Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 228143 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Official new people thread!
:welcomeblue:
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline vazor

• Freeing minds, 01 at a time.
    • Twitter
    • Homepage
Hello!

I am a fan of the original Descent and a friend invited me to check out this project. I hope to be able to support the project with coding work.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hello!

I am a fan of the original Descent and a friend invited me to check out this project. I hope to be able to support the project with coding work.
:welcomered:

If you want help learning about the code and/or compiling FSO, come join us on IRC! Us coders can usually be found in the #scp channel on EsperNet (irc.esper.net).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well...I guess this is me saying hi.

I've been lurking around on the forums a bit just to read on everyone's thoughts of BP and theories, and what not. Quite honestly, I got into Freespace 2 before 1 due to watching Wing Commander (the film UGH), and I felt so disgusting I wanted to have fun with a set up like that film's space CG...instead of StarLancer, I picked up Freespace 2. Nothing was the same ever since. Sad thing is I am one of the few who ever brings up GTVA, Shivans, Bosch's Beer runs (hopefully someone will get that reference), and Capella (did a science project on Supernovae because of those blasted Shivans...and Sephiroth, no not the Rakshasa class cruiser!). Now I see FSO and Blue Planet...it's such a sci-fi footnote in mod gaming community. Youtube has a few channels of let's plays with commentary over it all. Hell, I have some of my close friends now who saw the 'dive dive dive' moment, which was edited I didn't give most away, and said 'HOLY **** what game is that!? SHOW MORE!!!'. The whole nostalgic feelings were coming back in me to play this again and to find Hard-Light. I would love to help out Blue Planet anyway possible, either be music or art or motion graphics. Hopefully, someone has art of both Bei and Noemi.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Welcome out of the lurk zone mate.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

;7 You're welcome.

Offline StasisCell

• Looking to contribute to an active campaign
Hello, all!  I honestly can't believe i haven't joined sooner.  I started playing freespace and fs2 shortly after their release and i even made my own campaign way back in the day.  It was crude, but functional.  I have since forgotten how to fred, but i am back into it, replaying all of the new content created by you creative geniuses, and diving back into fred.  I would love to get onto a project like blue planet if anyone is looking for an extra hand.  I also have a new mod idea in mind if anyone is looking for one.  But, i just wanted to say hi and that i will be around and trying to contribute to the community in any way that i can.

Hello, all!  I honestly can't believe i haven't joined sooner.  I started playing freespace and fs2 shortly after their release and i even made my own campaign way back in the day.  It was crude, but functional.  I have since forgotten how to fred, but i am back into it, replaying all of the new content created by you creative geniuses, and diving back into fred.  I would love to get onto a project like blue planet if anyone is looking for an extra hand.  I also have a new mod idea in mind if anyone is looking for one.  But, i just wanted to say hi and that i will be around and trying to contribute to the community in any way that i can.

Welcome to the hub of Freespace fun and modder community! ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

FREDders are sorely needed by a number of campaigns.  I recommend creating a sample mission and posting it in the Missions and Campaigns board as an audition, so to speak.

Offline StasisCell

• Looking to contribute to an active campaign

FREDders are sorely needed by a number of campaigns.  I recommend creating a sample mission and posting it in the Missions and Campaigns board as an audition, so to speak.

Right, will do.  Weekend is coming up, so look for it soon!   

Hello everyone, another longtime Descent player here. Thanks to advertisements in the packaging of Descent 3, I first picked up and flew through the Freespace series in the mid 2000s and loved it. A few years later I felt like playing the campaigns again and since I had discovered D2X-XL for Descent I hoped that something similar might be available for Freespace. The SCP Media VPs blew me away and I'm grateful to everyone involved for making an awesome game even better!

I just recently decided to install FS2open again and use it as a first step in introducing my girlfriend to a joystick before throwing her into the twin joystick, 6dof madness of Descent and its modern children. Much to my delight I discovered the 2014 VPs so now I'll be replaying the game again and hopefully looking into some of the player-created campaigns. I thought it was finally time to stop in and express my appreciation for all the work that so many people have put into the project. Thank you all!  :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Welcome to the board and looking forward to seeing your feedback :yes:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Hello from another rookie here! I haven't really played the Freespace series (yet), but I am a big fan of the entire Wing Commander series and X(-wing). I discovered FS2Open some time ago and I kept it in the back of my head, while lurking around the forums. I'm studying to become a game-artist (and I'm already a somewhat experienced 3D artist), and an amateur designer/programmer (mainly C#, and I'm slowly getting to C++). I intend, or attempt more appropriately, to use FS2Open to develop a prototype for a space combat sim, before diving into either Unreal Engine or Unity where I'd have to develop everything from scratch. I really hope this community is ready for my ranting about if something is possible or not  ;).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

Don't hold back. Ask away. We welcome all newcomers.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Not new to FS2 nor FSO but don't think I ever posted before.
Been away for a couple of years though and boggled at all the
new mod projects. :-) So, Hi!

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr

*waves.  :cool:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Hi, revisiting FS2 after a long, long break. Big shout to the Oolite guys too! Whoot!. Stupid question: just installed GoG FP2 and currently installing the basic FSO package: how do I launch FS2 with the new bells and whistles, or will this be stunningly obvious? Thanks.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:welcomeblue:

To launch FS2 with the new bells and whistles, start wxLauncher, select "MediaVPs 2014" in the Mods tab, select your GoG install folder & the 3.7.4 FS2 Open (standard) executable and click play.  If you want a few more graphical goodies & you have a recent-ish video card, rerun the installer, select custom, then select all options under "2014 FSU MediaVPs" (except the radaricons, they often seem to have troubles downloading and they're not really needed). If you have any issues, post, or join the #freespace IRC channel (there's a link under the HLP button at the top of the page).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Hi, revisiting FS2 after a long, long break. Big shout to the Oolite guys too! Whoot!.
Hello, Phantom T Cat. It's good to see you.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Well, hey there. It's been some time since I last posted (been using a different account "TParis")

I have been following all the impressive work that has been going on over for all these years. Decided to start fresh again with this new account. If that's a problem please contact me via PM and I'll switch back to my old account. I'm currently writing up a Steam guide which covers a proper FS Open installation on modern systems.

Great to be back!