Author Topic: Can I play with damage lightning?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Can I play with damage lightning?
The damage lightning effect (the intermittent crackles when a ship is at critical health) is really cool. Is there a way we can de-couple this effect from that limited application and use it elsewhere?

My understanding is that it picks two random vertices and arcs between them. Could we force this effect to happen constantly between two (or more) defined points? Maybe using the glowpoint system. For example having an "ionizing field" in the gap of the Anuket's gas collector, or "blinking" in sequence to simulate the Sathanas cutscene claw lightning arcs.

Maybe it could slot into the beam weapon system to use instead of (or in addition to) the layered bitmap effect, for an impressive capital ship weapon unlike anything we've seen before.

Or could it potentially be used to make a Tesla gun effect, like this?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:47:34 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Re: Can I play with damage lightning?
Here's some discussion regarding the subspace Sath and damage lighting:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95085.msg1873535#msg1873535

As for the beams, I think the Nightmare weapons ( :D ) from Reciprocity used very high Zadd or Flicker values to do something similar. As for unusual beams, the Electrobeams from MT also come to my mind.

BTW I think you only have to put the YT code into the tags to make it work.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Ah, thanks.

Do you have code snippets for the electrobeams that I could take a look at? Just for my curiosity, not very applicable to this topic (though the linked discussion certainly is.)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

I think the Mk 3 Beam is the most interesting one.

BTW, I suggest you take a look at my edited 4th Vial (Scroll SVN), the subspace effect I used on the Sath arms (made out of an INF-Nostos effect) might be similar to what you're looking for.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]