Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221436 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
I'll be back around 9:30, 8:30 to you, CP.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Oi! Where's me game?!?! I get 'ome from da t'eatre and t'eres nuttin' t'be found!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Sorry, we generally wrap things up around that time. Come next weekend.

By the way, we got a rare opportunity with nine players at one point in the game, and tried out the Black Omega mission, which is the only 12 player co-op mission in the list. The mission itself is a joke, but the game seemed to handle nine people perfectly well (one guy didn't appear to get the medal but that could be an unrelated issue, as I've seen it before with other people playing their first mission).

It's possible 12 player co-op has been supported ever since retail, but nobody knew about it until now. I remember some requests for 12 player co-op missions many years ago but I don't think any mission designers ever really considered the possibility. It was sort of taken for granted that co-op missions would have a max of 8 players.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
just wanna say thanks 2 everyone , i had a great time last night , excellent work ppl for being there and making it possible to play with 9 ppl and thanks to the host who has a most excellent internet connection , lets try to be 12ppl for next week............. :D :D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
By the way, we got a rare opportunity with nine players at one point in the game, and tried out the Black Omega mission, which is the only 12 player co-op mission in the list. The mission itself is a joke, but the game seemed to handle nine people perfectly well (one guy didn't appear to get the medal but that could be an unrelated issue, as I've seen it before with other people playing their first mission).

It's possible 12 player co-op has been supported ever since retail, but nobody knew about it until now. I remember some requests for 12 player co-op missions many years ago but I don't think any mission designers ever really considered the possibility. It was sort of taken for granted that co-op missions would have a max of 8 players.

Cool.  CP, I nominate you to rebalance Black Omega for 12 players. :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've been saying for ages that I couldn't see anything in the code that limited you to 8 players in coop. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

It's nice that it works. I highly doubt that Black Omega is in any wat salvageble though... it's just too far gone to be worth the effort. Probably easier just to make a few new missions for 12 players and get their validation checksums added to the server.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline npsbre

Yes, that was a great time, especially that epic 45-minute mission before the 9-player one, with the space station and disabling the transports followed by those waves of Erinyes.  Many thanks to CP5670 for hosting and everyone else who was there!  Despite having cut my PC gaming teeth in space sims years ago, I actually have never played online in any space sim until recently with FS2.  (No network in 1994 for WC:Armada and insufficient system specs for X-wing vs. Tie Fighter, among others.)  Anyway, great fun and I hope to be back for more (though maybe not next Saturday, unfortunately).

Offline Shade

Epic indeed :) I'd say that's definitely our hardest won medal yet, 45 minutes of nonstop action with half the players being out of respawns at the end, hoping and praying that the rest can pull through to the end. What a rush :)

And it's all the more sweet a victory because we had to actually think and plan ahead to get it, setting out kill orders for the capships, designating who would disable which transports, picking strategic positions before taking the first shot, disarming ships then leaving them alone to concentrate on other targets, and drawing out the fight to kill off all the enemies before finally calling in our own transports. Rarely is there a need for that kind of battle planning in a game like this, but this mission called for it and everyone came through with a flawless performance. It feels really, really good to win after that much effort :D
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
So that 45 minute one, which mission was it? :)

Offline Shade

"The Die is Cast"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
And it's all the more sweet a victory because we had to actually think and plan ahead to get it, setting out kill orders for the capships, designating who would disable which transports, picking strategic positions before taking the first shot, disarming ships then leaving them alone to concentrate on other targets, and drawing out the fight to kill off all the enemies before finally calling in our own transports. Rarely is there a need for that kind of battle planning in a game like this, but this mission called for it and everyone came through with a flawless performance. It feels really, really good to win after that much effort :D

Yes, that was the most satisfying run we've had in a while. :) I think we have easily spent at least 10 hours on that mission, considering how many times we had attempted it in the past. It's great to have all that effort finally pay off.

As for Black Omega, the existing version is a straight port of the FS1 campaign mission, which makes it ridiculously easy with multiple players and respawning (and it gives you a medal to boot, which devalues that medal in a sense). I'm actually not sure who made it or how it got validated here. I don't remember ever seeing it on PXO.

Some minor changes (remove all respawns and require it to be on hard or insane for the medal) would increase the difficulty to some degree, but it might be better to just start from scratch. I have had some ideas for a 12 player mission for a while now, so if last Saturday wasn't just a fluke and we continue to get that many people in the future, I will look into working on it.

Offline captain-custard

i dont know if u have noticed; there are more and more nooobs every week getting interested in playing online , i see a lot in the week trying to work out how to login and setup in fs2net, and even the return of some old ones !!!!!!!    , For the noobs ( i include myself here) the saturday night game is such a great way  to understand how to play, with the experience of  cp5670, shade , hunter and many others , giving advice and hosting the missions. This gets us out of the dogfite zone that we play , not due to a lack of skill but more a lack of understanding.........

Finally i come to my real point  , is there anywhere in the forums a brief walk through of the multi missions? and is there any way i can play the multi missions alone just to get a feal of them and without having to be online , hope to see every one saturday night , and if ppl are interested in playing in the week pls post at the moment there are 4 or 5 ppl most nites in looking to play.........

cheers  :D one happy bunny
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Shade

is there anywhere in the forums a brief walk through of the multi missions?
No, but I'm actually working to eventually add something like that to the wiki. It's slow going though, since I don't have a lot of free time at the moment and what I've done so far is by no means ready for public viewing.

It won't be real walkthroughs though, rather it'll be a list of the validated missions showing an overview like max players, max respawns, which race's ships you're flying, and an estimate of the mission's difficulty. From that list you can then click through to individual articles on each mission (I won't do them all, but I'll get the key ones done before I add this stuff in - Probably most of the ones that also feature on the medal list at the very least) where you can find details like loadout options, an overview of what happens in the mission, and a veteran comments section that can be used for hints and advice on how to beat it.

But again, that's a ways off.

and is there any way i can play the multi missions alone just to get a feal of them and without having to be online
You can play them alone, but you do need to be online unless you feel like editing the mission files. Just host a game as normal and commit without waiting for other players, and you can play alone. The stats won't save, but you can practise all you like.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If you turn off PXO from the multi-config options no one will even know you're doing it.

Just remember to turn it back on when you want to play with humans again. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline captain-custard

its officially saturday ppl

so the $64.000 question is ........................

will there be 12 ?

dust of ur joystick and be prepared

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I am going to be there. Period. I am going to wrench myself away from GMod.

Offline captain-custard

starting final launch sequence T - 10 minutes, ppl stand by

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
****! I have homework! ****!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Cook up a big game on the 9th. I'll be able to play hard all night long (yup, that's the day the school server lasts all night and half-term starts)... :p

I expect tea, silk curtains and fish upon my arrival! :P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:45:38 pm by Snail »