Author Topic: Multiplayer - Now with extra plotting and backstabbing  (Read 4895 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Multiplayer - Now with extra plotting and backstabbing
http://www.freespacefaq.com/Misc-Downloads/Builds/TeamChatBuild.7z

The major new feature is the ability to send private messages to players and teams while forming or during mission briefing (or debrief for that matter).

You may now use these commands in the chat box

Code: [Select]
/f:                     Send the following message to all friendly players.
/h:                    Send the following message to all hostile players.
/callsign:           Send the message to the player with that callsign.

If you add a / and then don't give one of those commands the server will pop up a message saying that the pilot you asked for doesn't exist. I had considered only doing that if you use /<something>: but that gives you more chance of accidentally missing a colon and sending your secret plan to backstab half your team to everyone. :D
If people find it annoying I'll make it look for the colon too.

This is a build from my branch of SVN rather than trunk but I updated before building so it should have everything that is currently in SVN. Since this is from my branch that means that this feature probably won't be in 3.6.10. I'll add it soon afterwards though if people test it now. There are other features from older builds but since I've not included a FRED build you can't really use them. I built this on VC2005 so there is no voice synth/recognition.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Multiplayer - Now with extra plotting and backstabbing
Woot!

We've been wanting this for a while =)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Oh, I forgot to mention it but thanks to some code from Wanderer the standalone should work with that build too. :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Good news / Bad news:

Good news:  Ran a whole mission on a standalone in debug mode with no crash.   :yes:

Bad news:  Standalone appears to have crashed (lost connect and server no longer on list) at start of play of second mission.  Have to check tomorrow for a log since it's next door. 

It's definitely progress though.  Speed was good too.  Forgot I was a client for a few. 

Haven't tried any of the new features yet. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Great, this checks another thing off the FringeSpace list towards
making it have the same functionality as Tachyon.  :yes:  :)
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well we're in a code freeze so I can't do anything much but I'm very slowly trying to work my way down this list whenever I'm not bug fixing.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
That standalone crash was one of those vec3d things.  The server did seem to restart itself when I closed the assert window.  I shut it down to look a the log file

Ran 2 games back to back without exiting after that and it didn't crash at the same place.  Did have a weird experience with the first mission (M02b).  My weapons just quit working entirely against the Nosferatu's hull.  I could blow up turrets and subsystems but could not get the hull below 71% even with volley after volley of cycs and full power to maxim.  Jumped out and tried again but it seemed OK this time until I got the good old Mantis 1098.  I attached the log file there since it looked like it had some new info in it.  Standalone stayed up though. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Just tried my first test with the MediaVP's on.  Standalone running debug mode client running regular build.  It didn't crash.  I did get that same strange bomb problem again.  It seems to even effect the AI's weapons.  Trebs were working but not Cycs.  Not sure on guns since this time it was a Ravana and down below 10%. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I don't know if anyone else tried them yet but they were both still up today.  The MediaVP one did have some kind of problem but unfortunately I didn't notice before I restarted it so I don't have the log.  Basically it went to a really high ping and when I shut it down and restarted it it gave me a TCP/IP is selected but not installed error.  Looked for the usual cause of a locked up exe running in background but there was none.  Tried it again and it ran.  I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for it and save the logs.

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Woaah... Cool. I'll have to check how does it work on some multiplay session with my polish FreSpace-mates :D
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...