Poll

The GTVA Colossus is never explicitly given a ship type in game, so what do you think it is closest to?

Juggernaut
59 (62.8%)
Superdestroyer
17 (18.1%)
Super Capital Ship
13 (13.8%)
Destroyer
0 (0%)
Warship
5 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: What Ship Type is the GTVA Colossus?  (Read 38572 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Re: What Ship Type is the GTVA Colossus?
If you set a Sath as friendly, when it takes damage it sends the Terran AWACS damaged and critical messages.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Really? :eek2:

I should try that.

Offline jakeslogan

• Star Pilot
Where did it say that that part of the cutscene was in Gamma Draconis? The voiceover was only saying that the Colossus would be used to fight the Shivans in 'the mysterious nebula beyond Gamma Draconis'. It's in a different system when you see it come past the camera.
Well :D, maybe they shouldn't zoom-in Gamma Draconis then show the Colossus after that, it might lead to misunderstanding. :confused:
[size=20]Freespace 2 + Star Trek: Bridge Commander = Perfect Space Simulator Game.[/size]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
If you set a Sath as friendly, when it takes damage it sends the Terran AWACS damaged and critical messages.
Whoah, really?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Juggernaut. Simply because the next size up from Destroyer for the Shivans was a Juggernaut according to the GTVA, since the Sath was referred to as such, so I am assuming they would use the same class references as they use for their own ships, since they do up to that point.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hey Flipside has exactly 5000 posts. Funneh.

I agree with Flipside, but some pedantic people always claim that it wasn't ever said that it was a juggernaut, in the same way the Ulysses is never specifically called 'a ship', so really it should be a 'unspecified space-faring combat vehicle'.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Except that ship is a very generic term, and it can be used to refer to any spacefaring... vehicle. Juggernaut and destroyer are one level below in categorization.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The Colossus didn't have a "pure" designation, it simply was the product of the T-V Alliance's efforts in creating an extremely powerful and big warship.

:v:TM never called it a Juggernaut so I don't understand why we should.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:v:TM never called it a Juggernaut so I don't understand why we should.
Because it's the logical designation.

But of course, if you're a purist...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Juggernaut is not a conventional word like destroyer or cruiser. It appears to be a reference to something unconventional and evil so using it to designate good guys' assets would be a bad idea.

Remember the difference between "submarines" and "u-boats"?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

U-boats are German, that's all. Today's German Navy submarines are still called "U-boats". Germany also sold some to Israel, and these are just called "submarines".

So yes, you may be right somehow. The Colossus was GTVA, which is why it has the special designation <nothing> (U-boats), as opposed to other ships of that magnitude which are called "juggernauts" (submarines). But that's not what you meant, I know :P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I remember a speech by Winston Churchill in which he said pretty much this: "We, the good guys, use submarines while them, the bad guys, use U-boats...". This happened even if submarines and U-boats were basically the same thing.

In FS2 the Colossus would be a joint endeavor, a massive ship symbolizing the Alliance the good guys use to defeat the bad guys. The Sathanas, however, would be a "Juggernaut", a big evil warship the bad guys(Shivans) use to threaten the good guys.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I remember a speech by Winston Churchill in which he said pretty much this: "We, the good guys, use submarines while them, the bad guys, use U-boats...". This happened even if submarines and U-boats were basically the same thing.
Doesn't sound very Churchillian.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
That's not a quote from him ("pretty much this") but what I posted is the meaning of his speech.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
And here I sit, wondering why the GTVA thinks "None specified" sounds better than "Juggernaut".
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm wondering why, if the GTVA have used the same class-names for equally sized ships on both sides throughout Freespace 1 & 2, they would suddenly change their mind when it came to the Colossus.

Calling it 'undesignated' would be silly, there's a difference between non-canon and nonsensical.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Juggernaut is a -bad- name. It'd be like naming it the GTSD Manslaughter.

It's not a matter of changing something, it's that they didn't have a classification for the colossus, and didn't encounter the Sath until later.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, you could say the same for the Moloch, the tech description even states that it isn't 'strictly' a Corvette class vessel, but is named that way because it is the closest class to it.

So, if that reasoning can work in one direction, it should be able to work in the other.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I believe :v: could have called the Moloch a "Light Carrier" or SLCa Moloch, but they wanted to simplify things.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I still think it should be GTBB; Galactic Terran Baseball Bat.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!