Author Topic: It's the Wii's turn...  (Read 5746 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
It's the Wii's turn...
For first gen hardware issues.

"OMG, I was so happy with my Wii, then the weirdest thing happened.

It stopped detecting the up movement, not like the move up, but like the way u need to hold it up in bowling and baseball. So weird, everything else works, all buttons, navigating through the menus... everything but when I hold it like it needs to be held in baseball and bowling!

WTF WTF WTF

If its broken, what should I do?

PS. I have taken out the batteries, restarted the system, everything

Another thing... I have another wiimote, and its working fine"

"My wiimote just sporatically goes in and out, and the finger is facing the wrong way, and moving it left doesn't make it go left, and there's a bunch of problems!! AAHHH!!! I didn't feel like buying another one, but hopefully Nintendo will replace it, though in the mean time I'll buy one to make sure that's the problem. Anyone else having this problem?"

"I cant even update mine, it says it connects fine and then all of a sudden when the update starts i get error code #32004 and tells me to visit support.nintendo.com to find out what the support code means but guess what? support.nintendo.com comes up with a 404 error."

"So last night I, like many others here, spent my night freezing my buns off for over 12 hours being the 2nd in line for the Wii at Target. Finally after much time standing in line, with a crackhead behind me who would not shut up, we get our tickets. I come back, eagerly grab my Wii and head out th door. When I finally arrive home I plug in my new system to my television. When I power up the system I see a message that says "Please insert the Wii start up disk. This will set up your Wii console." So I look for a "start up disk" and could not find any. After searching the box, and the internet, with no mention of one anywhere, I decide to call Nintendo of America. When I finally get through a half hour later, I explained the situation and the rep had to take down my info, where her computer froze and she mentioned a comment about Windows XP. Anyways when it was all set and done, she looked up the problem. She told me I would have to be sent a new Wii and then send back the console in the box. However it would take 3-5 business days to ship from tomorrow (Monday), and scince Thursday is Thanksgiving, UPS is closed so I might have to consider another week or so after that. "

A salute to those brave souls who buy first generation hardware, and sacrifice for those who come after.

A compilation:

Xbox 360:
1. Overheating.
2. Disc Scratching when console is moved with a disc inside.
3. 3 red lights of doom.

PS3:
1. Overheating.
2. Beeping red light of doom.
3. Disc eating.
4. Bluetooth controller lagging/losing signal.

Wii:
1. Broken network updates.
2. Disfunctional wiimotes.
3. Asking for non-existant startup disks.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:57:27 pm by Deepblue »

Offline Inquisitor

Re: It's the Wii's turn...
Those sound trivial by comparison :)
No signature.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Wiimotes dying is no trivial thing when they ARE the system.

Though they are less expensive to replace... :p

Offline Inquisitor

"By comparison" caveat then, isn't it :)
No signature.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Components can be replaced.  Software updates can be fixed.  At least the console itself has been much more stable than both 360 and PS3.  Everything will have potential problems, and at least Nintendo is willing to help you with your problem, but it still looks like the Wii is going to be the least troublesome console. 

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Components can be replaced.  Software updates can be fixed.  At least the console itself has been much more stable than both 360 and PS3.  Everything will have potential problems, and at least Nintendo is willing to help you with your problem, but it still looks like the Wii is going to be the least troublesome console. 

Well, it's stable enough.. Unless it asks you for a non-existant startup disk. Microsoft is allso fairly cooperative with solving issues.

I'm just surprised that Nintendo is having any issues on what is arguably ancient hardware.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
What you define as "ancient" hardware != easy to use. Again, give the whole 'it's not as powerful as the 360/PS3' thing a rest, we know!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's not ancient hardware until my screen only renders in shades of green.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
It's not ancient hardware, it is new and efficient hardware.  If it was simply ancient, it would be very large and very hot.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
You're surprised Nintendo is having issues with a new product, just like the 360 did last year, and the PS3 is having right now?  Doesn't matter how dated the hardware is, if it hasn't been put out in the public, where the REAL testing happens, you'll never know how many problems you really will have.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Exactly. Given the complexity of consoles these days, glitches upon release should be expected. Consumers shouldn't judge the company by the presence of glitches, but the quality of tech-assistance rendered to those who experience these errors, which i've been hearing has been exemplary across the board thus far, especially from MS.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:43:27 am by Mefustae »

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I'm surprised Nintendo is having issues because normally they're hardware is damn solid.

Well, someone could have told Nintendo this was bound to happen.

Wiisports + Cheap Strap = :(

I'd be really pissed if that was my TV.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Umm... what exactly happened in those pics above?

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Energetic wiimote swinging like you see in the commercials. Breaking strap. High-speed projectile. Broken TV.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
They seriously have to swing it by the strap that hard? :wtf:

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
last time i played on a console was 8 bit something something

never used a console since and im proud of it :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Inquisitor

People with TV's that large should know better than to twirl anything in front of it.

Gee, I wonder if alcohol was involved :)

From what I understand, no, you don't have to "swing it that hard" its got a sensitivity setting, there was a penny arcade that mentioned it.

That guy was just a moron, I'd hardly blame that on Nintendo.
No signature.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That guy's expression is hilarious. :lol:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
For first gen hardware issues.

"OMG, I was so happy with my Wii, then the weirdest thing happened.

It stopped detecting the up movement, not like the move up, but like the way u need to hold it up in bowling and baseball. So weird, everything else works, all buttons, navigating through the menus... everything but when I hold it like it needs to be held in baseball and bowling!

WTF WTF WTF

If its broken, what should I do?

PS. I have taken out the batteries, restarted the system, everything

Another thing... I have another wiimote, and its working fine"

"My wiimote just sporatically goes in and out, and the finger is facing the wrong way, and moving it left doesn't make it go left, and there's a bunch of problems!! AAHHH!!! I didn't feel like buying another one, but hopefully Nintendo will replace it, though in the mean time I'll buy one to make sure that's the problem. Anyone else having this problem?"

"I cant even update mine, it says it connects fine and then all of a sudden when the update starts i get error code #32004 and tells me to visit support.nintendo.com to find out what the support code means but guess what? support.nintendo.com comes up with a 404 error."

"So last night I, like many others here, spent my night freezing my buns off for over 12 hours being the 2nd in line for the Wii at Target. Finally after much time standing in line, with a crackhead behind me who would not shut up, we get our tickets. I come back, eagerly grab my Wii and head out th door. When I finally arrive home I plug in my new system to my television. When I power up the system I see a message that says "Please insert the Wii start up disk. This will set up your Wii console." So I look for a "start up disk" and could not find any. After searching the box, and the internet, with no mention of one anywhere,

No mention of a startup disk?  It's been very well publicised there's one supposed to be packed in the box for quite a while, both in the
internet
and print media.

Not sure about the rest, but I'd be as hasty to cite the update as a major error; we've seen similar things on a very low proportion of 360s and no-doubt will see the same on OS3.  In fact, has anyone compiled a list of how frequent the errors listed are?  I've got a Wii pre-ordered (largely down to a 10% off code :D), and I don't have any worries about it; neither would I have any worries about buying any console, new, 2nd+ gen, or ancient.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Describing the Wii as using old technology is like saying a Pentium 4 is 'just a lot of transistors'. It's true for a given value of True ;)