Author Topic: Bugfix/Request: Shorten the error messages  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Bugfix/Request: Shorten the error messages
I'm a bit fed up with the call stacks FSO debug keeps spewing. All too often they're longer than my screen is tall, prohibiting me from progressing past a such a warning. I'd consider it a bug, but if it doesn't fit the definition, then I'd like to submit a feature request for shorten the darn thing, or if it's impossible, to move the buttons further up.

That's how it looks right now. The error is a stupid typo, and I'd like to skip past it to continue debugging, but I can't, because the buttons are hidden. Not to mention those stacks were never any good for me, everything always is in the first two lines, or in the log. Instead of this mess, it'd be much more useful if it displayed, for example, the last 5 lines from the log.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Bugfix/Request: Shorten the error messages
thumbs up to finding a way to shorten or add a scroll bar to this
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
A valid bug, but regardless, you can skip it by pressing "n" for No.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
not always, there are two error "dumps" like that one is yes, no, ?cancel? the other is something like cancel and debug
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
not always, there are two error "dumps" like that one is yes, no, ?cancel? the other is something like cancel and debug
So?  The ones that the 'n' key doesn't work on cannot be skipped anyway.

To be more clear, warnings (the ones that give you yes, no, cancel). Errors or asserts (debug [I think it is actually ok], and cancel).  You are never intended to skip a error or assert because anything past that point will be undefined and/or will cause the engine to crash on the spot.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I totally agree with you Iss, however it has always seemed a bit unprofessional to have unscrollable windows larger than the viewable screen. I know we aren't a professional corporation or anything, but I know we have enough skill and care to take that extra step when possible.

But also, this is (as far as I'm concerned) a very low priority request.. especially while we are in the middle of an RC cycle that has already been drawn out.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I totally agree with you Iss, however it has always seemed a bit unprofessional to have unscrollable windows larger than the viewable screen. I know we aren't a professional corporation or anything, but I know we have enough skill and care to take that extra step when possible.

But also, this is (as far as I'm concerned) a very low priority request.. especially while we are in the middle of an RC cycle that has already been drawn out.
I also agree with you.  This has been discussed several times (usually just before a Final release is due) and so gets put off and because no one ever seems to create a mantis report for it, it never gets fixed because we are not going to hold up the release to fix what is a cosmetic issue with a content developer tool.

I cannot file a mantis report right now so can someone do that and link it here, I will target it for the next release and hopefully this feature will get added the next time around.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art