Author Topic: Simulated/Training Missions Specific Skybox?  (Read 10054 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Simulated/Training Missions Specific Skybox?
For a training sim to intentionally add an artificial element into the scenario would defeat the entire purpose for which it was designed. 

Not if the purpose for which it was designed was to look awesome. :nod:
...except it's not.  As its name would suggest, it's designed to train people. :p

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I kind of think it would be rather absurd for a training simulator to have something so blatantly unrealistic as grid lines in the background.  Actual flight simulators today are intended to duplicate the real experience of piloting an aircraft as closely as possible; I'm sure manufacturers would kill to be able to reproduce photorealistic graphics without the slightest hint of artificiality.  For a training sim to intentionally add an artificial element into the scenario would defeat the entire purpose for which it was designed.

I said something along those lines. The gridline idea is silly and would make it look too much unlike the original missions. I agree. Plus, Volition never made it that way for a reason.
I believe I did as well. There is nothing remotely realistic nor simulating with grids in any forms of training with regards to flight simulations. Imagine how Flight Simulator would look if it had grids. Imagine if all FreeSpace missions had grids. That is a relevant concept because if FreeSpace didn't have grids to us, why would any training sim. be any different? Both are a simulations to us.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Because, grids are pretty.
It makes them boring training missions more interesting.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Not really. And even if it looked nice, which frankly I'm not convinced it would, there's design issues with implementing a grid in-game. Adding fine, uniform detail like that may conflict with GUI elements, other objects, and generally make things less visually coherent for the player. I also don't believe a functionless grid right out of pop-SF fits with the fairly grounded, militaristic atmosphere of Freespace.

It's not a bad idea, but I completely oppose adding it to the retail campaign. If Volition wanted gridlines I'm sure they would have built them in.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well-put, Ransom.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Not really. And even if it looked nice, which frankly I'm not convinced it would, there's design issues with implementing a grid in-game. Adding fine, uniform detail like that may conflict with GUI elements, other objects, and generally make things less visually coherent for the player. I also don't believe a functionless grid right out of pop-SF fits with the fairly grounded, militaristic atmosphere of Freespace.

It's not a bad idea, but I completely oppose adding it to the retail campaign. If Volition wanted gridlines I'm sure they would have built them in.

QFT

I like it when people can give some good arguments for something.

So, I think that convinced people that gridlines lose here?
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
But you could make a mission of someone playing on the arcade on an Arcadia... :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline sfried

Sigh, as I've said earlier...using the retail backgrounds would do for training missions, considering
a)we could use the "older tech" as a basis for the simulation
b)a nice nod to the original when it was released
c)will surprise first timers once they play the actual first mission in FS2Open
d)it's already there
Plus, I think the backgrounds on the retail still hold themselves up pretty well, especially when compared to the original Freespace.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sigh, as I've said earlier...using the retail backgrounds would do for training missions, considering
d)it's already there
Plus, I think the backgrounds on the retail still hold themselves up pretty well, especially when compared to the original Freespace.

This is silly. There's no reason to convince a million billion new users that some portion of their MVPs aren't working.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
d)it's already there
Blegh. That old crap be ugly now...

Why can't we just do it as a seperate VP, leave out the discussion off should we do it or not and just focuss on how we shall do it?

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Why can't we just do it as a seperate VP, leave out the discussion off should we do it or not and just focuss on how we shall do it?
Because threads in FSU Board connotes that they're recommended (though not necessarily, but even then, it's in the view of a lot of viewers), and the thread started out as wanting to include it in the mediavps.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Which is not going to happen.

But I am more than willing to provide any technical creation assistance.

I'm not one that agrees with the idea, but it has enough of a merit or attraction for some people that it would be a shame to see nothing come of the idea.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys