Author Topic: Need help making smaller cruisers behave realistically  (Read 1809 times)

Need help making smaller cruisers behave realistically
I'm having difficulties getting the Drazi Firehawks to act believeably in combat. They're only bein attacked by enemy fighters, but I want to find some sensible way to make them respond to the fighters attacking by say turning to meet them so they actually use their weapons and fire upon them.

I don't want to have to go to the effort of planning out all the individual ship movements, but I'm not sure what else I can do.

I'm about to try using the set-ship-facing sexp to point the ships towards hostile vessels, but if it works they only be rotating not moving.

So has anyone found better ways to do it? Would it better to make them behave like the whitestars do (which isn't ideal, but is better than the way the Drazi cruisers behave).

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Still waiting for the SCP to finish the gunship AI... Then Sunhawk, WS and Vree ships will behave like they are supposed to be.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Prophet Still waiting for the SCP to start the gunship AI... Then Sunhawk, WS and Vree ships will behave like they are supposed to be.

Fixed it for you :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

When, where and how can I get it?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Learn to program, become a genius at AI programing, lose all your hair and sanity looking at the AI code.

That seems to be the quickest way at the moment.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I once suggested having "Target by Big" and "Target by Big No Bomb" flags that would cause a ship with bomber and fighter AI to be targetted by big weapons like cap-ships, but still behave like fighter and bomber craft.  The second of the 2 would be useful to prevent bombs from being launched at things like a whitestar, which would be too fast to be hit by one.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!