Author Topic: Sathanas Cutscenes for Retail Substitution  (Read 7962 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Sathanas Cutscenes for Retail Substitution

While Rga's Sathanas was completed early enough to work up cutscenes for it, many people have an appreciation and desire for Bob's Sathanas as a drop in.

I think such a drop in would work best if the cutscenes featuring the Sathanas kept a coherency with that choice by being available in displaying that model if users elect to have it present, or if the community votes are strong enough, that we replace the MediaVP ones with ones featuring Bob's Sathanas, with Rga's (complete with current cutscenes) available as the drop in.

This will then allow for a greater consistency to the user experience, so I'd like to be the first to make it a formal request, as time allows.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Sathanas Cutscenes for Retail Substitution
I think such a drop in would work best if the cutscenes featuring the Sathanas kept a coherency with that choice by being available in displaying that model

Just to make sure I've got your meaning here: you want to provide users the option of cutscenes with Bob's Sathanas model.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I'd want a cutscene with both models in it so it won't matter which Sath model you have in your mediavps. Justify it by implying that the no two Sathanases are exactly alike.

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I'd love to see both models featured together in some way too.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, a version with Bob's one would be welcomed if it's possible.
el hombre vicio...

Offline FSW

I'd want a cutscene with both models in it so it won't matter which Sath model you have in your mediavps. Justify it by implying that the no two Sathanases are exactly alike.
That's an interesting idea, but there is no precedent for it in the FS2 story.

I'd like to be able to choose an alternate version of the cutscene.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I think if your question is of the form "Shall I do more work?" the answer will invariably be yes. So to me, not much of a decision is being presented here. I have no idea how long it takes to remake a cutscene with different models as I have never done that myself. I personally would go not too far out of my way to ensure the cutscene matches the model. I'm one of those people who would be comfortable using bob's model and leaving the cutscene's featuring rga's model alone, but that's just me.

Now if we are talking about 'the user' in a more general sense, I would like to see things kept more consistant. That is one model and one cutscene distributed with the update. Alternates can be made available if people decide to make them. I am still unclear about which model will end up being in the next mediavps update. I thought there would be a contest of some kind perhaps in the form of a poll.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I think such a drop in would work best if the cutscenes featuring the Sathanas kept a coherency with that choice by being available in displaying that model

Just to make sure I've got your meaning here: you want to provide users the option of cutscenes with Bob's Sathanas model.

Correct. I'm a big fan of consistency, so if one is using Rga's model, then it should also be uniformly presented in cutscenes. If somebody chooses Bob's they should have that same consistency.

Most people probably would not care about such discrepancy. That doesn't mean that we should ignore that it will exist and try and address it.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Online Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I think that it would be cool to have BOTH models included!  :warp:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
It really would be pretty sweet to have both types in the main campaign.  Just fantasizing about the Capella supernova cutscene with both types, the concept Sath, and maybe even a couple retail ones so far in the background that you can't tell how much they suck by comparison :D

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You know, different looking saths sounds real interesting. I am intrigued.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Regardless of what FSU does.. I won't be putting multiple different Saths in the cutscene. Personally, I think the idea is silly.. and we have no canon evidence for that to be the case for any Shivan craft... but that's just me.

I'll consider working up ANIs and cutscenes that feature each one for user-end consistency, though.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
IMHO the cutscene models and the game models in retail haven't really been that consistent, so having one in the MediaVPs and the other in the cutscenes won't make too much difference, (dependant on HOW different they are I suppose).
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I haven't been saying anything about that idea but now I just need to.
Stop trying to make weird things happen people, really...what's there to win in adding two different models in a single intel anim anyway?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I'll consider working up ANIs and cutscenes that feature each one for user-end consistency, though.

Thank you. :D

Stop trying to make weird things happen people, really...what's there to win in adding two different models in a single intel anim anyway?

This. By over nine-thousand.

I realize that as we advanced the game play models, their ability to match the Intel Anims, CB Anims and Cutscenes has diverged. Hell, even in retail, they diverged.

That doesn't mean that the have to continue doing so if at all possible. Now, I'm not saying that ever new model ALSO needs to have all the various Anims it's in redone to match it. While that WOULD be cool, it would also be severe over load and delay releases and that's just not cool. But this is a BIG ship. And as such it deserves to have the request made at the very least.

If anybody makes up a mix--n-match Sathanas Collage, that's their business, but not in the MediaVPs.

¤[D+¬>