Author Topic: Freespace 2 pandora port  (Read 2923 times)

Freespace 2 pandora port
look what i found,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a2/Pandora-latest-080508.jpg

I just heard about the open source handheld Pandora (http://www.openpandora.org/index.php)
and as i saw the specs, the obvious question poped into my head.

Will it run freespace2?(on low quali)

greetings

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Re: Freespace 2 pandora port
what os does that thing run and if not one of the standard ones can it be hacked to do so?
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

it runs on pandora(a linux distribution)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
hmmm, it says on the openpandora.org site that it runs quake 3

so it should b able to run at least retail

but im not sure actually PLAYING freespace with an xbox 360 esque control scheme would be that amusing, especially since it lacks thumbsticks

unless you call those two circles of plastic thumbsticks (PSP-style?)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
That's thing has enough buttons for me to play. Nice how it has dual joysticks. just like the psp style joystick except two of them.
I'd worry about what processor that thing has.

Why are people playing quake 3 on it? Openarena would be a much better test for it. Openarena is a free quake 3 and team arena implementation and much better engine with bugfixes and new features compared to the old quake 3.

Would have been a better test to have a better working and superior quake 3 on that thing is all i'm saying.

It might be able to handle some low level mvp's. But, it'll probably just do the fso engine and retail graphics like everyone says.
I think i'm going to get a pandora when it comes out now that i've seen a picture. It can be a little game player and a computer. And with linux i can change the software!!! Put apps on there!! It wont be as gay as having an iphone or something dumb like that.

As opposed to everyone on engadget being curious wtf the pandora is supposed to be for and which gaming company it's supposed to take on. I'd just buy one purely for not using it for games.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:53:44 am by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Tarwin

• Open Pandora
I'm one of the few crasys that already bought one last year (est. shipping date april 09), and as such are watching the whole thing with a close eye. And i would love the see FS2_open on it *craving look to Freespace boxes in shelf*

The Pandora is designed to emulate. The design goal was PSX at full speed. This is almost possible at the moment.
CPU is a ARM based TI Corex CPU, very fast, very energy efficent. As this isn't a x86 CPU, its not possible to run Windows, or anything that runs on Windows. But Linux runs just fine. 
It has a 3D accelerated GPU (OpenGL 2.0 ES) as well, so you can expect decent 3d Speed from it.

@S-99: I really think they meant openarena. Old Q3 can't run on it, as its windows only. 

Big question:
Has anyone ever got the engine to run on ARM? If yes, it will only be a matter of time that Freespace will hit Pandora. And if i have to port it myself! ^^; 

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:02:32 am by Tarwin »

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
That would be frakking amazing. If FS2 runs on it, I'll sell my SP, and buy a Pandora instead of a Wii.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Definitely keep your wii and get the homebrew channel for it. The homebrew channel is cool because you can then use your wii as a tiny media box for streaming videos from another source (wii mplayer), play dvd's (there's no technical reason why the wii can't except that nintendo didn't include dvd movie software in the wii), run linux, and a whole slew of emulators like gameboy, snes, etc...

On an unrelated note, the wii should be powerful enough to play fs2 open (idk about with all of the media vp's but perhaps, the wii and gamecube has much more powerful graphics than a ps2 or xbox 1, and we all have seen that you don't need the world's most powerful graphics card to run with media vp's). Idk how you'd get it away though, definitely starting with compiling the fs engine source code in the least.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.