Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 282767 times)

POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
thats for sure, but if you have to relink 30 multipart turrets and several subsystems with paths thats not really an option.
anyway, i guess i will have to live with it :(

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ok, I'll be adding MOI support soon, first it may be based on vertices, but later I might discretize the model into a volumetric representation to make it better. And I'll look into a way to fix the Reset X-Form problem... I tried to look into it a bit, but not for too long.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
styxx if you know how to calculate MOI i want you to to dig your hands into the PCS2.x source and implement a MOI calculator
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Originally posted by Bobboau
I can give you some ideas on how to aproximate the moment of inertia

the best way would probly be to subdivide the model's overall bounding box into thousands of smaller boxes, then checking each box to see if it is inside the model or not, and if so adding the point effects of that reagon to the total MOI tensor. the components of the MOI tensor are

[
[y^2+z^2,      -x*y,      -x*z]
[-x*y,      x^2+z^2,      -y*z]
[-x*z,      -y*z,      x^2+y^2]
]

if you sum that up for every particle in the object I think you'll get the MOI, or the inverse of it.
here is a bit of info
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
feel free to write that bit of code for me :P

i hate physics calculations like that

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well the most dificult part would be to determine wather or not a given point is inside or outside an object, if you think you can get code that can fill this prototype

bool is_in_model(vector*point);

then the MOI function would be relitively easy.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

is there anything new? a new stable version?
this thing is getting me insane on my way to hell where i have to suffer torments of such a great value that nobody can imagine :(:(:(

i  beg every day for a new version now. this thing keeps vrashing my max on and on, i delete a simple part of geometry and the exporter crashes, i forgot to spell a letter and the exporter crashes max, i cant go on like this. this costs 20 times the time it would need with a working stable exporter, so please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please DO SOMETHING!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I_E_Maverick PCS 2.X will have .3ds support

oh man, i hope this works better. this thing is driving me crazy, everytime there is something different going wrong.
i have tested your last 2 versions of pcs and it loaded all models, good work so far!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
ty :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by I_E_Maverick
is there anything new? a new stable version?
this thing is getting me insane on my way to hell where i have to suffer torments of such a great value that nobody can imagine :(:(:(

i  beg every day for a new version now. this thing keeps vrashing my max on and on, i delete a simple part of geometry and the exporter crashes, i forgot to spell a letter and the exporter crashes max, i cant go on like this. this costs 20 times the time it would need with a working stable exporter, so please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please DO SOMETHING!

Listen, I know you're having trouble with this, but the converter is actually very stable if you are conscious about what you need to do to make it work.  I've had very few problems with it and I would hate to see Styxx stop working on it because he percieves us as ungrateful for what has been, overall, a solid and much-needed tool.  You want paths to not change when you convert them but don't want to reset X-form on all of them, DON'T USE IT TO MAKE PATHS!  There are more important but less blindingly obvious things that still need fixing (I'd like to not have to manually edit certain attributes via a hex editor, for example) that definitely need to take priority over using render coordinates rather than object coordinates to define structures.  All of your problems boil down to the reset X-form issue, which as I've said repeatedly can be avoided with a few simple steps and then re-linking everything; providing your naming conventions are sane and you've got a version of Max with a heirarchy editor, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Also, if Kazan is doing 3ds import (which will be much less efficient than Max->POF, simply because the 3ds format is very antiquated), you won't get things like paths, subsystems, etc anyway.  So it won't help you with the problems you are actually having.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 03:51:29 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

you got me wrong, i am not ungrateful, i am sure styxx knows that. i just want some exporter that works more stable, nothing i did could make the exporter work more stable or unstable. there are some problems that are not caused by reset x form.
my last for example: i had a good exporting model, debris subobjects and LODs, all worked fine. then i decided to delete a subobject of detail0 and guess what, since then the exporter crashes max everytime, i tried it 10 or more times without success and i reset x-form and relinking everything 2 times. that means it cant be under any circumstances that reset x form will work.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by I_E_Maverick
you got me wrong, i am not ungrateful, i am sure styxx knows that. i just want some exporter that works more stable, nothing i did could make the exporter work more stable or unstable. there are some problems that are not caused by reset x form.
my last for example: i had a good exporting model, debris subobjects and LODs, all worked fine. then i decided to delete a subobject of detail0 and guess what, since then the exporter crashes max everytime, i tried it 10 or more times without success and i reset x-form and relinking everything 2 times. that means it cant be under any circumstances that reset x form will work.

A post consisting of 30 "pleases" and demanding updates isn't exactly grateful though, so just be more sensitive about that when making feature requests.  And to this point, the only thing you've asked about have been reset x-form questions.

And besides, what you're posting now is a real "no duh" error.  The first rule of exporting anything from Max with this converter is to always, always, always have a "detail-0" object in the scene.  It's stated in this thread multiple times, I'm almost positive it's in the readme, and it's in the sample export file.  It will become the root of the POF LOD0, which is fundamentally necessary, and thus won't even pretend to work without it.

EDIT: I'll revise that last paragraph because I missed the detail about it being a subobject.  There are a couple of things that you still probably did wrong that triggered this thing to break.  Number one, if it was a turret, you broke the chain of turret-xx back when that was still a requirement.  Another possibility would be that you broke a heirarchy chain somewhere along the line, which, while possible, is somewhat less likely.  I've never had any sort of problems with the heirarchy causing things to crash, so I'd really guess that the problem actually lies in naming or something.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 04:53:15 pm by 570 »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I'd do .max except for the whole thing about those *******s wanting a license fee

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Agreed, the Max format has a multitude of limitations.  My comment on 3ds wasn't a dig at PCS2 in any way, as I view it as a different type of tool than the exporter is, by design and necessity.  I'm really looking forward to playing with the editing tools in PCS2.  It was I_E_Maverick's idea that PCS2 would render this plugin obsolete that I am debating.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
it could.. how well does 3ds support .lwo?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Not well AFAIK (the exporter itself is hard enough to find) and even then the support for paths, helpers, etc is minimal.  I also think that's where the loss of UV coordinates or textures or whatever comes from.  In fact, I haven't seen a format that Max CAN export to that contains more than basic (and often poorly assembled) geometry information.  Getting smoothing right, which was always the difficulty with PCS, is perhaps the hardest part as Max seems to handle its smoothgroups in a different way from practically everything else out there.

What is available, from stock Max 5, are the following formats:
3D Studio Object (.3ds)
Adobe Illustrator (.ai)
ASCII Scene Export (.ase)
Lightscape Material (.atr)
Lightscape Blocks (.blk)
Lightscape parameter (.df)
AutoCAD (.dwg & .dxf)
FiLMBOX (.fbx)
Iges (.igs)
Lightscape Layers (.lay)
Lightscape Preparation (.lp)
StereoLitho (.stl)
Lightscape View (.vw)
VRML97 (.wrl)

And that's it.  None of those even seems remotely modern either, which isn't exactly suprising since Max is up to 7 or whatever, but that's still about it.  Direct from max (in the form of an exporter) really is the superior option right now.

i use max 6 and there no new file formats neither.
only way to get something to other programs is export to 3ds and then use a third party tool to convert that to another modeling program. that is definatly one of the most annoying things about max since years and even in max 8 i didnt see this fixed so far.
but the 3ds format isnt that bad though it is old. i takes uv coordinates and the geometry is converted well imo. though i dont know how it works with paths or object properties and hierachies which would be neccessary for exporting to pof.

edit: i just forgot to officially apologize my bad post (i see it now) to Styxx. I didnt want to be inpolite or ungrateful, i hope you know that. so sorry for that post!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Eh, no worries. Fixing the Reset X-Form problem is high on the priority list, but I'm a bit out of time and it may take a while.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by StratComm
What is available, from stock Max 5, are the following formats:
3D Studio Object (.3ds)
Adobe Illustrator (.ai)
ASCII Scene Export (.ase)
Lightscape Material (.atr)
Lightscape Blocks (.blk)
Lightscape parameter (.df)
AutoCAD (.dwg & .dxf)
FiLMBOX (.fbx)
Iges (.igs)
Lightscape Layers (.lay)
Lightscape Preparation (.lp)
StereoLitho (.stl)
Lightscape View (.vw)
VRML97 (.wrl)

7 can export to .obj, though I've never used it myself.