Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102173 times)

Offline eicca

Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
Well, the campaign itself is a single less-than-5MB VP file called "bpc-fs2blue.vp", and "bpc-core.vp" is around 21 MB and contains all the tables. I'm not sure if anything relies on changed model files, though (for extra turrets, for instance). If it did, though, they'd probably be the MediaVPs' models, and therefore combining those two VP files with the 2014 MediaVPs could, theoretically, be all you need to play FS: Blue by itself. I would just note that I obviously haven't tested this myself, and do not really recommend it if you have the space/bandwidth to download all of BP Complete.

Just tried it. Throws errors before pilot selection and then freezes at the mission loading screen.

Offline Darius

Some of the sounds and music tbls reference non-MVP stuff

I feel like Slaying Ravana might be too quick now; although, does that just put it in line with the early game difficulty curve? Probably, yeah...

Well, it certainly is a lot less underwhelming then the original was, but it still is rather underwhelming for a boss battle.
The question is, to me: Do you intend FS2Blue to be played by people who have already played FS2 or do you intend for it to be a game where absolutely fresh players can run around? If it's the latter, you really ought to do something about the intro movie being a massive spoiler for the campaign, whilst if it's the former you can easily tweak the difficulty. Right now, The Romans Blunder is a more impressive mission, as it requires you to actually do some tactical planning. On the other hand, Slaying Ravana is basically a case of throwing in a few bombs and make sure that a fighter does not tail you. It kinda undersells the shivans as a fearsome enemy in contrast to A Lion at the Door, too.

Yeah, Slaying Ravana was made intentionally easier because it was the first bombing mission and bombing in Freespace generally sucks. Making a hard bomber mission without fixing the inherent problem with bombers is just sadistic.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Sounds like the Ravana needs some plot armor.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Huh, so the COlussus did nto fire any of it's beams when Koth tried to ram it.

Seems like it'd be easy enough to fix Slaying Ravana -- give it a ton more hitpoints, and give the player a much larger number of bombers to work with. It's larger in scope without being significantly harder, and, as an added bonus, huge volleys of bombs look awesome.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's already got a ton more HP, and maneuvers, and more defensive armament! Adding more bombers will reduce the player's marginal contribution, which makes the mission feel less interesting. It may just need slightly more toughness on the Ravana.

But it is a notorious difficulty spike, I'm not 100% sad to see it a bit nerfed.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about giving it one of the more rapid-fire AI types?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Random Idea, (and I know It does not 100% fit current BP canon) But what if we made the Terran ship into a GTC Cretheus? http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTC_Cretheus the FS2 styled flak gunboat thing. then put it just below and slightly to the left of the players start position, and move the Vasuden corvette back to it's original spot.

It could provide cover for the bombers and have little impact on the Ravana's health due to it's lack of anti-warship beam weapons. As for the plothole, the BP tech room says that It was interned to be deployed by that time anyway- but was delayed.  just say that this was the 1st prototype and the one in Vassago's Durge was the 2nd.

plus it's got much more AAA flak/beams and the mission dialogue calls for a cruiser anyway.

but I'm just babbling off the top of my head here.  :wtf:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:58:58 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

You can also just use an Aeolus?

The suggested ship is non-canon. The point is to improve on the original FS2 campaign without fundamentally altering the story. Introducing a non-canon ship would be a pretty fundamental alteration. An Aeolus would be campaign appropriate.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Well, yes (and I addressed that) but given the changes already made, the changes to the weapons, (Balor available in certain missions) (not to mention the redoing of many techroom entries) It did not seem like it was beyond what they would do as it's just one ship, but meh an Aeolus is perfect too.

The point was that it would help give the player cove without providing beam support, (It could be the extra beams that create the need to beef-up the Ravana in the first place) and as a ship the Cretheus perfect for that role. an Aeolus would work great too, I just figured It'd be nice to have the Cretheus appear more then once in the entire mod.   :drevil:

As I said, Thinking off the top of my head.  :ick:

I agree though, the mission was too much of a difficultly spike.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:30:08 am by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

I was under the impression that the Balor being available was a bug they were working on.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Heya, Blue Planet's post-processing shaders appear to make the game look quite a bit darker!
I made a few comparison shots, using the same (default - presets off) lightning settings for all shots, the only difference being either The Mod Used or the Post Processing Shader on/off.

BPOff: Freespace Blue with Post Processing off.
BPOn: Freespace Blue with Post Processing on.
MVPOn: MediaVPS with post processing on.
Vanilla: Just to show how far the game has come :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Luis Dias

god that ship's ugliness is generalised in all post-processing options...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Lol we were just complaining about how dark everything is on internal. Somebody better look at that table!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
-Joshua-, is that in 3.7.4 or with a recent nightly build? It's just that HDR completely changes lighting and you don't appear to have something glowing in front of you to make it obvious which one it is.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

It's 3.7.4 final.

Currently playing Rebels and Renagades: When the Hinton is destroyed, Beta and Delta wings go to "No orders" instead of guarding the Iceni. This does make the subsequent section with the asteroids a bit harder: 2/3rds of the squads really shouldn't be fiddling their thumbs.