Author Topic: FPS limiter question  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Volta

The default frame rate limiter is set on 120+ fps, is there a way to reduce it without needing an external fps limiter and also not having to rely on vsync?

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
You could use Nvidia profile inspector (if you have Nvidia card).  I know that's technically an external limiter, but it isn't really a separate program running as much just as a setting for your driver.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
RTSS software (included with the latest MSI Afterburner) has got both the framerate limit and scanline sync options - if you fiddle with them, you should get your desired frame limit and be able to compensate for screen tearing and input lag a bit.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Volta

I'm using  a very old machine and don't have my main rig available for now and can't use nvidia profile inspector because my GPU is a 7900GTO and sadly not compatible.

Also RTSS's frame rate limiter seems to always chew up a cpu thread for no reason and for a old dual core cpu it's just a massive problem when i have to multitask with the game also being on.

A engine based frame limit solution has helped me for old games like half life 2 or other source based games.  :sigh:

Offline m!m

You can customize the FPS cap the engine uses with the MaxFPS configuration option. Simply set that to your desired FPS and it should work:
Code: (fs2_open.ini) [Select]
[Default]
<some other options>
MaxFPS=60

Offline Volta

You can customize the FPS cap the engine uses with the MaxFPS configuration option. Simply set that to your desired FPS and it should work:
Code: (fs2_open.ini) [Select]
[Default]
<some other options>
MaxFPS=60

Thanks! it worked!  :yes:

Is there any reason why the .ini file is stored in the appdata folders and not the root fs2 folder?

Offline m!m

The reason for that is that the FS2 root is not necessarily accessible for writing (e.g. if you install it into the "Program Files" folder). The AppData is always writable so we are using that instead.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I wonder if putting a shortcut upon installation to the %appdata% folder used would be desirable, for fs2, knossos, any programs that use it.  Would make it much easier to access for those not familiar with the location (especially if they still have system files hidden).