Author Topic: Warlock  (Read 7591 times)

Offline dragon1

Hi all,
I have always been a little confused about the weapons on the Warlock-class Destroyer. I have seen many conflicting websites. Does anyone know what the release 3 weapon loadout will be?

The large turrets appear to be the same or similar to those used on the Nova-class Dreadnought, but some websites state that those are heavy pulse cannons. I may be wrong, but I thought that the Nova-class BB/DN carried Heavy Plasma Cannons. If they are pulse cannons, can they also fire heavy lasers like the pulse cannons on the Omega-class Destroyer?

The port and starboard missile launchers; are they anti-fighter weapons or anti-capship weapons?

What is the side bay for?

Thanks to the community and the developers of the Babylon Project

Though I have no idea what the team is planning this is what I've seen of the ships in the series and other sources.

The Nova Dreadnought Battleship originally had trans phased heavy plasma cannons. According to B5 Wars (Which acquired special editors from JMS for the 2nd revisions to make them canon) the post Civil War variant was upgraded with Heavy pulse cannons and fixed the power distribution problems which prevented the ship from moving while firing.

The Warlock has 2 forward Heavy Particle Laser Cannons like the ones mounted on the GodSats, the turrets are Heavy Pulse Cannons like the Nova and large and small ballistic missiles or torpedos, both against other cap ships and for planetary strikes. The side bay is the landing bay for fighters and shuttles, the forward bay only launches it doesn't support landings.

The Laser/Pulse system of the Omega Destroyer is a specialized hyrbrid weapon and other than the Poseidon Carrier I have not seen any other ship use it. The turrets on the Nova and Warlock are not these hybrid systems so they do not have the capibility to fire both pulse and lasers. There is a lot of confusion that particle beams and particle lasers are the same thing, they're not. The particle beam is more low key used for anti-fighter defense primarily; the X-Ray Heavy Laser is what was purchased by the EA during the Earth/Minbari War and is what is mounted on the Hyperion "Midwinters" and the Omegas and Warlocks.

I have no idea how the team is handling the loadouts but this is the information I've seen or have in my books. Hope that helps a little.
Fear is the Mind-Killer...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I don't know why they had to come up with some strange hybrid weapon on the Omega.

It is clearly visible even in the show that the Omega forward main guns have two gun ports. The other for pulses and the other for beams.

Current TBP Warlock weapon setup is below, but I seriously doubt it tells you nothing.

Code: [Select]

$Subsystem:             turret01a,        5.5, 0.0
$Default SBanks:        ( "EA Nemesis LG" )
$Subsystem:             turret02a,        5.5, 0.0
$Default SBanks:        ( "EA Nemesis LG" )
$Subsystem:             turret03a,        5.5, 0.0
$Default PBanks:        ( "EA Heavy Particle Beam" )
$Subsystem:             turret04a,        5.5, 0.0
$Default PBanks:        ( "EA Heavy Particle Beam" )
$Subsystem:             turret05a,        2.0, 0.0
$Default PBanks:        ( "EA Adv Plasma Turret 2" )
$Subsystem:             turret06a,        2.0, 0.0
$Subsystem:             turret07a,        2.0, 0.0
$Subsystem:             turret08a,        2.0, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret09a,        2.0, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret10a,        2.0, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret11a,        2.0, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret12a,        2.0, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret13a,        1.0, 2.4
$Default PBanks:        ( "EA Adv Plasma Turret" )
$Subsystem:             turret14a,        1.0, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret15a,        1.0, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret16a,        1.0, 2.4
$Default PBanks:        ( "EA Heavy Rail Gun" )
$Subsystem:             turret17a,        1.0, 2.4
$Default PBanks:        ( "EA Heavy Rail Gun" )
$Subsystem:             turret18a,        0.5, 2.4
$Default PBanks:        ( "EA Light Pulse Turret" )
$Subsystem:             turret19a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret20a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret21a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret22a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret23a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret24a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret25a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret26a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret27a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret28a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret29a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret30a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret31a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret32a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret33a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret34a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret35a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret36a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret37a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret38a,        0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret39a,      0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret40a,      0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret41a,      0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret42a,      0.5, 2.4
$Subsystem:             turret43a,      0.5, 2.4

I'm tecnically with you Mr. Fury.

There is one version which claims both weapons fire from the same barrel in the turret. Something like up to 3 pulse bursts mixed with laser beam strikes.

However there's another version that states that the Omega hybrid turret is a hybrid because it has 2 different weapon barrels in the same turret; 1 for the pulse weapon and one for the laser.
If this is the case, then it is logical to asume that both weapons could be fired simultaneously.

Personally I like the second option better and hope that's the one the team uses.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Its been used since R2.

Just look Severed Dreams very carefully. The pulses and beams are being fired from different gun points.

Yeah I have to take a closer look. The thing that confused me was there was this great artist rendition of Severed Dreams showing the Alexander firing the burst pulse and the artist mistakenly made the pulse fire from the laser barrel and not the pulse barrel. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
If you're a fighter attacking a Warlock, be afraid, very afraid.  Its got a ton of smaller weapons to shoot you down with.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Yes be afraid but atleast you die with honour  and was a headache to uv aswell ;)
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
just a minor little thing i thought i would add - muad'dib - the particle beam weapons are not low key weapons for anit fighter defence - particle beam weapons are the heaviest availble to the earth alliance and in the case of the warlock and god sats some of the most power beam weapons around only rivaled the minibari's heavy partcile beams and those of the first ones

even today particle beam weapons are more damaging than lasers - however lasers are easier to produce and operate

in b5 the xray laser is a powerful weapon but its not in the same league as the warlocks main guns but the warlock firing arc isn't nearly as good as the turret mountable x-ray laser -  so if your a capital ship being infront of a warlock is a bad tactical situation
ARGHHH

Here's the info I have, I think you are confusing the particle beam with the particle cannon.  

The particle beam is listed as firing a short single burst of charged particles at a target; designed to defend against fighters the extended range of this defensive weapon has made it effective in an anti-ship role also.

Heavy Particle Cannon was developed to be deployed in the GodSats and has been mounted on the Warlock. And I completely agree anything in front of the Warlock is going to have a very bad day, it's the most devastating weapon on a younger race ship since the Minbari Fusion beam. Since the Warlock is also supposed to be very maneuverable also it compensates for the limited firing arc of the main cannons.

X-Ray Heavy Laser is the beam that is fired from the single turret of the Hyperion and in the dual turret of the Omega in the show.

The Minbari have the Neutron cannon for the fighters and Fusion beams for lasers in the capital ships.

I honestly can't say I've ever seen the particle beam used in the show. I've seen the pulse weapons from the Hyperion, Nova and Omega fire as well as the lasers from the Hyperion and Omega. The Warlock had 2 appearances; once in A Call to Arms where it briefly is seen firing its missiles at the Dra'kh and once in the final episode of Crusade where if you blink you miss it. In A Call to Arms you do see the GodSats firing their main particle cannons and they look exactly like the X-Ray Heavy Laser but the standard particle beam has not been featured to my knowledge ever in the series.

Anyways I hope you guys can show the difference between the particle beams and the laser beams so they can be distinguished as different weapons.  Sorry for the ramble, but particle beams and laser beams have always kind of confused me.:)

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
well i admit i was thinking you ment particle beam as in teh warlock and godsat weapons but that aside for some unknown reason i want to call the weapons on teh omega-x partcile beam weapons though i have no supporting evidence of what they are - but the packed a whallop thats for sure
ARGHHH

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Omega X suppose to have fusion beams.:drevil:
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Yeah it's a bit confusing for me also.

The Omega-X's blue beams are listed as Light Molecular Slicers (Molecular Slicers are the Shadow beams); it says that the Shadow thralls gave the EA these scaled down versions of their beams for the Omega-X along with the hybrid organic armor.

Offline -Norbert-

I liked the color of those.
A shame that that color isn't used for any regular EA beams.

And there is a bit of a difference in appearance between X-Ray and Particlebeam. The X-Ray Beam is pure red while the particlebeam has a little bit orange in it. But it is a very little difference you only notice when you look really good (or my memory is wrong, but I din't think thats the case here).

And they definately talk about the strenght of the GOD's beams. I don't think a normal X-Ray Beam could destroy nothamericas whole westcost that fast.

Offline dragon1

Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Its been used since R2.

Just look Severed Dreams very carefully. The pulses and beams are being fired from different gun points.

I just watched Severed Dreams on the B5 season 3 DVD. It appeared that the Lasers and Pulses were coming from the same barrel on all of the Omega-class Destroyers. Maybe I'm missing something?

Offline Slasher

Originally posted by -Norbert-

And they definately talk about the strenght of the GOD's beams. I don't think a normal X-Ray Beam could destroy nothamericas whole westcost that fast.

Sheridan's second says its the people on the East Coast whose day is going to be ruined.  The beaches over here on the West Coast are better anyway. ;)

The beam effects look and sound a little different during Seasons 2, 3, and 4 if I remember correctly.  For instance, compare the Agamemnon's attack in All Alone in the Night with its forward guns in Endgame.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
The GOD sat cannons definitely were an yellow/white color based on the warmup glow you see from one of them right before its shot to bits by the (?)Apollo(?).

The GodSat heavy particle cannon is colored red or reddish like the Omega Laser, you see them fire prominently in A Call to Arms taking out the Dra'kh plague ships.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 11:37:08 pm by 1983 »

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Is that a crusade episode? Watched season 2-5 so far and haven't seen them used yet.

That's the tv movie that functioned as a pilot to launch Crusade. It's included in the 5 tv movie pack which also has B5 pilot The Gathering, In the Beginning, Thirdspace and River of Souls.

I think I read Crusade is or will be coming to DVD soon so you should check that out also if you can, very promising series.