Author Topic: Average ping?  (Read 3464 times)

Greetings,

I've not before played FS2 online, but when I viewed today's game in FS2 Multiplayer, it indicated that my ping would be around 140, so I didn't join.

I was wondering roughly what ping would be considered 'normal' for Multiplayer. I assume it's not as high as 140. Also, is there anything I can do to bring my FS2 ping down? (It's fine for other online games).

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Anything under 500 is normal.

Anything under say 350 is playable.

Anything under 200 is good.

Anything under 100 is excellent.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Oh! Wow, I must just be used to other games. That allays my fears.

Thanks a lot!

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
just to say i saw a ping of 86 today , i was so shocked i didnt join  because it looked so pretty and i didnt want to spoil it ........... :D ;) :D

but saturday night games are between 120 and 200 ..... and we've been getting between 8 and ten ppl on line ,  :D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The ping depends a lot on the distance to the host. I think if you're in the eastern or central US/Canada timezones (and have a decent connection yourself), you can expect around 100ms or less on my games. It may be more like 130 or so for west coast people, and 150-250 from Europe, again depending on exactly where you are and what your connection is like.

I will probably be getting a better connection soon, which may improve pings for those of you who are further out.

The actual amount of lag you feel also depends on the mission and number of players. BOE type missions with lots of ships and weapons flying around along with the full 12 players will give a lot more lag than a 4 player gauntlet.

If activity really picks up sharply, it may make more sense to have multiple games running from different locations (that was the original idea when this weekly multiplayer concept came up), but right now we don't really have that many players to justify splitting up.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:06:53 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Sorry if this is a hijack but I'll be joining you guys in about 7 months when I'm at college in Miami. Until then, I'm stranded behind a horrible-ping connection.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Well, you could probably join even with that connection. We play mostly coops, so lag is not much of a problem anyway (unless shooting down bombs is a speciality dear to you ;) ) .
Not sure, but I guess even a 56k modem should be enough, as long as the host is in good shape.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
I didn't mention the computer it's on...

AMD K6-2 550MHz
256MB PC-100 or PC-133 RAM
ATI Rage 3D Pro 8MB
Windows XP Home Edition

See the problem?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Does it run FS2 Open at all? :nervous:

As far as the connection goes, you can still be quite effective as a bomber even on a 56k. I had a 56k during most of my time on PXO and usually took a bombing role when one was available.

Offline castor

I didn't mention the computer it's on...

AMD K6-2 550MHz
256MB PC-100 or PC-133 RAM
ATI Rage 3D Pro 8MB
Windows XP Home Edition
Oh... yea, all that combined might bring you some... problems.
At Win98 times even that would have been enough :)

Offline castor

As far as the connection goes, you can still be quite effective as a bomber even on a 56k. I had a 56k during most of my time on PXO and usually took a bombing role when one was available.
Should work, at least if it is a good line. Never used 56k myself though, as ISDN 64k is the slowest I've had. That was easily good enough for a TvT client (ok, the inherent latencies are less with ISDN, so it's not just a simple B/W comparison).

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Does it run FS2 Open at all? :nervous:

No. I have an E2140 that does, but I don't have FSO or the new MediaVPs. I have to get them so I can play.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Sort of related question.

On average how much bandwidth does each player end up using in a pvp game?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I've notice that the 3.6.10 builds seem to show a much better ping then the 3.6.9 ones did.  For instance 3.6.9 would show 80-200 for a computer sitting right next to another one.  3.6.10 shows 8.  Even going through FS2netD the numbers are much better.  Like right now I just checked my standalones from 3.6.9 and they show 220.  I just checked them from 3.6.10 and they show 51.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shade

Noticed that as well last night. And it's not just a little bit, the difference is huge - It was far easier to to hit things as a client than it used to be.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
yip once u got used to firing someewhere near the crosshair again
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."