Author Topic: Battlefield 2142 Players Heads Up (BF2142 + Spyware)  (Read 9788 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Battlefield 2142 Players Heads Up (BF2142 + Spyware)
It's still spam, just disguised as a sheep. I don't want to buy DVD's that have commerical interruptions, even if their up-to-date.  Besides a $50 mod shouldn't have ads in them.. unless EA thinks it's really worth $80  ::)

If they did, they'd be charging $100 for it.........

EDIt; oh, and don't forget you need to uninstall a windows security update to run it, too.  I love PC gaming................
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:22:07 am by aldo_14 »

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Personally, I never use windows security updates in the first place. I dont even use SP2. Just use FireFox, browse with sense, be careful on LimeWire, and youll be fine, and yes, my computer is completley and totally free of spyware adware and viruses.

This ad-placement thing is total bullshot. What annoys me most is it delivers dynamic advertising. Now i dont care if they know my IP or not, but leeching my heavily paid for internet connection and my system resources is a nono. I will make a point of pirating and not buying EA games in the future, since, of course, BF2142 IS an awesome game.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Unless EA starts validating data files, which could screwup the hacked files.
Isn't that what PunkBuster does for online play?

Yeah, it validates files using MD5 checksums.

Personally, I never use windows security updates in the first place. I dont even use SP2. Just use FireFox, browse with sense, be careful on LimeWire, and youll be fine, and yes, my computer is completley and totally free of spyware adware and viruses.

What sort of virus protection do you have?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Unless EA starts validating data files, which could screwup the hacked files.
Isn't that what PunkBuster does for online play?

Yeah, it validates files using MD5 checksums.

What sort of virus protection do you have?

Ad Aware for adware/spyware and AVG AntiVirus for viruses, although they never detect anything cuz I dont get stuff in the first place lol.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Well I've gotten a virus warning alert from a banner ad from photobucket.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yup, .jpgs can carry an exploit, due to the way Windows reads them. I remember an article about it some time ago.

Mine was a WIN32.IMG-WMF.u exploit..

It's sad when JPGs can even carry viruses  :ick:

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
M$ released a patch to fix the .jpg sploit.  I assume it works... :rolleyes:
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Regarding the whole issue, let's ignore whether or not the software in question is "spyware" for a moment.  Has anyone actually seen screenshots of these ads in-game?  I have, and they look utterly  obnoxious and annoying. We're talking 30-foot-tall Coca-Cola ads in what appears to be a bombed-out post-apocalyptic future.  Just asinine.   Now,  I had no plans to buy this game in the first place, but seeing screenshots like that would just about quash any desire I would have had.

I've heard people mention the fact that ads are everywhere in real life, and that we should have no trouble "ignoring" them.  But isn't the whole point of playing games to get away from "real life" in the first place?  What's the point of escapism if you're presented by billboards everywhere you look?  I already do as much as is physically possible to avoid looking at ads in my daily life; I'll never sit through a whole commerical block without muting it/flipping away during it, I use the Adblock extension liberally, and hell, I've even ripped mattress ads out of the Sunday paper's comic section. The only way I'd subject myself to ads in games is if they were actually in a context where reality would be represented, such as the little banners around a sports arena.  (Can you even picture a NASCAR game without advertising? :p) Other than that, EA can keep its crap to itself, and I'll gladly go on ignoring their products.

The only ad i really look forward are the black friday ones  :D

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Don't IGNORE their products, PIRATE them! :arrr:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I must admit, I did laugh at one of the guys on the BF Forums trying to claim that EA had to pay to support the game and write patches etc....

I wonder if they actually stopped and thought about that for one minute. We have to pay for them to release patches that fix problems with their software that we have already paid for.....:wtf:

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Quote from: Mongoose
Has anyone actually seen screenshots of these ads in-game?  I have, and they look utterly  obnoxious and annoying. We're talking 30-foot-tall Coca-Cola ads in what appears to be a bombed-out post-apocalyptic future.  Just asinine. 
That would be kinda difficult considering that the ads have not yet been turned on. :p
What you saw was most likely photoshoped - it's been done numerous times on the planet battlefield forums, some jobs better than others, some being jokes and some being flamebait.

I just can't believe how much moaning is going on over the ads though - splinter cell chaos theory had them, but they are integrated so well that you just don't care about them. I asked two friends of mine what they thought of them, and they just went "...there were ads in it?" Didn't harm the game in the slightest.
Now, I don't really like EA for many reasons, but ingame ads in 2142 is not one of those reasons. It's just a great game with what has to be one of the whiniest overall communities on the net. :p

Quote from: KappaWing
This ad-placement thing is total bullshot. What annoys me most is it delivers dynamic advertising. Now i dont care if they know my IP or not, but leeching my heavily paid for internet connection and my system resources is a nono. I will make a point of pirating and not buying EA games in the future, since, of course, BF2142 IS an awesome game.
Errm, somehow I think that just connecting to a server and playing a round is going to use up more bandwidth than a couple of images and an IP address in transit would. Heck, just loading this forum page probably uses up more, no?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I think the ads in SCCT were simply for other EA games, such as Prince of Persia, located in the movies and games section of the movie theatre/mall map or some such thing. That is, if I'm remembering correctly...

And I don't know why you'd want to pirate BF2142 since you wouldn't have a key to play it online. Bots are great and all.. but meh. Maybe if I lived at a LAN party..
I am a revolutionary.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I suddenly remember the days when I had to make do with a 33.6k connection.

How I managed to play TFC in a Pentium 1 in a server on the other side of the globe while having less than 100 ping is is beyond me.

:sigh:

I'm not into online gaming. Dang features that (I think) they're making compulsory in NFSC... I don't need the world to know my stats (or spy on my cars :nervous:) when it's obvious that there's someone waaay better out there... and then there's still the ads, the ads, and the ads. And now I start seeing the phrase 'video ads'? Bangwal. Bandwidth... hard-disk... :shaking:

Still contemplating if I should pay legal money for NFSC (that Koenigsegg is tempting), or boycott it...

Me lacking any reasonably new/properly-coded/arcadey racing game for home play, but then again NFSC is just a repolished MW. Which is bound to grow old really fast. IMO the advantage of owning a crappy comp that lags even on the lowest graphics settings: it's much easier to see that it's just a polish and not a 'very new' game.

(I know this is a BF2142 thread, but still...)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That would be kinda difficult considering that the ads have not yet been turned on. :p
What you saw was most likely photoshoped - it's been done numerous times on the planet battlefield forums, some jobs better than others, some being jokes and some being flamebait.
Damn Photoshoppers, making me look stupid.  I don't need any help with that, thank you very much! :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think the ads in SCCT were simply for other EA games, such as Prince of Persia, located in the movies and games section of the movie theatre/mall map or some such thing. That is, if I'm remembering correctly...

SCCT was actually published by Ubi, not EA. I never saw any ads in it (at least in the singleplayer mode) despite playing through it twice, although I think that was simply because my firewall was blocking out their ad server. :D