Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221389 times)

Offline Mayhem

One more update: I just did a new installation (basic stuff only) via Turey's installer, purely for MP-purposes, and it fixed the "hacked tables"-problem. The according hint can be deleted then. :P

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm going to be running about 10 minutes late, but will start up a game shortly.

[edit] okay, the game will be up momentarily.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:25:00 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I just got this bug were i lost contact with server and then it said I was still in there when I tryed to join.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
We only got three or four people this time, but still had some good games. If anyone is interested, I can host a game on the 25th at the same time (in addition to BloodEagle's game later on) to make up for it. We should get a lot more people on a weekend. I'm actually rather surprised that we got so many on Monday.

Offline Shade

Was good fun even with 3-4 players, and I'll certainly be trying to find time for more of these in the future :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
We should have a nice crowd on Saturday, which has been our main game day for the last few weeks. I'll be there at both of the sessions.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
To anyone who hosts, make sure you create a new game after every mission. If you don't, two nasty bugs can occur.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
All in all it's going great, but we still only have 4 servers. I think the main problem is the portforwarding one, but no one knows that there is a fix.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Shade

Yeah, generally it's fixable. Only people who are victims of NAT or in a DMZ should be entirely unable to host. For everyone else who might want to host I'll gladly try to walk them through their firewall problems over IRC.

As for lack of servers, I might be able to host as well (on a Euro-friendly timeslot, like 8-9pm GMT), I just need to take stock of my post-summer work hours first so I can be sure which days I'll be up to it. Will post in the other thread once I get that ironed out. I can say one thing already though - It won't be on fridays :p It's not even 5pm yet and I already feel like crashing in my bed and sleeping for 16 hours straight.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Mav

Hi :) . I'll possibly try to join tomorrow morning - if I'm not sleeping that is.
As for timezone, I'm GMT +1, I think (Germany).

Hosting isn't that good on my side, as my PC's rather old and also somewhat unstable currently (so please don't wonder should I suddenly drop out... and eventually even not be able to join again :sigh: ).

Still - nice to see this coordination :) . Already tried playing FSNetD, but usually didn't find too many games... Oh, and stat saving likely won't work for me either way - no idea why :nervous: .
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Shade

Oh, and stat saving likely won't work for me either way - no idea why
Rogue tables (even ones such as the stars.tbl for lightspeed's nebulae) and/or incompatible mediavps. Safe thing to do is grab the mission vps from the sticky, make a seperate mod directory with just those, and use that as a mod when playing online. That way, all factors other than the data directory are taken out of the equation.

Plus, one or two of the mediavp models are suspected of problems that affect balance (and not in your favour), so it takes care of that issue too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:44:44 pm by Shade »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I just noticed something. Since I'm GMT -5, it should be read as Sundays from 3-7am. I always forget to move the days forward.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm.  (Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, cole...)  This week has been rather bad for free time, but I have the weekend off.  So, prolly on Saturday, (EST or GMT -5) I'll be available around 8PM on... but you already have a host for that time slot, so I guess I'll play... :drevil: unless there are too many players; then I could host as well.  ;)  Anyways, I'll check back tomorrow (Saturday).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Cole is going to be away for a few days, so I'll be updating the schedule in the meantime. We will probably be sticking with weekends for now anyway.

Also, I will be moving on September 8 and have no idea what the internet connection there will be like, so I don't know how well I can host after then. I will still be able to use my current connection every now and then (whenever I'm at my parents' house).

One more update: I just did a new installation (basic stuff only) via Turey's installer, purely for MP-purposes, and it fixed the "hacked tables"-problem. The according hint can be deleted then. :P

Okay, done.

I just noticed something. Since I'm GMT -5, it should be read as Sundays from 3-7am. I always forget to move the days forward.

Fixed. I tend to mess up on that myself. :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Just a heads-up, we'll be starting in about 15 minutes.

[edit] Starting now.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:14:10 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Super Nova

• No!
I am getting a better internet connection tomorrow.

Offline Shade

That was really fun :) And CP, that mission of yours is crazy. First time I've run out of respawns, though half of those were due to the AI camping the respawn point :p

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
And the like 60 fighters in the screen at oen time. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Something freaky just happened. My computer crashed, for some strange reason. I started it back up and tried to join the game again as observer. FreeSpace crashed on me and it says "FreeSpace has encountered an error and must close blablabla." Then I tried again, and then it said "cannot join because another person is trying to join the game at this time. Try again later". Then, after a while, it said "Join request rejected because identical player is already playing." For the rest of the Sirius blockade mission, it did that for me. Then, after the game had ended and I turned off my Laptop, it said "Online Users: Snail"... :wtf:

Offline Shade

And the like 60 fighters in the screen at oen time.
And yet we nearly had it. Just gotta be a bit faster at taking out the main turrets on the heavier warships and we keep the corvette alive. 5% more health when the final destroyer jumps in and we got it.

[Edit] Also interesting to note that in the beginning, we actually had more players there than the game supports. And this stuff is only just getting started :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:22:24 pm by Shade »