Author Topic: [Committed] Auto Spread Shields  (Read 6847 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: [Committed] Auto Spread Shields
I missed this the first time around.  This is pretty cool. :)

Ooh.  I don't suppose there's a way to do some auto-topology magic so that shield impacts could be projected?

Actually I don't think it would be terribly hard to do by just playing the impact animation on a flat quad, positioned on the point of impact and oriented along the hull. Simulating fancier geometry than that would be much harder.

That sounds like the best approach.  I took a look at the shield hit display code back when surface-shields were added, and it is utterly inscrutable.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
At first I thought this just automatically pressed "Q" all the time, but now that I see it... It's infinitely better than surface shields :)
That's what I thought too. And even now I don't immediately see what's the advantage over old surface shields. Perhaps I'm just missing something really obvious here, wouldn't be the first time.

I missed this the first time around.  This is pretty cool. :)

Ooh.  I don't suppose there's a way to do some auto-topology magic so that shield impacts could be projected?

Actually I don't think it would be terribly hard to do by just playing the impact animation on a flat quad, positioned on the point of impact and oriented along the hull. Simulating fancier geometry than that would be much harder.

That sounds like the best approach.  I took a look at the shield hit display code back when surface-shields were added, and it is utterly inscrutable.
Each weapon already has $Impact explosion and $Impact radius defined in weapons.tbl or tbm, why not just use those for shield hit but replace $Impact explosion with $Shield impact from ships.tbl or tbm? That way shield impact could vary from ship to ship but impact radius is same as it would be when weapon hits hull.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's what I thought too. And even now I don't immediately see what's the advantage over old surface shields. Perhaps I'm just missing something really obvious here, wouldn't be the first time.

It allows you to have traditional "shield bubble" behaviour without having to define a shield model. Given the issues we've had with bad shield models (holes etc), and the difficulties inherent in testing them, this is a definitive improvement.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Alrighty, I can see that. Now it just needs this impact effect problem figured out and it's golden.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Each weapon already has $Impact explosion and $Impact radius defined in weapons.tbl or tbm, why not just use those for shield hit but replace $Impact explosion with $Shield impact from ships.tbl or tbm? That way shield impact could vary from ship to ship but impact radius is same as it would be when weapon hits hull.

It's not the graphics that are the problem, it's the displaying of them.  The shield code draws shield effect animations on the shield mesh using an array of triangles.  The particular shield effects to flash on or off are indicated by flagging a collection of triangles in the array corresponding to the location of the shield hit.  The array is heavily tied into the POF model code, and doesn't lend itself well to either inspection or expansion.  It would probably take less coding effort to code up a new routine than to modify the existing one.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
There's a discussion on whether the shielding code can be improved. It is located here
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Don't bump old threads to discuss new ones!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]