Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2657694 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Hum interesting. Which modscampagn is that ? I love the ship model. Where could I get it ? /me want !!!

I'm using the Titan in my campaign, there should be a download link for the ship somewhere on this forum.

Can you upload it to HC please? I'm sure many people would like it.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
one question for the development team and im sure this is in the wrong place did anyone else think that when a ship is stopped the engines shouldn't be lit.

IIRC it has been thought, but most likely it's being kept as is to retain the FreeSpace 2 feel on that part. If the game was more simulator and less arcade, it would be more likely to be dealt with, but as it is... I prefer to think it like this:

When you drive a car, even when the engine is idling it makes some sound. Completely shutting off your engine while driving isn't really a good idea because it powers the electrics, brakes (to varying extent), power steering and then some. Also, re-starting the engine on the fly takes some time and attention. Similarly I would think that when the engines in FS2 are on idle, they still need some fuel to keep them running. Who knows what kind of an ordeal it is to actually fire up those engines - you most likely don't just throttle them up. There's probably multiple pages long checklists for operating them...

and am i the only one that has the engine glow bleed through the ship models

You're not the only one, and it's highly model specific. Some have their thruster points set so that very little or no clipping at all occurs, some have been designed with older POF thrusters in mind and thus can have more problems with animated thruster effects, especially if the thrusters are recessed in the hull (like in case of GTF Apollo).

I don't know what can be done about it, though, apart from making separate thruster glow animations for different ships so that clipping doesn't occur even at full thrust. That would take a lot of time and effort and would also require changes to ship tables so that the ships would actually use their specific thruster effect.

Quite possible the long rumoured and anticipated shaders could be better for utilizing light effects like this, but that's a long way into the future I think, and won't be any kind of holy grail in itself...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Darius

Can you upload it to HC please? I'm sure many people would like it.

Had problems uploading it to HC.  :sigh:

But the link I got it from (here) should still work fine.

I don't know i guess my thought on the engine glow was that when your completely stopped it shouldn't look as if there is a lot of thrust out the back Which would imply that there was outgoing thrust. and i see what you mean about model specific where as i was thinking maybe there could be code to collision model it or something,

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The problem there is that none of the effects - except the particle smoke, to some small extent - are really volumetric. They are all basically square animated textures that the game basically attaches to certain parts of the ship and renders them so that they point backwards (assuming the ship is not turning, some ships like Ulysses actually have them turn when the ship turns...).

If the "starting point" of the texture is inside a cavity on the ship, then there is a chance that at full thrust, the texture may spread outside the cavity, clip into the model, and possibly even reach the outer surface of the ship. And, because the thruster effect is not model-based, you can't really use collision detection on it (AFAIK) to limit the size of the texture. You would need to manually either change thruster texture radius on the ships where the problem occur, or possibly elongate the thruster texture so that at same length they would appear less wide, and thus would not clip with the model.

Although, I must add a disclaimer - I don't really know what I'm talking about, I'm just putting things that I do know together and deducting the rest.  :p

I would consider thruster clipping a relatively minor problem, though...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
HDRish ftw

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline CKid

God, I wish I had a ATI card so I can do that crazy s@!#.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I'm gonna have to dig  up my shader thing and use it.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Yeah i've got the smartshaders with hdrish and hdrish-lite if anybody wants them with a smartshader loader. I feel sorry for Col.Campbell though, his gmail doesn't work :(

Btw dab what's your flag settings? I know you had hdrish there, but you're flag settings seem absolutely perfect.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What do you mean, his gmail doesn't work?  :confused: how is that possible?  Mine works fine; always has.  What browser you using, Col?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Yeah i've got the smartshaders with hdrish and hdrish-lite if anybody wants them with a smartshader loader. I feel sorry for Col.Campbell though, his gmail doesn't work :(

Btw dab what's your flag settings? I know you had hdrish there, but you're flag settings seem absolutely perfect.

I can't look it up atm, but try reducing the in-game brightness value. That does the trick for me. ;)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
If i were to buy an HP 7755 PC, would it be able to pump out effects like that?

I really want the snazz back in my FS2 life. :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I'm using Firefox, but I gave S-99 my hotmail and now I'm cool.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Idk his gmail wasn't letting me send **** to it.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
What you using, S-99?  Hotmail?  *wonders about an M$ vs Gmail conspiracy*

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Well, when i sent the **** to the gmail. Hotmail gave me the usual response say if the col's inbox was full.

SMBFD

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I've heard about and seen for nvidia something equivalent to hdrish, and that was a bloom shader file from doom3 that people were able to use in other opengl games. But didn't quite work in fs2. I wonder what was up with that.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, when i sent the **** to the gmail. Hotmail gave me the usual response say if the col's inbox was full.

BS.  I somehow doubt he's got more than 2.5 gigs in his Inbox.  That's just M$ being retarded, I think.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I've heard about and seen for nvidia something equivalent to hdrish, and that was a bloom shader file from doom3 that people were able to use in other opengl games. But didn't quite work in fs2. I wonder what was up with that.

The Nvidia Bloom thing only works correct with Id engine games. In FS2 it causes some strage gfx errors.

Anyway, I picked the best shots(!). The bloom looks very wrong in quite a few situations.
I won't use it when I play for real.

@colecampbell666

Works for me. Try again.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Damn it when I saw "Last Post by DaBrain" I thought there was going to be a hot new screen shot...