Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 228065 times)

Re: Official new people thread!
Hello everyone! Greetings from Serbia!

I've read somewhere on this forum 'and you've been stalking the forum for a quite while now' and I thought 'Yeah, I did, for quite some time I should at least join now'.

So here I am, just another guy who played both FSs waaaaay back that got implemented in my brain, like, forever.   :D

I had tons of problems with the game + mods, they wouldn't work at all or something would be missing, crashes, etc, etc, and all of that came to an end like 2 days ago when I bought the game from GoG and installed Knossos and everything works pretty well without a single error. So good.

I just want to express my gratitude towards everyone here on the forum, to the people who made mods for FS, and to the game developers themselves.

It's almost 20 years since when this game was released and I love it more than ever. Got the original music extracted out for the casual listening when chilling :D

So, cheers to you all folks!

ps: sorry for my bad English

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

Glad to have you on board!  And your English is better than a lot of Americans' English. ;)

Offline Quyzbuk

Hello everyone, another Freespace fan of old here just joining.

Looking forward to playing again, but could use a bit of info here. I still have my original 5-disc copy of the game, can I use that to get things up and running or would I need to buy one of the new versions from GoG or Steam? I've been looking to figure out how I would go about this but can't seem to pin down any concrete details. I don't have any problems with double dipping on a game like this, but if there is something out there I can use to get the needed files onto the computer from my physical copy, that'd be great.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
First off,

:welcomeblue:

If your old disc copy of Freespace 2 can install on your current machine, you should still be good to go. Then, grab Knossos (the new launcher--it's basically steam for Freespace mods) and you should be good to go.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

It's alive! It's alive!!! I can scarcely believe that my all time favourite space game, and one of my top 5 games of all time, is alive again! I spent literally thousands of hours playing FS and FS2 20 years ago and was very sad when an updated DX more or less killed off the game. So, imagine my delight when I randomly came across this web page! FS2 again! And it works!!

I just want to express my heartfelt thanks to everyone who's contributed to the Frespace Open project. I can't begin to imagine the countless hours of development time that went in to this, and it's free! Incredible  :eek2:

Really looking forwards to taking the controls of Alpha 1 again after so many years...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

You are certainly in for a treat.  Check out this thread as well as this page on the wiki.

Hi, everyone! Newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online modding community. I'm hoping to learn more and to have fun with the other members here. Cheers! :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:19:09 am by GregSheifer »

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Hi, everyone! Newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online modding community. I'm hoping to learn more and to have fun with the other members here. Cheers! :)

Welcome. Enjoy your stay.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hi Bryan See, welcome to hlp.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Speaking of GregSheifer, was that a spambot now, or will we never know?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The preponderance of evidence indicates that GregSheifer was indeed either a scammer or a spammer, though perhaps not a bot.  See here and following.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
The preponderance of evidence indicates that GregSheifer was indeed either a scammer or a spammer, though perhaps not a bot.  See here and following.
It could be a Russian troll or simply an account created by such. I suggest you exercise caution.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Gasbow

Hello Everyone,

I've been a Fan of Freespace since I was a kid and space combat sims have always been my favourite genre of games.
The continued support these games have received is amazing.

And now I have decided to see if I can add something to this project myself.
In my dayjob I'm a software developer working in C++ and C to a lesser degree. I've mostly worked in mathematical code and signal processing and have absolutely no experience in actual game dev ;)

Over the next days I will be pestering the folks in the SCP discord with newbie questions, while trying to get a hold of the code base.

Cheers,

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Over the next days I will be pestering the folks in the SCP discord with newbie questions, while trying to get a hold of the code base.

Sounds great. DahBlount is the man to talk to, but I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting access to the code base, FSO is very open source. :-)

TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Just joined today. Trying to get some help getting freespace games to work on an old PC so that I can join this universe. I have old cds of Freespace 1 and Silent Threat, along with the gog.com download of Freespace 2 and I am trying to get them all to work through Freespace Open but I think I need a graphics card upgrade. Can anyone recommend a good card for a 2007 Windows Vista Dell? I can provide more info if so. Also is a joystick completely necessary for good play? I feel this is a good thread to ask these questions as I am so new as to be trying to merely begin! lol thanks for the welcome and any advice any may have.

Joystick is not mandatory, I play with keyboard and mouse, there are people who play with full keyboard, even a few weirdos who play with a trackball. :P You'll be fine.

In theory, you shouldn't need a graphics card update to play FSO with a machine from 2007, you'll just have to be careful about what modern functionality you turn on in the launcher - keep the shadows off for one, they're the biggest performance hog.

Also, FS1 won't work with FSO, what you want there is the FS1 port to FSO - same game, just better looking.

If you have the GoG download, you should be able to install FSO via Knossos easily enough, check it out here:
Knossos Installer and Mod Manager
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dwight

• Twitter
oh Hai!
Imma new around here and a pretty much fan on the space dogfighting genere.
is there something I would need to know like community laws or sorts like that?
and also,I've downloaded freespace 2 and the knossos,now what next?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
@all: Don't forget to join the HLP Discord if you feel so inclined.  Welcome aboard!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
@Dwight: now you need to use Knossos to set up your Freespace installation and then download Freespace Open and MediaVPs. From that point you are free to do basically whatever you want.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Freespace Open = FSO, and the latter name is listed in Knossos (maybe we should think of search tags?).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Dwight

• Twitter
I can't download anything with my knossos via these 'download with knossos' links,they are just unresponsive.
And also my knossos explore list can't show up, there's only a 'Fetching Mod List' on the bottom and nothing else.
I've forcefully quitted knossos a few times due to glitches and errors...is there something I've broken?