Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908369 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
How the deuce did you manage to save the Vilnus? it dies before I even get there T_T
By being fast, precise, determined, a bit lucky ..... and switching to lowest difficulty setting.

You "just" have to take out three slasher beams on the Hecate (the two on the bottom and one in the back) and one on the Deimos (the backwards one). After that you should continue to disarm a few more turrets on the Deimos (on try two the Juarez took down the Vilnius with the FLAK on her middle engine....) and if you're lucky, the Vilnius will survive (at 4% when I finally managed on the third try). I'm not 100% sure, but I think some fighters attack that cruiser too.
You really have to blast towards the enemy at full speed right from the beginning, before the Vilnius even jumps in.

I was even able to take down the Juarez' engines and get it destroyed too :D That was for Luna you murderous bastards!

My loadout was Mauler in the tripple slot (but I only used that on a few fighters after disarming any turrets that shot at the Vilnius) and Scalpel in the other. Thinking back, it would have probably been better the other way round....
Missiles: all out Hellfire.

Offline Delta_V

I was just playing one of the missions with Serkr Team (I forgot which one), when I noticed something odd.  I was flying towards them, and noticed that the Bellerophon didn't seem to have beam cannons, but then they just appeared as I got closer. 

I looked at the models in PCS2, and the second lods for both the Chimera and Bellerophon do not have any turrets, which is not unusual.  However, the lack of main beams on the second lod is quite noticable.  In game, it is very obvious when the games switches lods on these ships as you fly towards them. 

Would it be possible to add at least the main beam cannons to the second lods of these ships?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I was just playing one of the missions with Serkr Team (I forgot which one), when I noticed something odd.  I was flying towards them, and noticed that the Bellerophon didn't seem to have beam cannons, but then they just appeared as I got closer. 

I looked at the models in PCS2, and the second lods for both the Chimera and Bellerophon do not have any turrets, which is not unusual.  However, the lack of main beams on the second lod is quite noticable.  In game, it is very obvious when the games switches lods on these ships as you fly towards them. 

Would it be possible to add at least the main beam cannons to the second lods of these ships?

Yeah, that's something we noticed and would like to fix. We could always use some modelers to help out, as Esarai is very busy.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Forget about Tevs ships, Steve-O's ships are the ones needing the more work.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline SP2000

Impressions are as follows:

First of all I thought Age of Aquarius was awfully mediocre. It felt just out of place within the FS Universe. Too much focus on character drama and fulfilling your destiny and adding in Vishnans which seemed like a "oh we need a good epic ancient race to counter the evil epic ancient race" The cold militarism of the Freespace universe was gone and in it's place was a load of spiritual crap. This is FS, not BSG(or at least BSG after it became stupid)

Now, War in Heaven. I'll start with the criticism.

The POV seemed skewed somewhat heavily towards the Ubuntu side. Now, I know that the viewpoint of Laporte is different than that of the authors, but still. It's just that the overall campaign seemed to portray the GTVA as the big bad imperialistic goons fighting against a peaceful, enlightened race. I see that both sides have a point to their argument, even though I think the GTVA is right in the long term. I think a few missions from the GTVA side are in order, simply to keep things balanced. The UEF seemed almost flawless when from the backstory it appears they are just as flawed at the GTVA except in another way.

Although it was much less than Age of Aquarius, the visions and spirituality should be toned down a bit. The briefings should be a little bit more formal. One of the things I like about FS is how the Command Briefings convey almost no emotion, simply facts and objectives. It lends an air of authenticity to everything. A problem with many custom campaigns that makes them lose professionalism and turns them into melodramatic fan fiction(not saying that BP is) is that they try to inject emotion and feelings into Freespace. FS has always had a very militaristic atmosphere while being dark and mysterious. I hope that whatever new projects you guys release will try to keep this intact as much as possible.

Now on the other hand, War in Heaven has excellent missions and gameplay. I don't say this lightly, but it's probably got the best missions of any FS2 campaign.
The last mission in particular was amazing. This is what war is space should be like. Every other mission in the FS2 engine was shamed after playing that.The amount of ships
and flak and beams and general firepower on display made it feel like it was a fleet engagement of the highest order. Even when other campaigns claim to have big battles, I am usually let down. I didn't think
the engine was capable of this.

Great use of "Budget Meeting" from the King Arthur soundtrack. Might want to take Globus - Preliator out and replace it, since it's a little bit overused in the sense of being epic cliche music, but at least you didn't use Reqium for a dream. But otherwise great music overall.

I have high hopes for whatever new campaigns are released. I just hope that more of the FS style atmosphere is used and there is less focus on characters and more on the overall war.

Also I just realized I have 3 posts over 6 years. Is that a record or something?
Strong Bad's
             Summer Jam

[urlhttp://www.homestarrunner.com/fhqwhgads.html[/url]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
BP is a definite departure from the core FreeSpace narrative style in terms of its approach to emotion. And yeah, not everybody's going to like that. It's a tricky line to walk, since most of our commenters love it, and then some of them are very vocal in disliking it.

I think in the long run people will see the spiritualism/destiny stuff in a more...subversive light. I can't talk more about that, but it's something we're interested in examining from more than one angle (i.e. Sam's very accepting angle). We know what we're doing there, and how it meshes with the mood of FS2, but it hasn't paid off yet.

I'm glad you enjoyed the missions and the campaign! Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:21:54 pm by General Battuta »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Hey, if people don't like BP, shame on them. Haters gotta hate. To the BP crew : don't change anything guys.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I like the new narrative style, it's nice to have a departure from the cold and utilitarian FreeSpace style.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline -Sara-

Besides, good authors never write books for their fans. They just write books and the true fans will come. That's what I like about BP.  :yes:
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Qent

Hey, if people don't like BP, shame on them. Haters gotta hate.
I hope this wasn't directed towards SP2000, because he's obviously not a hater.

It's just that the overall campaign seemed to portray the GTVA as the big bad imperialistic goons fighting against a peaceful, enlightened race.
I was quite surprised by this, though. For me, every intercepted message seemed to scream, "These are the 'good guys' you're killing." Their tactics may be ruthless, but they're fighting for the survival of the human race.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If the narrative tries to convince you that the GTVA is big bad and imperialistic, that's because it's pretty distorted by Laporte's point of view.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If the narrative tries to convince you that the GTVA is big bad and imperialistic, that's because it's pretty distorted by Laporte's point of view.

Even Laporte doesn't believe that until the end. And even then I'm not sure she believes it intellectually; she just comes to recognize the need to hate the enemy.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Hey, if people don't like BP, shame on them. Haters gotta hate.
I hope this wasn't directed towards SP2000, because he's obviously not a hater.
Nope, rather after Battuta about those "very vocal disliking it" - which is a friendly way of saying "haters" to me :D

Anyway, the GTVA isn't really BAD, it's just a bunch of fools who think they stand a chance against the Shivans - which is so obviously wrong it's just not funny anymore.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The Alliance will start believing you when you put the pictures from the Shivan get together at the Feds' place on facebook. :P

Until then, there's no tangible reason for the Alliance to support the Elders' "We'll invite them over for tea and talk it over," solution.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:55:05 am by Dilmah G »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Anyway, the GTVA isn't really BAD, it's just a bunch of fools who think they stand a chance against the Shivans - which is so obviously wrong it's just not funny anymore.

The objective isn't even to fight them on a straight level, it's to hold them long enough to collapse a node. That's entirely within the realm of possiblity. It also fits nicely in with the GTVA's belief that the UEF would destroy the forward defense concept necessary to have a chance of survival.

So if you think the GTVA are fools, it's because you don't understand what's going on. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'm not even gonna answer to a post which is both obviously wrong and obviously trolling.

Offline Qent

The objective isn't even to fight them on a straight level, it's to hold them long enough to collapse a node. That's entirely within the realm of possiblity. It also fits nicely in with the GTVA's belief that the UEF would destroy the forward defense concept necessary to have a chance of survival.

So if you think the GTVA are fools, it's because you don't understand what's going on. :P
I have no doubt that's part of it, but I fully expect to find out that the GTVA's plans are much scarier and awesomer that that. :P

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm not even gonna answer to a post which is both obviously wrong and obviously trolling.
I thought NGTM-1R has a valid point.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I thought so too. :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You can't "hold" the Shivans when they start sending Dantes. And the GTVA know of Dantes since they have the records of the 14th battlegroup. Nuf said.