Author Topic: Hitpoint of a moon  (Read 18042 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Burj Dubai? That's the first I've heard of that. Hmm, 818 metres tall when completed.

But you would see skyscrapers from the top. An Orion may be in any orientation.

Plus it's not like you have as much sunlight reflecting off of it. It's diluted by the atmosphere twice, as opposed to once when looking at an orbiting object from the ground. On top of that, it's much more likely to blend into the background on the planet's surface.

Harbinger is 5Gigatons and takes away 3200 hitpoints, puts 1 GT at 640 hitpoints.  Work out how many Gigatons of TNT would be needed to completely vaporise your moon and you have your answer.

You mean scatter its mass. Just vaporizing it won't destroy it, gravity will still hold the vapor together. GBE of the moon is approximately 1e29j.

1 gigaton is around 4.184e18j

So around 15,226,367,110,000 hp
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Sounds like someone needs a good ol' Deathstar if they are planning on blowing up a moon...
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
1. Bore hole into moon with beam cannons
2. Insert meson bomb or a hundred
3. Explode moon
4. ??????
5. PROFIT!

And to whoever mentioned the Gurren Lagann campaign, that was my idea, which makes this thread quite relevant to my interests. :D
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
It says that the weapon is a graviton cannon. What does that do? How does it work? Cause if gravity is the main thing that holds a moon together...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
It says that the weapon is a graviton cannon. What does that do? How does it work? Cause if gravity is the main thing that holds a moon together...

It probably shoots Gravitons at stuff.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Check wikipedia on that.

And hey, I used to play OGame. With a FreeSpace Shivan OGame skin. And even wanted to make an OGame mod for FS, until I realised I can't get my models in-game. So I decided to use Inferno ships instead. Until I realised I can't FRED.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
that's what i'm thinking of doing, but a couple of things to realise yet

but the ships do look like they'd fit well in freespace

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:00:12 am by Killer Whale »

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I've thought about that, too! :D

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
First: Find out functionality as fighting craft.
Second: Model Them
Third: Texture Them
Fourth: Table Them
Fifth: FRED Them
Sixth: Show em' off.

This topic is for number one, but does anyone have truespace? (i've got 7.6 but it isn't compat. with cobs and doesn't have trueview)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I might do modeling and tabling, and possibly even FREDding, but not texturing.

Any chance to make this go serious?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Wouldn't we have to make sure we can use those ship designs?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Post on the forums then, I guess?

If we would use the EpicBlue skin's ships, then it's allright, since those are from other sci-fis...

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
It is perhaps possible to destroy a moon-sized mass with multiple nuclear warheads embedded at the proper depth.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Considering how weak gravity is, a graviton cannon would be pretty crappy compared to a laser, mass driver, or bomb.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Kie99

It is perhaps possible to destroy a moon-sized mass with multiple nuclear warheads embedded at the proper depth.

You'd need an ungodly amount of Warheads, or an incredibly powerful set of warheads to do that.  The Earth would be absolutely battered by Debris as well.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Well, since this has drifted off-topic enough that the discussion is about how to destroy the Moon, I shall link to this and summarize below. Techniques are listed in order of plausibility.
Note that the link actually discusses destroying the Earth, but the same techniques apply. Recommended reading for all would-be evil overlords.

• 1. Annihilated by an equivalent quantity of antimatter
Create an entire moon made from antimatter and collide it with the real Moon. Alternately, depending on the technology you're using, flip half the Moon's mass to antimatter.

• 2. Fissioned
Take every single atom on the Moon and individually split each one down to become hydrogen and helium.

• 3. Sucked into a microscopic black hole
Simply place your black hole on the surface of the Moon and wait, while it sits and consumes matter until the whole Moon is gone.

• 4. Cooked in a solar oven
Focus an enormous array of mirrors to concentrate as much solar energy as you can directly on the Moon. This will cause the Moon to increase in temperature until it completely boils away, becoming a gas cloud.

A variation on this method involves turning the Sun into a gigantic hydrogen gas laser.

• 5. Overspun
Accelerate the Moon's rotation until it starts moving fast enough to overcome gravity and flies apart.

• 6. Blown up
Detonate a bomb so big that it blasts the Moon to pieces. You will need about 300,000,000,000 tonnes of antimatter.

• 7. Sucked into a giant black hole
Find a black hole and bring it and the Moon together (preferably by moving the Moon, otherwise Earth might get destroyed too.) Alternately, a neutron star might do the job.

• 8. Meticulously and systematically deconstructed
Dig up the Moon, a big chunk at a time, and boost the whole lot of it into orbit with mass drivers.

• 9. Pulverized by impact with blunt instrument
Find a really, really big asteroid, accelerate it up to some dazzling speed, and smash it into the Moon. Whatever you find would have to be almost as big as the Moon itself.

• 10. Hurled into the Sun
Similar technique to no. 7 but more convenient. If you're not bothered about Earth, you could just smash it into there instead.[/list]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Vibrate the at a specific frequency so that it enters sub-space and enters some other spot, say; the core of the sun.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Hit points of a moon?

Well, it depends on the size of the moon... I mean a moon the size of a tennis ball would only have hp in low double figures.

but using the sizes that imediatly come to mind when i think a moon id have say a few billion to a few trillion hp ---> In long scale.

Long scale Billion = a million million.

Long scale Trillion = a million million million

So x1012 up to x1018

Basically higher than the mind can comfortably conceive
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Send a speaker with a rocket engine attached to it... playing the worst memes of the internet toward a moon...
Rickroll... over 9000... Picard's Enterprise song...

It'll kill itself out of self preservation.

...and yes that does make sense.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod