Author Topic: Effects for the MV_(adv)effect VP- The vote  (Read 53573 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: Effects for the MV_(adv)effect VP- The vote
are those alpha blended?

you could get much deeper reds with alpha blending, as it is now, its a little pinkish.
there's also a dim white area on the outer edge of the beam, and it kinda detracts from the effect
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
True alpha blending doesn't work with beams... Well, not very well, to say the least. These ones have a black background and FS_Open uses the black as pseudo-alpha channel. I can post screenies of alpha-blended beams (which I did try first) if you wish to check it out, but you'll risk severe retinal hemorrhage if you look at them too long.

I'm working on the whitish stuff to reduce it. Also, in the green beams the core is way too thick and bright, the edges lose most of their detail... But as I said, I'm working on it.

And what comes to colour tone, I tried to make the beams consistent with the tones on the beamglow animations.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Turambar

well, can i see the awful horrible blended ones?

im probably gonna give it a shot myself eventually, and i want to see what it looks like.

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well, here is one example what happens. :rolleyes:

[attachment deleted by admin]
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Turambar

eew

someone get a coder on this, stat!

well, it looks like the transparency actually works right, but the colors and brightness are off.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I think Taylor already knows about that because he gave me a lot of advice when I started making these beams. Anyway, I have some questions regarding two Beam Section values. +Tile Factor and +Translation.

I'd like to know on what these two Beam Section entries actually do. The wiki entries are somewhat lacking when it comes to documenting at least these two:

+Tile Factor:
Implemented before FS_Open 3.6.5
Defines the beam texture tileing factor. Second number defines the tileing type. Type 0 tiles the graphic in the beam as many times as defined by the 1st number. Type 1 uses the 1st value as the lenght of the tile.
Syntax: Value, Value

Okay. While trying to figure out suitable table values for my beams I have become slightly frustrated in this documentation, because it doesn't actually offer any information. The second value is either one or two, and it defines how the first value should be interpreted. And if the second value is "1", the first value should define the length of the beam texture.

The problem is this: The length of the texture is definitely not as many metres as I put into the field. It's much, much more... Most beams are about ~50 metres wide. That kind of beam looks (usually) rather good with Tiling Factor values from about 15 to 30. It doesn't make any sense at all. So it doesn't use metres as units, that's for sure. But using aspect ratio doesn't feel like working either.

What I would like is that someone who knows what the code does with these values would check and update the wiki as to what units does the beam system use as "texture length", or does it perhaps even take a fixed aspect ratio multiplier (?) or something instead of actual length...

What I would like is that all same-coloured beams would have the same aspect-ratio in-game. But I cannot achieve this because thetable entry documentation is what it is and to be honest, I'm done with trial and error. If I don't know what to expect I can never get suitable values for all the beams, and I can't really go and read the code to find out what the hell it's supposed to do so... :sigh:

Another one:

+Translation:
Implemented before FS_Open 3.6.5
Defines the speed of translation of the beam, a positive value moves from the impact point to the firing point, while a negative value moves away from the firing point towards the impact point.
Syntax: Value

Value? Value? What value? How big should the value be? Metres per second? Or should the values be positive/negative integers?

Metres per second didn't seem to work that well. I tried to make them go forward two times their width per second, and they became a fuzzy line, which makes me think that the speed was tad bit too high... But any other units just don't make any practical sense, so I'd like to know what units does it use.

Don't get me wrong now, the wiki is excellent tool, but it's just plain irritating to try and interpret some ultimately ambiguous definitions for some table values.

So, thanks if someone takes the time to find answers to these questions. :)

Offline Turambar

look out Herra

your next post is 1000

make it a good one!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Hey, thanks wor warning, I'll make it good.

...Oh bugger. :lol:

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Best thousandth post ever...
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
There's nothing special in numbers. :)

By the way, if someone is interested in slightly less hideous Bakha... :)

With 1024x1024 texture, glow- and shinemaps. It's simply made on top of the old texture because I haven't figured out how to do UV mapping, so some parts may be a little screwed up but in my opinion it's better than the hideously low-res retail map, so it'll do for me until someone decides to to a proper HTL Bakha. If someone else wants to use this until that, it's fine by me, just tell me if anyone wants this, and I'll post it.

And, I hope I'll have some answers on the mysterious beam table entries sooner or later... ;7

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Those Shivan beams are much better than the current ones. :yes:
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Kudos to whoever it was (taylor, I think) who made lighting apply to decals. They look much better now. :yes:
-C

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That Bakha map is almost infinitely better than the current low-res monstrosity.  Kudos. :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Bakha maps, enjoy. :)

If someone really wants the TGA files, be my guest and PM me. This one was surprisingly easy to pull off. You gotta love what kind of a surface you can get in Gimp with noise->gaussian blur with value 2... It creates nice amount of detail and structure to completely blurred surface. The hull plating was almost all that I had to do to it after all. Glows turned out rather nice, and speculars were (imo) spot-on at first try, although some may dislike the metallic look on the plates. But I figured that they probably are metal, as they look like exposed armour plating.

But, the beam table trouble is still there. Is still don't know for sure what the tile factor value does and that causes inconsistensies in the beams, which is something I do not want to happen. So, no properly configured beams after someone who knows the code takes a look at the values and what the code does with them. Pretty please. :D

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I already reworked the Bakha maps, but I'll take a loook at your maps when I'm back home.

The look nice on the screenshots, but it's really hard to tell if they're better, cause the pics are pretty small.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
The pics are thumbnail links to 1280x1024 shots... :nervous:

There are some parts where the armour plating is not spot on in relation topolygons in the model, that's because I simpley drew the lines on top of the old texture which had the gaps between the plates about a mile wide so I had to kinda guesstimate where the actual poly edges were in the model and so on. But in fact it looks kinda good to my eye in-game.

Though, if you have already reworked them, I don't doubt your job will most likely surpass mine in quality. Could you post some screens too? :)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I made them in like ... ten minutes or less. Therefore, my maps do not looks very great.
On the other hand, the texture isn't that hard to upgrade.

Afaik UnknownTarget is working on a HTL version of it, that will use new maps, so it's only temporary anyway...
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Turambar

i dunno, last time UT worked on a vasudan ship, he kinda chickened out halfway through

*hacking cough* PTAH *cough*

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
A shot of my version:

(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Cool. :yes: The hull plating lines looks better there than on my version IMO. And the cockpit also seems to be more seamlessly attached to the hull.

Wanna try my glow map on it?