Author Topic: War in Heaven Voice Acting — VICTORY IS LIFE!  (Read 114483 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: War in Heaven Voice Acting Death March
I would definitely not wait but hell am I gonna play this again and again when voice arrives to WiH :D

Oh and I'll push all my friends so hard into playing this they'll even reconsider our friendship status (until they actually play it!)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:19:53 am by Luis Dias »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
God DAMMIT, just looked at this thread. Currently a few missions into the campaign, now I have to decide whether to tear myself away and wait for the voice acted version...

I'm gonna wait. Dammit. :)

I'm eagerly anticipating this! I've decided to hold off playing WiH until the voice acting is complete, so I can get the best experience in the first play through like I did with AoA.

Was thinking if it would be worth getting the scripts up for Acts 3, 4 and 5 (ok 5 is a bit ambitious as most people await the fourth installment), so that people can start getting in early submissions and hopefully they can be implemented pretty much straight away. okay, I know it's not a priority and could delay releases (which I wouldn't say no too)... but it was just a thought!

Guys, I'd seriously consider just playing the campaign now. It may be months until the big roles can finish recording, and who knows whether your lives will still be permissive?

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Your faceballs are not prepared, its quality transcends the need for voice acting

I'm actually kind of worried that a voiced version might mess with the incredibly clear, years-old mental images I've developed of WiH's cast of characters :shaking:

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Oh yes, they will. The previews absolutely murdered my mental image of Byrne and Steele, for example. (The first in a "ungood" way...)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Price of voice acting. You'll have to deal with it.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
One thing can tide us over.

MORE PREVIEWS!

(But only from those who you're legally authorized to give out, y'know)
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Or perhaps bloopers?

(Note: I did not get that role. :P)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

WHAT? How is that possible? You were awesome! :D

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Or perhaps bloopers?

(Note: I did not get that role. :P)

And here I was originally planning to record Calder's big get-angry speech in a super-nasally Scottish brogue.

I should go back and re-record some of the more serious lines in funny voices, just for the hell of it.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Price of voice acting. You'll have to deal with it.

Eep, yeah, well, I know. I'm not really complaining. Just a weird side-effect. Did not mean to seem ungrateful or whatever.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
By the way, speaking of hilarious bloopers, Hades made this piece of comedy gold, which literally made me fall out of my chair I was laughing so hard.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

CAPSLOCKs are important and must be voiced accordingly.

Offline Luis Dias

Reminded me of

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I am on the one hand, glad you got the VA's again and that they are still awesome. On the other... that convo feels so false. When The Elder is supposed to be cut off, it doesn't sound like that at all, it's just line reading. And Bei talks too slow...

None of this sounds like too much of a problem to edit though, it'd just take time.

Sorry for being a buzzkill. :(

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I am on the one hand, glad you got the VA's again and that they are still awesome. On the other... that convo feels so false. When The Elder is supposed to be cut off, it doesn't sound like that at all, it's just line reading. And Bei talks too slow...

None of this sounds like too much of a problem to edit though, it'd just take time.

As usual, your perspective on voice acting is frustratingly wrongheaded. We are damn lucky to get coverage at all from unpaid actors whose careers have advanced by years since last time we worked with them. Adding in live direction, repeated takes, sophisticated editing, and all the associated overhead this entails would move this from 'nice bonus coverage on a bit of extra content' to 'never going to happen'.

Which is a valid piece of feedback, of course. We could move to a model in which we only shipped content when we felt it had been pushed to a very high quality bar. We would never release any more content, of course, but if you'd prefer that to the current model...?

Any criticism that hits you about voice acting has probably already occurred to us internally. We have triaged it and addressed it as best as we can with available time and resources.

Old men...are the future

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

Why are you putting a spoiler alert on a conversation that's been released and public for more than sixteen months?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:57:48 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

The best thing you can do to save face and contribute meaningfully would be to open Audacity and make a better edit of the line. It would be easy and I would be genuinely grateful, because we don't have any goddamn time. Post it here and I'll upload it to FTP.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
It was? Shame, im not reading the forums enough it seems.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
It was? Shame, im not reading the forums enough it seems.
The post has even been updated with a link to the audio, same as with the earlier Steele/Lopez conversation.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so