Author Topic: Release: 19.0.0-RC2  (Read 3864 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
It's finally here!

With this release we decided to drop the "3.Major_revision.Minor_revision" versioning scheme in favor of a year based scheme since the Major and Minor versions did not have much meaning anymore. Instead the scheme will now be "{year}.{number that is incremented every release}.0". The last 0 is still there because some of our systems expect that. It will be gone at some point.

Change log: (chronologically ordered)
  • Various OpenGL optimizations for better graphics performance:
    • Animations now use texture arrays
    • Model uniforms get sent to the GPU using uniform buffers for less overhead
    • Various other, minor changes
  • After just 17 years, full Unicode text support! You can finally use non-ASCII characters without having to worry about special fonts and special characters. This is an opt-in mod flag.
  • Added various translation features for making it easier to only distribute one version of a mod which includes all languages.
  • OpenAL Soft is included by default in binary distributions of FSO now.
  • Added system for dynamically adding new SEXPs. With this a Lua script can expose functionality to the mission which can be used exactly the same as a standard SEXP with all the usual editing features in FRED.
  • Replaced Blinn-Phong BRDF with GGX BRDF
  • Added support for displaying decals on the surface of an object.
  • Refactored bitmap slot handling and removed the fixed upper limit on the number of bitmaps. No more bmpman corruption!
  • Exposed the movie player to the scripting API for advanced display features
  • Integrated support for the Discord Rich Presence API
  • Added new, markup based user interface system using libRocket.
  • Converted pilot files from custom binary format to JSON
  • Fixed a 15-year old shockwave damage bug
  • Modified the default lighting settings, including for specular lighting on retail models
  • Fixed several bugs, including several major bugs from RC1

Launchers, if you don't have one already:
All platforms: For every day use, we recommend Knossos, an integrated solution for downloading and launching mods.

Hidden Text: Alternative Launchers • Show
Cross-platform: wxLauncher 0.12.x Test Build (ongoing project for a unified launcher, you should upgrade to the latest RC/test build if you have not yet)
Important: For best compatibility with FSO 3.8 and later you should use at least wxLauncher 0.12.

Windows:  Launcher 5.5g (Mirror) (Mirror) Not compatible with Windows 8+, use wxLauncher above
OS X:  Soulstorm's OS X Launcher 3.0
Linux:  YAL or by hand or whatever you can figure out.

Windows (32/64-bit)
Compiled by Appveyor on Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit, Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 3

64-bit: fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2-builds-Win64.zip

32-bit: fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2-builds-Win32.zip
This one is based on the SSE2 Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

Hidden Text: Alternative builds • Show

64-bit AVX: fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2-builds-Win64-AVX.zip
This one is based on the AVX Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler (fastest build if your CPU supports AVX instructions).

32-bit AVX: fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2-builds-Win32-AVX.zip
This one is based on the AVX Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

What are those SSE, SSE2 and AVX builds I keep seeing everywhere?
Your answer is in this topic.
Don't want to deal with that? Use Knossos and it will download the best build specifically for your PC!

OS X Universal (32/64-bit Intel)
Compiled on OS X 10.11.4, Xcode 7.3 (Apple LLVM version cross-reference)

fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2-builds-MacOSX.tar.gz

Linux 64-bit
Compiled on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS 64-bit, GCC 5
fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2-builds-Linux.tar.gz

These builds use a mechanism called AppImage which should allow these builds to run on most Linux distributions. However, we recommend that you compile your own builds which will result in less issues.
Alternatively, if there is a package in your software repository then you should use that. If you are the maintainer of such a package for a distribution then let us know and we will include that here.

Hidden Text: Other Platforms, Source Code • Show

Hidden Text: TrackIR Users • Show
Important!!
An external DLL is required for FSO to use TrackIR functions.  The following DLL is simply unpacked in to your main FreeSpace2 root dir.
TrackIR is only supported on Windows.
TrackIR SCP DLL (Mirror) (Mirror)

Known issues:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 04:43:21 pm by Goober5000 »

Beautiful present! :)

Offline AV8R

Woo hoooooo! Thank you all so much for your efforts. :yes: :yes:

Happy New Year to all!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 04:36:20 pm by AV8R »

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
It appears that, at the rate you are going, you'll never release 19.0.0 Final consistently. So, redouble your efforts. I am personally taking it into my own hands along with Knossos.

EDIT: I've got my fork of FS2 Open source code, and I've successfully used CMake to generate VS2019 builds. EDIT #2: Where do I begin, however?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:43:43 am by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

EDIT #2: Where do I begin, however?
One of these "Hello world"-tutorials?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It appears that, at the rate you are going, you'll never release 19.0.0 Final consistently. So, redouble your efforts. I am personally taking it into my own hands along with Knossos.

EDIT: I've got my fork of FS2 Open source code, and I've successfully used CMake to generate VS2019 builds. EDIT #2: Where do I begin, however?

Bryan, in the clearest possible terms available to me: ****. Off. You do not get to dictate release schedules. You do not get to make your own release. You will not "take matters into your own hands".

Yes, it is disappointing that the 19.0.0 release was so delayed as to slip into 2020. But looking at the amount of bugs that have been found and fixed since the start of the RC phase alone should tell you a lot about why it's taking so long; the only way to get it done faster is to read the github issues page and submit fixes that are then accepted into the main scp repository.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter

Bryan, in the clearest possible terms available to me: ****. Off. You do not get to dictate release schedules. You do not get to make your own release. You will not "take matters into your own hands".

Yes, it is disappointing that the 19.0.0 release was so delayed as to slip into 2020. But looking at the amount of bugs that have been found and fixed since the start of the RC phase alone should tell you a lot about why it's taking so long; the only way to get it done faster is to read the github issues page and submit fixes that are then accepted into the main scp repository.
Oh, sorry. I'll use my github repository my experimentations.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

As long as you keep your learning experiments separate and don't break anything in FSO it should be ok.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The RC phase of FSO 19.0.0 is nothing to criticise to be honest, as there was a gigantic amount of known issues fixed, new issues found (and fixed) and improvements made. Better to have a longer RC dev cycle than to make a flawed stable release.

Also combined with the recent 4.0 MediaVPs release and a following big push for asset creation by the community (looking at you Nyx) I think we could definitely say that 2019 was a very good year for Freespace, right?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Also combined with the recent 4.0 MediaVPs release and a following big push for asset creation by the community (looking at you Nyx) I think we could definitely say that 2019 was a very good year for Freespace, right?
1. This.
2. Could a mod snip out Bryans... development and put it elsewhere?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's fine.  A one- or two- post digression is not a tangent.  Don't turn it into one.

2019 was a very good year indeed.  And you could say that RC2 is, for all intents and purposes, Release 19 Final, with the exception of the multilock feature.  That is the only thing currently holding things up.

2019 was a very good year indeed.  And you could say that RC2 is, for all intents and purposes, Release 19 Final, with the exception of the multilock feature.  That is the only thing currently holding things up.

Was the multi-lock feature actually the only different between the WoD branch and the other builts?

There was also the mod-defined BMPMan limit but that has been merged already. So now it's just multilock.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
For the final release, are you gonna jump from the 19 series and just go to 20?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I think we'll call it 19.1, and the next release cycle will be 20.x.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Shouldn't these be 20.0.whatever as, well, it's 2020 now? :P
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think we'll call it 19.1, and the next release cycle will be 20.x.

IN THE YEAR 20XX...