Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 282778 times)

Offline Roanoke

POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
I really need to learn to do Max heirachy before I try and convert anythin' other than basic meshs:doubt:

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Read the readme file it tells you most of what you need.

And I didn't know how to use Max heirachy either until I needed to use this plugin. :p

It's basically managed via the 'select by names' with 'show heirachy' ticked. Then to modify any heirachy its just a matter of using the attach and detach //Select and link, actually. ;) buttons on the toolbar. :)

Easy when you know how I guess. ;)

//Fix'd ;)

//Meh. Same dif. :p
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 09:28:45 am by 501 »

Need some assistance,

I got a model ingame, textures work, glowpoints work, physics work, however its screwing up the collisions.

Model looks complete ingame, as I fire at the surface the lasers go right through the surface im shooting at, however, gun impacts appear on the opposite side. I am also about to fly 'inside' the model, and get collisions when i try to fly out.

Ive tried different normal states but its a no go.

Any suggestions?
--------------------------

Sig

If asking really is generally accepted, I might take a shot :)
After exporting, I can´t see my model in FRED, and Modelview won´t show texture mode. So I guess the textures are the problem ;)
The question is, in what format should the textures be in max, and later in the maps folder to show up as they should?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Format does not matter in max. Modelview will always look for the image to be in pcx form. And I am unsure of FRED's image format capacities.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Devils_Hitman
Need some assistance,

I got a model ingame, textures work, glowpoints work, physics work, however its screwing up the collisions.

Model looks complete ingame, as I fire at the surface the lasers go right through the surface im shooting at, however, gun impacts appear on the opposite side. I am also about to fly 'inside' the model, and get collisions when i try to fly out.

Ive tried different normal states but its a no go.

Any suggestions?

I really hope this means your shivan ships are coming to a FS install near us ;).

There's one unwritten rule about using this converter: you HAVE to reset the transform (X-form) on all geometry bits before you convert.  My guess is that you mirrored your model at some point in time, so all of the normals are "backwards" when exported.  It's better to do this before you set up the heirarchy.  It's in the utilities tab in Max, but PM me if you want a more detailed explanation.

Originally posted by General Kazooie
If asking really is generally accepted, I might take a shot :)
After exporting, I can´t see my model in FRED, and Modelview won´t show texture mode. So I guess the textures are the problem ;)
The question is, in what format should the textures be in max, and later in the maps folder to show up as they should?

Raa's right, in Max it doesn't matter.  FRED will use any format that FS2 will use, provided you activate them (FRED has a -jpgtga command line flag too, IIRC), and Modelview will only open pcx files.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

ok, thanks alot :) Stupid of me not to think about activating jpg in FRED...

Originally posted by StratComm

I really hope this means your shivan ships are coming to a FS install near us ;).

;7
--------------------------

Sig

first thx for the collision thing, i had the same problem, but now it works fine.

but i have another problem with turrets. i did it like the sample file, names and hierachy is ok, but somehow the positions of the shooting points and barrels are messed up. they are way in front of the base or way behind and a bit up or down the base. are there any special things to consider when setting these up?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Believe it or not, that's a symptom of the same problem.  Unlink everything in the scene, select all, go to the utilities tab, and reset X-form on everything.  You may also need to collapse the stacks on things (collapse tab -> select collapse to modifier stack result -> Collapse) to get them to convert correctly.  Re-link the scene and all collision errors and misplaced turrets should be fixed.

The problem is that besides wierd transforms on the object itself, which may break collisions, all subobjects are set to offset from their parent rather than to the world, while the converter writes those positions out as world coordinates.  If you move or scale that parent while it has things linked to it, then everything gets out of whack.  I generally link and unlink a scene 3-4 times for a conversion just because of errors like that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 10:00:47 am by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

ok, will try that, thanks in advance!!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Would it be too much to ask for someone who is experienced using this thing to contact Maverick personally and help him out with this? He has put together some fantastic new ships for The Babylon Project and we are unable to get them into the game.

As for the turret thing if someone can tell Maverick how to get the turrets into a pof as submodels in the correct position that will do. They don't even have to be named as turrets or set up with fire points. Those changes can be made easily using a pof editor.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

ok, now a question about LOD´s. Do I have to create helpers($engine) for each LOD? Or should I link each LOD to the same helper..?

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
You should only need one helper concerning the subsystems.

You shouldn't have to link all the lods to the helper either. IIRC you just link each lod to its parent aka LOD0.

IPAndrews: Try what Stratcomm said above, unlink everything so there is no heirarchy, then reset X-Form everything before relinking everything and exporting.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Do Not Link LODs to Anything.

LODs are just there.

Turets, helpers, physical subsystems get linked to LODs.

Debris, individual LODs remain unlinked.

Okay, I didn´t have the other LOD´s linked to LOD0. Appreciate the help, guys.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Do Not Link them TO LOD0!  LODs are left unlinked.

THe only things that get linked to LODs are the things that are supposed to be on them, ie, submodels, turrets, radar, etc.

*kicks grug for misleading people*

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
LoL. Listen to Raa he'd be more experienced in this area.

Just check the example file to test how it all works. :)

Thanks again :) At least I didn´t have time to get to work on the model  before I checked the forums again ;)

But I still have a major problem... I tried to find out the problem by exporting every time a bit more, starting with just detail-0 and then adding things every time I exported. I got as far as detail-1 :D
I can export just the detail-0 mesh fine, but as soon as I add another level of detail, max crashes and I´m left with a pof, in which detail-0 is non-existent.

I hope I managed to describe my problem in a comprehensible way, though I might be too frustrated to do that ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 02:39:20 pm by 2887 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Hm. sounds like it's encounterring something that is named incorrectly. Or your mesh isn't in edittable poly format.

Try selecting every object and converting them to edittable poly. Also double check the spelling. And finally, if there is a gap between names, such as detail-0, detail-2 detail-3, it will also fail. (for debris as well as LODs)