Author Topic: Original Backdrops for FS Port?  (Read 2226 times)

Original Backdrops for FS Port?
I don't know what the back grounds in game are called, the part with the stars and stuff... But I want the Freespace 1 version back. The ones in the port are too different and don't have the same vibe. Is this possible without going back to the original? :blah:

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: Original Backdrops for FS Port?
With some modding and mission making know-how, it is.

Give me some time later and I could possibly do this for you real quick,

What launcher are you using? (Knossos or WXLauncher)? I'm asking so I can tell you where to put stuff.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

With some modding and mission making know-how, it is.

Give me some time later and I could possibly do this for you real quick,

What launcher are you using? (Knossos or WXLauncher)? I'm asking so I can tell you where to put stuff.

I'm using Knossos but have both. I know they'd be super low-res but I don't care, the minor graphical upgrades and 1080p are enough for me to replay the first one. I'm also just playing FS port, not the full mediaVPs one. (started full MediaVPs, didn't like the new room menu and music, made a bunch of progress in base port before realizing I can just turn that stuff off, now idk how to make my save work in the full MVPs version)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1REV-LSKpvBddnLVV9MuFmWxpb44EVoya/view?usp=sharing

unzip and put the "data" part inside the FSport mod folder, or the fsport-mediavps_2014 mod folder depending on what you want, the Details tab in Knossos should help you find the root directory where the mods are stored. (I think)

This will work so long as it's in the right place.  :arrr:
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

No luck. Do I need to point at it some how? I don't see anything that it would be replacing in the "fsport" folder in the FS2/FSO directory. Perhaps it goes in C:\Program Files (x86)\Knossos\data ?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Do you mean these style of backgrounds? The purple gradient?

I haven't looked at what DefCynodont has done, but unless they have been re-enabled by the SCP, the FS2 engine has never been able to generate those, they were lost in the transition from FS1.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

I haven't looked at what DefCynodont has done, but unless they have been re-enabled by the SCP, the FS2 engine has never been able to generate those, they were lost in the transition from FS1.

Yes those but I remember purple, white, royal, cyan, and red. One color per mission. What do you mean by generate? Isn't some kind of picture file stretched out?

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
The folder does not replace anything, (well, it does, but it replaces something in the .VP files) just add it in the FSport folder.

What I did was swap the background with the included legacy versions, not sure if that's the original FS1 background though, it could just be an older FSport thing.

It could also be that these are non-MVP version backgrounds, I did open up the MVP versions of the missions, If there is a difference between the Non-MVP FSPort mission backgrounds and the original FS1 ones, then what I did was not what you wanted.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:03:27 pm by DefCynodont119 »

The folder does not replace anything, (well, it does, but it replaces something in the .VP files) just add it in the FSport folder.

What I did was swap the background with the included legacy versions, not sure if that's the original FS1 background though, it could just be an older FSport thing.

It could also be that these are non-MVP version backgrounds, I did open up the MVP versions of the missions, If there is a difference between the Non-MVP FSPort mission backgrounds and the original FS1 ones, then what I did was not what you wanted.

Ah, I see. What I should have done was posted a picture like Black Wolf did, but in my OP. I did notice the MVPs skybox looked a lot better than base FS port. But I think the ones included in FS port are the originals from FS2, not 1. It doesn't bother me too much but I'll look for a way before I start STR. Thanks anyway, I do appreciate the effort!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Yes those but I remember purple, white, royal, cyan, and red. One color per mission. What do you mean by generate? Isn't some kind of picture file stretched out?

I don't know the precise details, but I believe they were generated by the engine, probably by defining points and projecting gradients. They definitely weren't an image you could choose and move, you just had the choice of colour and maybe three patters IIRC?

Unfortunately, that functionality is definitely gone from the engine AFAIK. All GS2 missions now either use the individual bitmaps chained together ala FS2 (though typically much prettier these days) or skyboxes, which sometimes look a little like modernised vereiona of the FS1 backgrounds (e.g. here). But if what you want is that retro feel from old school graphics, you're going to have to go back to retail FS1 unfortunately.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

I don't know the precise details, but I believe they were generated by the engine, probably by defining points and projecting gradients. They definitely weren't an image you could choose and move, you just had the choice of colour and maybe three patters IIRC?

Unfortunately, that functionality is definitely gone from the engine AFAIK. All GS2 missions now either use the individual bitmaps chained together ala FS2 (though typically much prettier these days) or skyboxes, which sometimes look a little like modernised vereiona of the FS1 backgrounds (e.g. here). But if what you want is that retro feel from old school graphics, you're going to have to go back to retail FS1 unfortunately.

Yeah it's disappointing since I just started with GOG version and couldn't get past a mission due to a glitch, which FSO fixed. Also because FS1 holds a special place in my heart since I didn't play FS2 until a few years back. That screenshot you linked, since the nebula or whatever is a single color, dark and simple, looks like a remastered version of FS1. I'd much prefer it to the rainbow barf with 8-bit asteroids that I'm currently seeing. Has anyone made any skybox mods to suit FS1 better?

Also do I have to quote for you to see a notification or can I just reply to thread?

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Quoting doesn't notify anyone, just write normal messages. It's... suggested to not quote people's entire posts, especially with pictures, for the sake of having the topic nice and clean.

Also, you have mentioned that your Knossos install is inside Program Files. It is advised to not have your Knossos and FSO mod library installed in directories protected by Windows (which Program Files is), as this can cause a bunch of troubles with launching your game.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The original FS1-version is like a skybox; however even if you import the required files from FS1 to FS2 the input does nothing for FS2 (technically it stops FRED2, retail from crashing but thats it).
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I pointed to the FS2 folder when installing knossos but all it did was create a folder called Knossos to install the mods into I guess.

I think there are some skyboxes that mimic the effect but it's not identical of course.

I think there are some skyboxes that mimic the effect but it's not identical of course.

I'll do some more searching. I've never been able to find what I'm looking for with a forum search engine, the results often represent the opposite of what I searched for but it's probably my own ineptitude. Something similar but more detailed would be really nice.

Offline AV8R

I'm using Knossos but have both. I know they'd be super low-res but I don't care, the minor graphical upgrades and 1080p are enough for me to replay the first one. I'm also just playing FS port, not the full mediaVPs one. (started full MediaVPs, didn't like the new room menu and music, made a bunch of progress in base port before realizing I can just turn that stuff off, now idk how to make my save work in the full MVPs version)

Did you know the upgraded music was a remix from the original writer himself (Dan Wentz)? He remastered the music himself since he wasn't 100% happy with the original mix and gifted the community with the results.

When I first started using FSO, I too was a bit taken aback by the differences (some of them quite stark) in comparison with the original games and in some case, I would balk at the changes and revert back to the originals. But over time I began to see the merits of all of this work (some of it quite spectacular) and slowly it began to grow on me to a point where, when I play the original versions anymore, other than the nostalgia factor still being there, the experience of it all is quite laughable. Sure, what humble beginnings this grew from - but that's the point. FSO still has the same exciting story, the same gripping drama, the same intense game play - but the sights and sounds and the experience of it all is now SO much better.

Give it time, you'll get used to the improvements. It may not happen overnight, but I guarantee it will grow on you.  :nod:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:10:25 pm by AV8R »