Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 282809 times)

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
either that, or one of escaping guilt. :p

Here's hoping its the former... :D

I have a question related to this topic.  I want to learn how to script plugins for both Maya and 3DS.  I found some books out for general Maya (MAL?) scripting, but I can't find any on 3DS.  Weather I work on another game or this one, I would like to know how to create plug-ins.  My question is, what books do you know of, would you sugest me looking into for learning how to do this on either or Maya & 3DS?  Thanks.
The big cool ship...

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Not sure about what books are available. I guess you could try a google search for them.

I do believe that 3dsmax comes with help files on how to use it though. Given that you've some general coding knowledge you should be able to pick it up pretty easily.

Figuring out the pof data though, that's another question.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Pof specs are available via freespace-2.com IIRC
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Sure?

Thought one had to nick them off Kaz...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yep.  I've been using them to hex-hack fixes for things the converters have screwed up in the header.

EDIT: http://www.freespace-2.com/ddn/specs/pof/

except that the domain seems to have expired on 04/11/2005.  Go figure.  Please tell me someone has these backed up.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline revomode

• Banned
Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing
Originally posted by Styxx
Ok, this is the first public beta version. It's basically an export plugin for 3D Studio MAX r5 - it won't work on other versions as of now, but I'm working on recompiling it for MAX 4 and 6. It'll convert the model, and if you add the proper helpers and adjust the names, it can generate most of the extra POF data. Right now it's able to generate:

- Detail Levels
- Debris
- Gun/Missile Turrets
- Gun/Missile Banks
- Shields
- Insignia
- Paths
- Docking Points
- Engines
- Subsystems
- Glow Points

It'll also preserve the model hierarchy from MAX on the POF subobject hierarchy. It's still somewhat buggy, hence the beta status, but it worked with all well-formed models I tried. Some notes:

- Don't try to convert objects without UVW data (except for the shields)
- All mesh materials must have a bitmap type texture on the Diffuse slot
- The shield object shouldn't have a material (found problems with that once or twice, do this just to make sure)

The readme.txt file included with the ZIP contains instructions on how to set up your MAX scene, and a sample scene with a very simple model. I just ask that, if you try it and find a problem, report it so I can get it fixed. Alongside the POF file the exporter will generate a few log files ("pofexp.log","pofexp_debug.log" and "pofexp_mesh.log"), if you could send me these files when you report a bug it would be helpful. Also, if you can tell me specifically what went wrong, I could get it fixed a lot faster.

Anyway, here's the file - it contains the plugin for MAX 4, 5 and 6, a readme, and a sample file (with a texture):

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sticks/pofexp.zip

More functionality will be added soon, including support for subsystems and SCP specific POF data.

EDIT: Yes, that file is the last version, I'll keep it updated here on the first post. :)

[color=66ff00]For all of you wondering if you'll be able to use this plugin with Gmax I have a bit of disappointing news: It seems that Discreet charges $1200 a year for use of the Gmax SDK and it would seem that the plugins are written in a different way to stop game devs. from using a max SDK to write Gmax plugins.

The only cross platform plugins are those that are written in plain text that max and Gmax's 'console' use. Now you know why Gmax doesn't have as big a following as it could have. :blah:
//Maeglamor
[/color]

I have Gmax..how do i export the models into pofs???

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You'll more than likely need to export to a format that can be read by another program, like lithunwrap, or something similar, and then convert it to pof through truespace.

For the time being atleast.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline revomode

• Banned
thanks.

does it work wit gmax??

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Aquatayne
does it work wit gmax??

Not AFAIK; I believe GMax uses a different plugin code format which you need a paid license for.  I think this should be mentioned somewhere deep within the bowels of this thread.....

No. You have to pay a lot of money for the SDK to develop plugins for G-Max which is somehow written different than the 3D Max plugins.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
It does say so in the first post...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Update: missile turret generation does not work.  They get generated as subobjects but all turret info is lost.  Not much difference here AFAIK in terms of how the game handles them, so not the end of the world.

Also:

• path names MUST begin with a $ or they don't work in game.  The data's still there, the name just goes funny.
  • glowpoints should default to type 0, normal=(0,0,0) rather than type 1, normal=position
  • You can't attach a path to a subsystem, despite this being a legal combination

I'll keep updating this under the assumption that it'll get worked on again someday.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 06:12:59 pm by 570 »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Originally posted by StratComm
Not much difference here AFAIK in terms of how the game handles them, so not the end of the world.

absolutely no diference, they get loaded by the same code, literaly
code snip
Code: [Select]

break;

case ID_TGUN:
case ID_TMIS: {
int n_banks, n_slots, parent;
model_subsystem *subsystemp;

if the gun turret code is working just use that, because as you can see the game doesn't care wich one you use.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

i tried to use the exporter, but when i tried to export there wasnt a file at all after exporting. did anyone have this problem before?

are there any special things to consider when exporting the geometry? for example, i just tried to export a simple object.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Base-level geometry needs to be named properly to show up.  My guess is your "ship" consisted of an object named something like "cube01"; to get it to convert it needs to be named specifically like the sample file has it.  I.e. the primary hull would be "detail-0".

thx! thats it, now i see the geometry.
thank you very very much!!

There wouldn´t happen to be a tutorial available on using this plugin? While I could gather some info by looking at the sample scene, I feel a bit lost...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
No, I'm afraid there really isn't.  If you have questions, ask, someone should at least have an idea as to what to do.