Author Topic: Having problems with FreeSpace?  (Read 156921 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Having problems with FreeSpace?
I have had to reinstall Java before to get the .jar to open correctly.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

I uninstalled reinstalled and updated java then tried to run it through the command prompt and it's telling me that it's ''unable to access  jarfile freespaceopeninstaller.jar.

Hm, are you sure that FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar is not corrupted?

I've deleted and redownloaded it a few times so I was under the impression I'd be safe from that too.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Could you post exactly what you typed into the command prompt? Can you also post where the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar is? i.e.  the command prompt needs to be in the same directory that the jar file is in, or you need to give a full/relative path to it.

maybe something like:

"java.exe -jar c:\users\me\Downloads\FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar"
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

c:\users\jcoup>java.exe -jar thispc\windows(c:)freespace2\freespaceopeninstaller.jar is what I've been trying. It just gives me the error that it is unable to access jarfile then lists what I typed into the command prompt above.

java.exe -jar thispc\windows(c:)freespace2\freespaceopeninstaller.jar
This looks weird.

Try:
Code: [Select]
java.exe -jar c:\freespace2\FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar

tried it.....same thing

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That is weird.

Could you try copying/saving FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar to this location:

c:\users\jcoup
And then run this command?

java.exe -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar
(and if that still doesn't work, I'm really confused)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

That finally did it. You're one cool ass dude thanks.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Perhaps there was a space in the path.  In which case, you need quotes.

java -jar "c:\games\freespace 2\fsopeninstaller.jar"
Running it without the quotes will cause the command interpreter to stop at "freespace" and put the rest in as an argument to that command, e.g., it will pass "2\fsopeninstaller.jar" to the non-existent "c:\games\freespace.exe"

I'm still getting the "Unhandled error in setting HKLM key in registry! Access is denied" error in wxlauncher after following all the steps in this thread: wxlauncher unhandled error. Not sure what else to try at this point, so any help would be appreciated! I'm running Windows 10.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
When you double-clicked on the .reg file, what happened?   Did it ask for confirmation, then say "registry import successful" or somesuch?  Or did it just open the text in Notepad?

When you double-clicked on the .reg file, what happened?   Did it ask for confirmation, then say "registry import successful" or somesuch?  Or did it just open the text in Notepad?

It did import the .reg file successfully. I also went into regedit and made sure that all the Volition/Freespace2 keys under HKEY_USERS as well as HKEY_CURRENT_USER grant full control to "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES". Ultimately, I was never able to get this working under the release (0.10.1) wxlauncher version, but I finally tried the 0.11.0 pre-release which worked right away.

Thanks for the reply!

Offline BoOReD

Hello, i've tried googling this without much success, does this work on windows10? Thank you!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hello, i've tried googling this without much success, does this work on windows10? Thank you!

Yes, it does.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cien

Hey, I am new here  :nod:.
Do I need the english version to run mods? I have got the germane one.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Try hopping on the HLP Discord server and asking for a more immediate answer.  I would think the German version could be used as a base for installing FSO, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Also,

:welcome:

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but I need some help getting FreeSpace 2's input just right.

This year, after how long, I revisited Descent FreeSpace (FSport) and FreeSpace 2. I got through Descent FreeSpace alright, so far so good. I made sure to disable mouse input so that it can't interfere with my joystick. I beat the game (main campaign, not including Slient Threat expansion) with no problems, and then I proceeded to update my downloaded mods through Knossos, and then moved on to FreeSpace 2.

I began playing the first mission (Surrender, Belisarius!), and I noticed that not only was mouse input on, but there was a strange rolling as my ship kept on tumbling. I hit F2, and DISCOVERED I COULDN'T SWITCH MOUSE INPUT OFF. I got "Mouse Input: Mouse/JOY-0" rather than "Mouse Input: On/Off", and now I'm stuck. What's going on? I update, and now I keep tumbling and my mouse can't be switched off. I even tried Retail and MediaVPs 4.5 and It didn't help at all. Help?

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
First of all, welcome back!

Secondly,  There was a major change to the controls as of FSO version 22.0.  The mouse and joystick controls were finally split to be independant of each other, and multi-joy is now available.

We've also recently added a FAQ to the wiki, since this is a major change. (Why we didn't have such a page to begin with is another matter)

Right. So.  Go to your controls config menu and remove the Mouse axes bindings from your pitch and roll.  There should be a second column of bindings instead of just the one that you are normally accustomed to.  This will effectively turn the mouse OFF.  If you want to totally disable the mouse from activating weapons, etc. then you should unbind all buttons, too.  (Remember that you can use the Search button to quickly find the action an axis or button is bound to).
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.