Author Topic: Derelict Needs a Facelift  (Read 31413 times)

Derelict Needs a Facelift
Derelict has turned into one of my favorite mods. The story is engaging, the missions are a challenge, and it's VA'd to boot. On the other hand the planets are just awful compared to what can be put up there now. With some new backgrounds I think this mod would be unbelievable.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Derelict Needs a Facelift
:yes:

It'd be nice to have a list of known bugs/issues/whatever. I restarted the campaign, taking note of many things which IMHO had to be changed, but progress stopped when I became inactive about one year ago and I have no idea where those papers are now. Adding enhanced backgrounds and starfields were also in my agenda.

If anyone can provide a list, it'd be great: not only it won't force me from replaying the whole campaign again... it will also ensure that the bugs I missed will be fixed. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Well it's probably a horrible hack but I copied the MV_Effects.vp from mediavps_3612 and dropped it into the Derelict mod folder. The results are a thousand times better but like I said it's probably not the best way to do things. Thing is I've been up and down that wiki and it's tutorials and I have only been able to learn some relevant basics. Much is missing or woefully out of date. I realize people are busy, and  I admit I'd rather have people working on making the game better, but something needs to be done about the tutorials. As a reference source the wiki is pretty good, it just leaves practical application to trial and error.  A community like this deserves a comprehensive tutorial wiki much like The Elder Scrolls has.

Sorry didn't mean to go into a wiki rant.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well it's probably a horrible hack but I copied the MV_Effects.vp from mediavps_3612 and dropped it into the Derelict mod folder. The results are a thousand times better but like I said it's probably not the best way to do things. Thing is I've been up and down that wiki and it's tutorials and I have only been able to learn some relevant basics. Much is missing or woefully out of date. I realize people are busy, and  I admit I'd rather have people working on making the game better, but something needs to be done about the tutorials. As a reference source the wiki is pretty good, it just leaves practical application to trial and error.  A community like this deserves a comprehensive tutorial wiki much like The Elder Scrolls has.

Once the 3.6.12 MediaVPs are patched, Derelict can simply be altered to use the 3.6.12 MVPs by editing the mod.ini (or so I hope.)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Well, maybe, JUST MAYBE, you should post those deficiencies somewhere? Like in the FS WIki board here on the site? So that someone can TAKE A LOOK and IMPROVE IT? Instead of ranting about it here?

Also, even if something like that mediavps hack works for you, don't, for crying out loud, encourage others to do so. We put out the various guides FOR A REASON. That reason being that we know they work. Should you encounter problems, you're on your own.

So, in the end, instead of posting a workaround, why don't you tell us what problems you encountered running Derelict with the new mvps? We already know about one (beam fade), are there others?

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, that may have been a little to rage-y, and I apologize if it comes across as insulting, but I'd rather see constructive criticism than ranting.

There aren't any problems that I can tell other than the mod wasn't using the mediavps_3612 and the backgrounds looked bad. When I looked through the tables I noticed the file names were the same as those in MV.Effects.vp so I looked around to find a way to point Derelict to those files but was unable to find an answer. General Battuta's clue was the one I was looking for. I changed mediavps to mediavps_3612 in the mod.ini, removed my workaround, and it worked. The problem was I didn't know what I was looking for so trial and error comes into play, post my result, get yelled at by you, and then finally figure it out. If after my original post someone would have said "Check the mod.ini." it would have been a much shorter journey. The good news of course is I know more than I did yesterday, so all is well.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You also said something about deficient documentation, which is what caused me to go into rant mode. If you see a piece of advice somewhere that contradicts others, or an out of date tutorial, tell us so we can fix it. Don't post a rant somewhere where only people like me can see them.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I played about half of Derelict on 3.6.12 and didn't notice any mission breaking issues.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
That's good, very good. Do you mind playing the rest of the campaign? :)

Important thing. Don't limit preliminary reports to serious bugs or similar oddities: if there's something that needs to be improved, both from a graphical or gameplay standpoint, just say it. For example, I believe backgrounds need improvements and a few events here and there need to be modified. New SEXPs and other SCP enhancements may also be used to significantly boost the experience (I have a better version of Derelict's Saphah coming slowly ;)).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well to be clear I played the latter half. I was part way through when I got 3.6.12... It's been a while since I touched Derelict since I beat it...

Seriously though, I don't actually play FS as much as I work on my various projects... I SHALL NEVER SLEEP TILL THE CUTSCENES ARE DONE!

All that to say.. don't wait on me to test it as it would take a long time...  :blah:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Is anyone else available?
The Lightblue Ribbon

I could play through it again and make a list. I can't guarantee I'll catch everything but I'll give it a shot.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Thanks in advance, that'd be great. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I have a better version of Derelict's Saphah coming slowly ;)).

Do you mean a re-skinned HTL Iceni model?

If so, drop me a PM please :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Done. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh can we fix the Boadicea's docking ports so it doesn't need to be lamp shaded with "holographic projectors"?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh can we fix the Boadicea's docking ports so it doesn't need to be lamp shaded with "holographic projectors"?

NO

x315345634163416346 times no that was my favorite part!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Shouldn't that be done by the FSU? Unless Derelict featured its own version of the Boadicea... well, we can always use the one featured in FSPort.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

NO

x315345634163416346 times no that was my favorite part!
Seriously, that was about the best fourth-wall-nudging technical-glitch exposition I've ever seen in the community.