Author Topic: Trends in Gaming.(a rant)  (Read 17369 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Trends in Gaming.(a rant)
Old Tyrian had some interesting character development... now that I think about it, if rather cliche
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 09:30:13 pm by Mars »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ah. The impression I got was that you were saying character development in general was a waste of time.
I think a better way of putting it is... there's a time and a place.

Lets take Need For Speed Most Wanted. There are charachters in the game but they're very very shallow indeed. And they don't need to be anything else.

The game - being all about arcade car racing - doesn't need deep charachter involvement to make it work. But something like NWN thrives on it. The trick (for game devs) is to know when to do which.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
(insert more comic relief)

Would it be half-baked if in FSX we have a Deekin & Dealen Red Tiger cross-over?

Deekin (Alpha2) - "The great Kobold pilot thrusts his ship into subspace with no fear... And then realises he is not knowing, where this particular node, actually leads to... Umm Boss (Alpha1)?"

(later during a surveilance mission)

Deekin (Alpha2) - "Doom Doom Doom, Doomy Doom Doom!"

Deelan (Alpha3) - "Kobold, cease you prattling and maintain radio silence, or I shall fly over to you and smite thee!"

:wtf: :P :lol:
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
Ahh yes, the doom song...

I think I prefer Deekin asking Valen "How come you have horns?"

Then they both talk about all the stuff they survived (I have survived the blades of thousands of enemies questing for my blood!) (Once old boss sat on Deekin!) (I have survived battles with 90% casualties!) (Once Deekin old boss farted, and Deekin stuck head in water pail. Deekin was only kobold in area to survive!)

Ahh, comic relief....

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Ah. The impression I got was that you were saying character development in general was a waste of time.
I think a better way of putting it is... there's a time and a place.

Lets take Need For Speed Most Wanted. There are charachters in the game but they're very very shallow indeed. And they don't need to be anything else.

The game - being all about arcade car racing - doesn't need deep charachter involvement to make it work. But something like NWN thrives on it. The trick (for game devs) is to know when to do which.

This is what I was talking about.  Some games need character development, while others don't.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Speaking of 'holy sh!t moments' and NWN (Hordes specifically):
When you finally beat that evil drow lady, and then Mephistopheles pulls a fast one on everybody. :ha:
Or when you finally reach the Knower of Names... one of my favorite things about NWN is that there's a lot of stuff you never see in person. You only hear about it and read about it, and so you have to use your imagination. Excellent case in point being all the legendary stuff you hear about in the 8th hell: the Sleeping Man's journey, Meph throwing those twelve folks hella far, etc. Except that you hear about this stuff and imagine it and get hyped up, and then you actually do see it. Walking into that clearing in the snow, seeing those twelve craters, and realizing the importance of the place, how far I had gone, on foot, THROUGH HELL... that was fun. We need more stuff like that in games.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
Speaking of 'holy sh!t moments' and NWN (Hordes specifically):
When you finally beat that evil drow lady, and then Mephistopheles pulls a fast one on everybody. :ha:
Or when you finally reach the Knower of Names... one of my favorite things about NWN is that there's a lot of stuff you never see in person. You only hear about it and read about it, and so you have to use your imagination. Excellent case in point being all the legendary stuff you hear about in the 8th hell: the Sleeping Man's journey, Meph throwing those twelve folks hella far, etc. Except that you hear about this stuff and imagine it and get hyped up, and then you actually do see it. Walking into that clearing in the snow, seeing those twelve craters, and realizing the importance of the place, how far I had gone, on foot, THROUGH HELL... that was fun. We need more stuff like that in games.

I agree, that place was beautiful, in how I had worked to get there.

Then Deekin told me to aim lower :hopping:.

I liked telling people: I played this game, where I was in this gigantic battle defending a fort, with an army, in an RPG, then some random deamon sent me to hell. So my character is now in hell. Soooo... How do I get out of hell?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Me go gem! :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
 :wtf:

I believe that hand belongs to me....

Hmm, wonder what happens if I make a female character and go through that part..... (with Aribeth  :lol:)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Had NWN not started to really bore me I might have been able to tell you...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
One of my favorite games of all time was, without a doubt, Deus Ex 1. The game had resonably good graphics for the time, but more importantly it had very well developed characters, and also a deep plot and a very complex story.

It also knew just what to show you. My of my biggest "wow" moments was when I first saw the "'Ton" hotel, which was actually the Hilton. They knew what to show you to make you feel like "wow the future really sucks for the US".....
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key