Author Topic: What Happened to HADES COMBINE? Final Explanation and our future.  (Read 23759 times)

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
What Happened to HADES COMBINE? Final Explanation and our future.
Latest Info: 11/16/2010: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=57222.msg1435859#msg1435859

So i know ive made random posts here and there on the subject but here is the full deal.

Old news:
Code: [Select]
Ipower.com was HC's web hoster ever since the site was moved off of Swooh, then HC had a great run with the new hosts until one day, they decide to upgrade their server OS, then on this fateful day something happened with the server itself, what exactly that is, i still dont know, but it had a multitude of effects, ranging from image links breaking, even when they pointed to the right direction, with the correct file at the destination, strangely enough, to corrupting our databases. After working with them for countless hours it turns out they didnt have any backups made before the server transition and there was nothing they could do or even tell me what they corrupted/changed... Great... I've tried fixing the databases, no effect, then restoring the old backups I had saved, but due to something with their new servers being different than when HC was backed up, that got corrupted to, and this time even worse.

Next there's the wonderful event that happened recently where while ipower was supposed to keep the adress registered and attached to my account, they somehow let that slip, which means the address www.hades-combine.com is no longer owned by me.

Basically Ipower totally reemed me after some 5 years of me paying for their service.

And for our furture:

Since the databases/web portal/forum are all damaged beyond repair at this point there's not much that can be done besides salvaging any small bits of data still left untouched, then totaly rebuilding the portal/forum on a new server.  HC as a full fleged website will probably be down for a long time, so dont hold your breath on that one.

However, the good news is, HC still does exist at least until next summer when our lease runs out (which by then i hope to find a new host to begin the rebuilding process), if not as a shadow of its former self, but some critical pieces are still left intact.

Including... *drum roll* .... The downloads!!!!

http://hades-co.ipower.com/web/mkportal/modules/downloads/file/

all the files should be ok, you just need to rename the extension to .rar after downloading (some of the downloads may be .exe's or .zip's , sorry i dont know which are which, but 99% are rars

Also all hosted project files are still accessible by their members ftp accounts (change host adress to match above) and if anyone wants some free space (even if its not FS related) id be happy to offer ftp accounts, since there's still tons of free space.

Id be happy to answer any questions, just realize it may take me a bit to respond as im rarely on HLP anymore, but i'll make a point of checking this thread when i can.

[b]Id also like to take this opportunity to thank Spicious and Cobra for all the help they've offered over the years, HC would of never made it to the point it got to without their help.

THANKS DUDES!!  :D [/b]
[/color]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:16:26 pm by Krackers87 »
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Re: What Happened to HADES COMBINE? Final Explanation and our future.
Cool, some people were looking for those files. Seems like we got access to all of 'em. Though the .mk extension isn't familiar to me.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
all the files should be ok, you just need to rename the extension to .rar after downloading (some of the downloads may be .exe's or .zip's , sorry i dont know which are which, but 99% are rars

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Cool, some people were looking for those files. Seems like we got access to all of 'em. Though the .mk extension isn't familiar to me.

Mk Portal (the web portal HC used) renames the extension of files once added to the download database, probably for database retrieval information.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

well listen method man

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Bah, so you can't get it back, eh?

Here's hoping we get the site back. :)

And we can put Freespacemods.net out of business... Mwahahaha....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:47:53 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Just go save link as -> and change the extension to .rar
I did that, and I got some neat stuff off there :D
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Just go save link as -> and change the extension to .rar
I did that, and I got some neat stuff off there :D

Well those model dumps look tasty.
    I'm not at home right now, but I'll download some of that next week if its still up.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Drat. The Internet Archive only saved the first three layers of the website. Anything beyond the category page for Downloads has been lost. :(
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
After working with them for countless hours it turns out they didnt have any backups made before the server transition and there was nothing they could do or even tell me what they corrupted/changed...
:eek2: It amazes me these people managed to keep it going for 5 years.

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Would it be possible to get this thread stickied? or the link put somewhere so people know where to go now for all the files?

well listen method man

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Poeple, now let's reupload those files to the FSMODS :D
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sticky'd, and newsified to boot.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:30:09 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Sticky'd, and newsified to boot.

Sweet, thanks dude.

well listen method man

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

WHAT! Why should we? Hades-Combine all the way! :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Since when did backups hurt?  :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Because FSMods is generally more stable.

And I'm an admin over there. :nervous:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You can never have files in too many places, as anyone who's ever suffered a hard drive failure can attest.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Since when did backups hurt?  :p

We all know you came up with FSMods just to copy us. :nervous:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
We all came up with FSMods to replace the site that went down under.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
We all came up with FSMods to replace the site that went down under.
I honestly never expected FSMods to take off, but I came around very shortly (Just a few days IIRC) after HC went down.  I started the site because it seemed like HC wasn't all that active, and I got tired of mirroring everything I saw myself.  I figured, hey, why not turn it into a community effort?

Now I host the official downloads for FSPort, SA, TVWP, The Babylon Project, and EBW.  I host some of the campaigns for Turey's installer, the project forums for TotT and The Shard of Infinity, scoobydoo's models, and all the mods on the main page.

I'm satisfied.  :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz