Author Topic: What should the GTVA's strategy be?  (Read 165982 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: What should the GTVA's strategy be?
Not having all your forces lined up behind a single bottleneck (the Sol-Delta Serpentis portal) also helps in getting your fleet to the hotspot in time to do some good.

Offline Drogoth

All I was saying is that if they become aware of Byrne's up and coming project would they be justified in risking a Shivan incursion in order to go for the throat? The ships would be away for maybe 5 weeks total. I'm not saying it would be optimal, but they may find themselves between a rock and hardplace. The GTVA simply CANNOT lose the war in Sol. Or the GTVA will collapse since the motivation for the populace to stay loyal just went up in smoke
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline crizza

Really wild guesswork: They Tevs have most likely a whole fleet without a proper home system, 'cause it went straight to hell.
Maybe, just maybe, they could commit these homeless bunch of ships, when the time is right for an all out attack.

Offline Qent

I... don't really think they let a whole fleet sit idle for 18 years just because the system to which they were assigned was lost. They're tied up too.

Actually, which fleet was the Carthage from, originally?

Offline crizza

Guess it is not known which fleet the Carthage belonged to.
Furthermore, the 3rd fleet would be in rather bad shape after the incursion...right now I guess the third will linger in a system next to Capella, hell bent on revenge against the Shivans...
I would love to see the good old Aquitaine as a CE destroyer like the Carthage, maybe with additional turrets like shown in that ani from the retail campaign.
Well, I guess every single one of us has already pitted several Tev ships against that of the UEF, so, the Tevs would need several big assets to finish the UEF off, as well as loads of Ares armed to the tooth with trebs and the stuff.
And all of us know how many trebs it need to take out even one launcher of a Solaris.

Offline -Norbert-

My guess would be that, what little was left of the 3rd fleet, was used to fill some of the gaps the Shivans and NTF opened up in other fleets. Though with the massive losses, 3rd fleet alone won't be enough to completely fill up all other fleets back to what they used to be.

All I was saying is that if they become aware of Byrne's up and coming project would they be justified in risking a Shivan incursion in order to go for the throat? The ships would be away for maybe 5 weeks total. I'm not saying it would be optimal, but they may find themselves between a rock and hardplace. The GTVA simply CANNOT lose the war in Sol. Or the GTVA will collapse since the motivation for the populace to stay loyal just went up in smoke.
The problem is, if the entire fleet is gone for five weeks, they will propably have massive riots pretty much on every planet.
In my opinion, making sure the general population feels protected from the Shivans at all times is even more important than winning in Sol. If they lose the Sol system there will be major malcontent, but at least there would be plenty of people blaming the UEF for it. Maybe those people will enable the GTVA to keep it together.
If they just pull every ship into Sol, people probably won't care why they were abondened by the GTVA. In this case I doubt there is anything that can be done aginst the economic and political collapse.

But I don't think it will ever be necessary for the GTVA to get such massive reinforcements into Sol anyway. Byrne believes the UEF can't win this was with force, so I highly doubt the secret project is a superweapon or supership or anything that would scare the GTVA so badly as to abonden their vilig against the Shivans.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Actually, it is known, if you read Admiral Lopez' wiki entry.

Furthermore, the 3rd fleet would be in rather bad shape after the incursion...right now I guess the third will linger in a system next to Capella, hell bent on revenge against the Shivans...

It has been 18 years since the Capella incident. Do note that in that time, there was a major reorganization of the terran fleet structure, which turned Fleets from combat units into purely administrative ones. The largest combat formation fielded in BP is the Battlegroup, a formation centered around one or two Destroyers supported by Corvettes, Cruisers, and logistics vessels. This structure, which was copied from the Vasudan Navy, is much more flexible, and better suited for the tasks the GTVA has.

I would love to see the good old Aquitaine as a CE destroyer like the Carthage, maybe with additional turrets like shown in that ani from the retail campaign.

Not very likely, given that the ships converted to Combat Eval duty are usually older ones that are nearing the end of their useful service life.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Indeed.  Keep in mind that the Carthage is at least 20 years older than the Aquitaine.

If anything, you'd be more likely to see the Aquitaine as part of the main GTVA battlegroups ala the Hood, Requiem, and Meridian.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you do the math, the Carthage is close to fifty years old by the time of BP. She is like the GTVA's equivalent of the USS Enterprise (CVN-65, not NCC 1701).

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In short pulling their whole fleet, or even half their fleet for that matter, into Sol isn't a realistic option for the GTVA.

Simply to be effective a warship must be capable of independent operations for a couple of weeks at the least, probably closer to a month. It would be entirely possible to surge the whole fleet into the system and then have most of it leave again in a week. It simply wouldn't be wise.

On the original subject:

The GTVA has to do two things. The first is eliminate the UEF as a fighting force. The second is to deplete or capture their stocks of supplies. A successful after frame requires uncontested control of the Sol spacelanes so that problem areas can be isolated and the interdependent network of colonies forced to submit to GTVA control or be starved into submission or otherwise deprived of needed resources.

This in turn means the GTVA needs to eliminate all combat spacecraft by destruction, depleting their supplies, or capturing them. We are not looking at a Middle East situation here. Spaceships are big and hard to keep operating, and it's already been established that the UEF has designed them as short-duration high-intensity combatants.

The UEF fleet will be fought to hurt it, rather than kill it, to place further stress on the logistics system. Logistics targets will be destroyed wherever practical. Once the UEF's space forces are out of beans, bullets, and black oil, there will be a mopping up period where they are attacked directly and either destroyed or captured.

After that, with the high ground lost forever, the UEF will inevitably surrender.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

In short pulling their whole fleet, or even half their fleet for that matter, into Sol isn't a realistic option for the GTVA.

Simply to be effective a warship must be capable of independent operations for a couple of weeks at the least, probably closer to a month. It would be entirely possible to surge the whole fleet into the system and then have most of it leave again in a week. It simply wouldn't be wise.

With realistic option I didn't mean wether it's possible. I meant that the GTVA high command would never do it because it's so unwise, as you put it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:26:36 am by -Norbert- »

Offline crizza

So...then what about the Phoenicia?
When I play the retail campaign she jumps out with 3% almost every time^^

So...what is the strategy of the GTVA?
They have send Steeles rather modern battlegruop, and I think I read something about that there are currently around four ships of the Titan and Raynor class each.
The Temeraire and the Orestes are supposed to be far away from Sol and the missing two of each class are most likely centered around Capella.
The Tevs would be better of sending in diomedes class corvettes with special forces fighters and the stuff.
A large assault against Byrnes project or any other UEF facility would be a phyric victory.
So, why not sending stealthys who could do the job or a jump in a wing of Ares pumping TAG Cs...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The problem with that is that they would have to find the site where that secret project is being worked on first. Star systems are big places, hiding a few installations is pretty easy. Also, this assumes that it's based somewhere that can be reached. If it is stationed at Daedalus Base (Which is the big antimatter factory in close solar orbit), infiltrating it is very, very hard, destroying it practically impossible, and ultimately not wanted.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
And we're pretty sure the Tev have already thought about it and have sent SOC forces with stealth fighters in Sol. Remember what happened to the Elder in Deals in Shadows.

Those SOC are ready to strike whenever and wherever it is worth risking their cover to do so. Steele doesn't waste useful cards, especially when they're well hidden (remember the Imperieuse).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I have a question, is that name "Anita Lopez" volition's original? or bp's forge?
el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
With realistic option I didn't mean wether it's possible. I meant that the GTVA high command would never do it because it's so unwise, as you put it.

But it does demonstrate the GTVA's logistics problem is flexible. There's a degree of slack inherent. If at some point the GTVA has need of another battlegroup or five for short term offensive action, or to smother a developing UEF counterthrust, the forces can be committed long enough to accomplish the task and then sent back to their normal postings.

If at any point the UEF starts to win or sets up a defense available GTVA forces can't crack, then the GTVA could commit to a short-term deployment of a large portion of available fleet assets to break them. From the GTVA's point of view, there's no way out and no win condition for the UEF. They can afford to take the strangulation strategy because the ability to crush their enemies with a hammerblow is still waiting up their sleeve.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have a question, is that name "Anita Lopez" volition's original? or bp's forge?

Anita Lopez is a BP creation.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ok then, that name is horrendous guys.
For me, a Latin-Spanish speaker... it's like a joke name, not sure how that plays for any other kind of Spanish.
And sorry for derailing the subject.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Qent

Ok then, that name is horrendous guys.
For me, a Latin-Spanish speaker... it's like a joke name, not sure how that plays for any other kind of Spanish.
And sorry for derailing the subject.

Really? How?

Actually, it is known, if you read Admiral Lopez' wiki entry.

I was actually asking about its pre-Capella assignment.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:12:51 am by Qent »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
We know the Carthage was on standby in Capella when the first Rakshasa destroyed the GTC Vigilant at the GD node. It was most likely part of Capella's Third Fleet.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras