Author Topic: Things that rubbed you the wrong way  (Read 19331 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Things that rubbed you the wrong way
Maybe they just do like the Cylons and vent all of the air into space, killing the crew... or do the humane thing and just pump the place full of knockout gas.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I consider the short capture time to just be a concession for the sake of gameplay, like the absurdly low ranges of weapons and speeds of ships.

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I know that mission designers don't want their players to just be sitting there doing nothing or ensure very long missions, but the rate at which a boarding party captures a ship in the Freespace universe really breaks my immersion. We're talking about huge ships, but one or two tiny transport ships are able to board marines that can not only traverse through the ship in record speeds, but also often shoot through all the crews and onboard marines of another ship. And while I try to image some kind of ridiculously efficient hyper loop transport systems inside of ships to make up for this kind of ludicrous speed, it very much does not match what we actually see on the flight deck in the menu (I'm looking at you exit animation button).

It was for this very reason that I FREDed the Repulse capture operation the way I did in ST:R.

I consider the short capture time to just be a concession for the sake of gameplay, like the absurdly low ranges of weapons and speeds of ships.

Also, this.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I know that mission designers don't want their players to just be sitting there doing nothing or ensure very long missions, but the rate at which a boarding party captures a ship in the Freespace universe really breaks my immersion. We're talking about huge ships, but one or two tiny transport ships are able to board marines that can not only traverse through the ship in record speeds, but also often shoot through all the crews and onboard marines of another ship. And while I try to image some kind of ridiculously efficient hyper loop transport systems inside of ships to make up for this kind of ludicrous speed, it very much does not match what we actually see on the flight deck in the menu (I'm looking at you exit animation button).

It was for this very reason that I FREDed the Repulse capture operation the way I did in ST:R.

Also, this.

About 15 years a go I played a Star Trek themed space sim on my old PS1. The beam weapon range of the cap ships was immense - they could hit you when they were so far away they were just a few pixels. Your ship had a mini warp engine thingy which worked like afterburners on 'roids. You could close that sort of distance in a second. I guess it was supposed to be more realistic, encouraging hit and run attacks, but in truth it just sucked from a gameplay perspective.

That said I do often feel the ships in FS2 are too slow. Anything less than a Perseus feels like you are flying through treacle. I would love to see a mod that increases the speed of the ships slightly. Perhaps have retail Perseus speed as a base speed for the slow ships, like bombers, and increase form there, so that the modded Perseus really is nippy AF  :D

As an aside - does anyone else feel FS1 games / FSPort etc feel quicker than FS2 games? Flying the length of an Orion feels like it takes less time in FS1 than it did in FS2, even in fighters with comparable speeds. Or is it just me?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
The target turret feature targeting crappy little laser turrets when there are still main beams you need to de-fang. Some games, Inferno for example, get around this by having them highlighted with a big X, and the BP team are working on something that treats main beams as subsystems, but in campaigns that do not feature something like this it can be a real pain.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
That said I do often feel the ships in FS2 are too slow. Anything less than a Perseus feels like you are flying through treacle. I would love to see a mod that increases the speed of the ships slightly. Perhaps have retail Perseus speed as a base speed for the slow ships, like bombers, and increase form there, so that the modded Perseus really is nippy AF  :D
There was the old velocity mod that probably doesn't work anymore.  Also, it's a completely different universe but have you played Dimensional Eclipse?
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Lorric

The simplest way would be implementing a time compression setting. Play on 1.2X speed or something, that way the speed of projectiles and rates of fire would increase as well. It would be a good way to increase the difficulty of the game.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
As someone on the team of a mod (Legion) that freely mixes FS1 and FS2 assets...

FS1's balance is ****. Absolute, unmitigated, Clostridium difficile-infected fecal matter. The difference in power between the ML-16 and other weapons is absurd, the intended progression curve of the other primary weapons is essentially inverted (the Banshee is worse than the Prometheus, which is worse than the Avenger), the Anubis could have been a viable fighter if it had an afterburner (what the ****, Volition?), the observed behavior of weapons and ships frequently contradict their in-universe description and role, the list goes on and on and on.

I can't rebalance the FS1 stuff for this campaign, but god damn do I ever want to. FreeSpace 1 is an ungodly mess of a game and I encourage anyone else developing a campaign set before FS2 to chuck the table values from FS1 in the garbage and rebalance based on FS2 or just from scratch. FS2 was a rushed product with less than a year of development yet its gameplay balance wipes the floor with FS1's (not that it's perfect, it's just better by far).
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

The realization that I'd potentially prevented the Vasudans from being able to fight back against the Shivans earlier than they did by helping capture Alexander McCarthy, thus ensuring the Vasudans would rely on inferior weaponry that couldn't damage Shivan ships until the ceasefire and agreements were made to share technology with the Zods. A lot of lives would probably have been saved in the long run.

Why do you think they read about those trials in school.