros to have German accents.  ;7

Sadly, this will never happen.  :blah:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Because they're trying to portray the Allied faction, whose composition has nothing to do with the composition of the developers.

Bungie Studios is mostly American, but, oddly enough, the Covenant characters in Halo do not largely consist of red-blooded patriotic Yankees (nor do the marines.)

Offline Al Tarket

again thats why they have a beta version  :). request to them to have a more varied allied side.

reminds me of quake 4, Strauss is German, Cortez is Mexican, Slidjonovitch is Russian, Morris is Canadian and 5 americans.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
.  The Century Bomber looks like it has some potency as well....sort of like a hovering B-52 or alternatively a device for deploying paratroopers.
I didn't use the Vindicator myself, but I did use the Century Bomber. Its quite an interesting unit, but it remains the Allies only means of large scale transportation short of using a hovercraft or the one-man IFV.

Played another game this morning. Used a layered defense to fend off a Apocalypse tank horde. Like I said, Mirage tanks need to learn to stay still, but it was otherwise easy enough to stop them using garrisoned structures, Century Bombers and Athena Cannons.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
About the Mirage tanks...are the rules of engagement options still present in RA3 that were in C&C3?
- IceFire

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Holding position? I never really noticed, but iirc, there were a set of buttons in the lower right of the UI, that seemed to do the same thing. I'll investigate later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nice to hear that massive tank pushes can be stopped.