Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 280984 times)

Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing
HAHAHAH  :D

however, you could keep smoothing values too.  Plus keep the heirachy.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
format hopping has a way of raping your models to death. making them buggy and loose somewhat important data, such as smoothing or uv. as for .3ds format, ive seen it shread more models than takashi, and thats saying something. half the time it only works for single objects, the format has countless versions, so a 3ds saved from truespace 6 wont load in max at all and 3ds files from max wont load in truespace at all. id go as far as saying its worse than cob.

actually it occurred to me that it may be the xform bug which was making my heirarchy come out wrong. so i reset the xform on everything and the problem still remains. as you can see in max and the results in modelview, and this is after applying reset xform to every object in the scene. i actually thought i had fixed it, but my hierarchy was wrong with the gatling models were siblings, rather than children to the barrels. i probibly set it up like that to test something else in the model. anyway after reconfiguring the hierarchy properly it still gave me crap. then i stripped out every option accept for turrets, still nothing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 07:21:18 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I didn't imply 3ds, because it most definetely sucks.  Especially the version that max 7 exports, it's limited to 8.3 filename WTF?! I was thinking more home-brewed, unless someone gets a MAX imported for PCS2 (as soon as I win the lottery  :lol: )
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Well, having the insignia thingy work would b cool ^^

And yeah, gotta agree on that hierarchy thingy as well
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
format hopping has a way of raping your models to death. making them buggy and loose somewhat important data, such as smoothing or uv. as for .3ds format, ive seen it shread more models than takashi, and thats saying something. half the time it only works for single objects, the format has countless versions, so a 3ds saved from truespace 6 wont load in max at all and 3ds files from max wont load in truespace at all. id go as far as saying its worse than cob.

actually it occurred to me that it may be the xform bug which was making my heirarchy come out wrong. so i reset the xform on everything and the problem still remains. as you can see in max and the results in modelview, and this is after applying reset xform to every object in the scene. i actually thought i had fixed it, but my hierarchy was wrong with the gatling models were siblings, rather than children to the barrels. i probibly set it up like that to test something else in the model. anyway after reconfiguring the hierarchy properly it still gave me crap. then i stripped out every option accept for turrets, still nothing.

X-From shouldn't have to do anything with the heirachy.

You simply can't use it on linked or grouped object. So you have to x-form is before you start linking stuff.
Also... don't link it to rotated dummies. Check the pivots.

I had a lot of problems with this too, but in the end, I had to blame myself for it. ;)

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the pivots seem to be where theyre supposed to be. actually there distance from the center of the ship is about the same as they should be from the turret center. i think whats happening is that it seems to be inherenting the parent's offset, but not its grandparents offset (the actual turret base).

i also took anything identifying them as turrets out of the model, the points and renamed the models. that didnt seem to help either. i quadruple checked all my pivots, there all dead center the way i had set them up.   just keep giving me ideas im sure something will work :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 06:23:25 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Heres another thingy that could be implemented: Viewpoints
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Just to make it clear, there's no way I'll be working on a MAX to PCS bridge. It's MAX to POF, and that's it. Load the POF in PCS and edit it there if that's what you want. ;)
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Heres another thingy that could be implemented: Viewpoints

Yepp, I think that's handy.
Maybe it might be even possible to use a camera for this.

@Styxx

I have another suggestion. I know the MOI generation is complex. Could you make the MOI setable for the user?
Maybe by adding it to the export window?

There is currently no way to change the MOI of ships that have too many polies for Modelview.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
That explains why MView crashes on me wherever I try to set the MOI for the XXXXXXX :P

In that case, what DaBrain says ^^

Raven is a god.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Yeah, I'll make it possible to set the MOI somewhere in the MAX scene, that was on the list since way back when I first started working on the exporter. :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
what about adding a bunch of max gizmos for different freespace data that are to be included in the scene (like gunbanks gunpoints with normals and stuff like that)? rather than just using dummys for everything (which gets confusing after awhile).

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
That would require a different plugin. I can look into it, but they'll be just extensions of the dummy helpers, so it wouldn't be much of a difference apart from the name anyway. This is for after everything is working again, though, so it'll be dummies for a good while still.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
one quick question:

how did voliton make their .pofs?

and a statement:

maybe you could contact them and find out.

They had a stand-alone converter. It's not worth digging up, as it was designed for FS2 Retail, and won't be as good as the PCS converter or this plugin.

Oh, and shouldn't you know how they did it? You DID work for them after all...  :rolleyes:
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i told the truth at game warden. im a total embelisher (makes things seem better). it was a job shadow. and what a fun one....wish they told me the multipliers for max velocity and max OCLK speed....

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Multiple mapping channels. I know there will have to be engine side support for this too, but once we get shaders, we could really need at least one additional mapping channel.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline ANARKIA777

• I am alone in france on FS2.....
hI,
I am 3DS max9, the plugins not works :(...

Offline Bigoudi

Uhm hi i come to ask for a old problemes about dll failed to initialize i have use pof export in max 5 with no any prob.

recently got a bad virus need format C.

after reinstaling system and max 5 i got this problemes now and dont remember me so how many thing is installed on my comp before got this error probably 3dsmax 7 vertion or 8 installed and deltree again or true space 7 really dont know but update to max 5.1 the prob is still not here.

if any know the issue for correct this really tks.

i have read 1 to 32 not found.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
man, this kinda died off sometime in april.

any progress at all?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I thought this died off way before that.  I don't think anyone's done updating on this plugin in a long time, and I think this thread only exists for support and a place to get it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays