Author Topic: Hi-poly Karnak  (Read 40906 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Oh man. I just tried out something on the model?

It's even BETTER.

But I won't tell you. Not till it's redone. :D

Spoiler:
Thank Bobboau.

Herra, I think there's something wrong with your video drivers or something. There's some bizarre stuff happening with the textures; the glowmaps don't overlap the pipes like that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:32:24 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well I did have an interesting episode with Medieval 2 Total War before taking these shots... perhaps re-installation of video drivers would be beneficial. I'll let you know if it has a positive effect. :)

EDIT: Well, re-installing the GPU drivers fixed the slowdowns (whaddayaknow) but actually it seems like it's the height map causing that overlapping (among other stuff).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:37:34 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I just tried out something on the model?

Is that a question?

Spoiler:
Thank Bobboau.

Spoiler:
THANK YOU BOBBOAU! (without even knowing what it is ;))

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
That's not a moon...

Lock S-Foils on attack position.

Stay on target...

Nice view those Zods are having here... :nervous:

EDIT: nevermind the shiny moon, it's a normal map experiment (I just fixed it with a black shinemap after taking these screenies).

By the way. I'm experiencing a really strange, huge slowdown (down to about 5-10 FPS) as soon as the "destroy blast door" phase of the mission begins. It isn't there with the old Karnak, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the new model.

:jaw:

Wow! A Karnak! How many polygons are there on it?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline starlord

do you intend to keep the red color in the reactor chamber? this makes it look like you were more in a gargant than in a vasudan vessel. :lol:

do you intend to keep the red color in the reactor chamber? this makes it look like you were more in a gargant than in a vasudan vessel. :lol:

even better.

so you just replace the model in the tables?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline blowfish

:wtf:

To use this with fsport, just put the model in freespace/fsport/data/models/ and the textures in freespace/fsport/data/maps/

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's a reactor room. You think it would be all shiny and happy?

Offline starlord

I don't know, perhaps a bright green halo. (i may be wrong, of course).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Suggestion: what about some nice Karnak extensions? You're surely able to create them. It would be nice to see this improved installation with extensions docked with it. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Believe it or not, it's already on my agenda. I plan to have a new Shah drydock extension that plugs into the trapezoidal docking bay socket. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Excellent! :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Solatar

One with dockpoints to connect them? I love the Shah/polaris pylons but they're a pain in the arse to put together.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I don't know, perhaps a bright green halo. (i may be wrong, of course).
Well, IMO, I'd say that the Vasudan mechanics are more or less the same as Terran technology, they just used a different material to cover it. I mean loads of Vasudan ships in FS1 and FS2 all have pipes and stuff in it. It's not like it's too different like Shivan technology or anything.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Fantastic work!  The new model looks brilliant!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Nice, I honestly didn't think that ten years later people would be updating this. I do need to release some planet backgrounds to replace the old ones it seems though.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Hello, what's this?

Looks like a further enhanced Karnak mesh, with a Hammer of Light reskin.

;7

I'm looking at putting the finishing touches on this tomorrow, so if anyone has any input, speak now!

Offline blowfish

Looks nice, though I'm not sure about the hieroglyphics ... the yellow looks a bit odd, but if that's just an optional reskin than I'm OK.

Oh, and an upturreted version would be nice, but if that's too much work, no worries :)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I liked the blue and un-hieroglyphed skin better, tbh.
I would've gone orange and green like TrashMan's for the HOL skins  :P

Still, it looks like much win.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
OMG the hieroglyphics are fantastic! IMO the regular Vasudan version should use them as well...

Spoiler:
THANK YOU BOBBOAU! (without even knowing what it is ;))

WTF...I know you consider yourself a n00b but that's exaggerate!!! :eek2:
The Lightblue Ribbon